Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorky View Post
That would be ideal. Time may not permit, however. I should have started spending less time online and more time on the ground long ago, but I didn't, and here I am with an Aug. 1 deadline. If I choose another neighborhood, and afterward get to know the Grand Concourse and kick myself for not choosing it, well, I'll deserve the kick.

Most of the information we gather online is imperfect and colored by subjective factors. It's all about your scope and your filters. I'm not going to argue the merits of the safety maps, or the members who made them, with you. I choose not to dismiss them. And this forum is certainly not the first place I've heard of the Grand Concourse being subject to significant urban decay in recent years. But I realize that the solid red all up and down that corridor may overstate the case, and for the sake of all who live there, I hope it does.
I looked at that map and it seems to shade in the area around Yankee Stadium orange. Now there's a lot of red areas not far from there though.

With that said, since you'd be the one to live there, its all about how your personally feel. Go with your instincts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
When the maps were being done, as I remember,sobroguy basically didn't participate because he wanted to be able to actually draw the map the way he wanted it and he wasn't allowed to do that.

Anyone who wants to gain insight into the map and why it is the way it is should read the whole thread.The maps weren't just dictated from above.They have evolved.Lots of Bronx residents did contribute info on their neighborhoods and quite often colors and lines have been changed when there has been a consensus to do so.

If you look at The Bronx map closely you will see that the entire South Bronx is not all red.There are in fact 5 or 6 areas that are orange and the lower Grand Concourse is one of them.The South Bronx had at one time been all red but some ,including me,suggested that it shouldn't be all red.

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=2...02838,0.174408

Most posters,almost unanimously,have always said that the lower GC itself isn't that bad.It's the side streets,particularly to the East that people have problems with.Actually,if you look really closely you will see that the entire Concourse itself is orange all the way up to Bedford Park where it goes yellow.On either side it is red however.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-27-2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
When the thread was started, we specifically asked for the opinions of people who lived in the areas. I know offhand bluedog2, caribny and Wes927 all gave their opinions on their respective neighborhoods, whether by PM or posting directly on the thread.

People have to speak up. If you don't speak up, don't sit there and complain that your opinion wasn't taken into consideration.

Oh, and you're one to talk, with all this constant rhetoric of "Oh, The Bronx is bad. The only good areas are areas like Riverdale, Throgs Neck, Woodlawn, etc"
I'll tell you what the problem is... People like you who think they're know-it-alls on everyone else's neighborhoods. That's what Henna was getting at. From the short time that I've been on here you do nothing but try to correct everyone, even if they know better. People can't speak up when people like you constantly try to out talk them about their neighborhoods.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I'll tell you what the problem is... People like you who think they're know-it-alls on everyone else's neighborhoods. That's what Henna was getting at. From the short time that I've been on here you do nothing but try to correct everyone, even if they know better. People can't speak up when people like you constantly try to out talk them about their neighborhoods.
Yes, nice of you to make statements without any proof. Go on, show me all these examples of me "doing nothing but try[ing] to correct everyone".

Just like VG8, you can't prove shyt. You just sit there making these general statements and hoping people will fall for them.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorky View Post
Just about to close on my Manhattan place and move on out of the stratosphere, cost-wise, after 39 years. Still in love with the city, including its subway system, and don't want to move too far, to which many here can relate I'm sure. Will be renting for now.

Been hemming and hawing about where to go for a long time… I know NJ better than I know the other boroughs, but it isn't my first choice. Focusing on the Bronx and lower Westchester. Looking everywhere, listings-wise. (Online resources are dubious and frustrating, though… hope to find a realtor who'll help, but not terribly optimistic.)

Anyway, yes, this post is about the Grand Concourse. There will be more questions later from me, I'm sure. I just saw a posting on Craigslist and thought, I know it's not the greatest location but I'll bet this apartment is beautiful. And it is, judging by the photos included with the post. It's around E. 161 St.

What do our Bronx-watchers think? Is the Grand Concourse, and specifically that lower area of it, really a bad idea for an older single woman to call home? Are things looking up at all around there since the safety map here was made?
I'd suggest you check out the upper Concourse as well if you haven't already. I'm really only around 161st when trying to get out of jury duty though. In comparison, the upper portion of the Concourse is a lot quieter. Open space in this part of the Bronx is especially nice.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM

A know-it-all and aggressive to boot I see.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
A know-it-all and aggressive to boot I see.
Saying that you're making baseless statements is aggressive now?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Gros, check you inbox. BTW all the concourse is safe. Please no blanket racist comments or suggestions.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Gros, check you inbox. BTW all the concourse is safe. Please no blanket racist comments or suggestions.
Thanks Norwood Boy. Good suggestion.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You made the Jackson Heights historic district "seedy"? I think parts of Jackson Heights are seedy (like along Roosevelt Ave), but certainly not the areas between 37th Ave and Northern Blvd in most of the 70s and 80s streets.

This area was made clear. I'm not sure when checkmate did it, because I certainly didn't do it. But your suggestion definitely did not fall upon deaf ears. Our apologies if we did not make the change in a timely manner.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City