Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 PM

10 posts, read 16,447 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. Really, I won't be going to work everyday at LGA so being right near the airport neighborhoods isn't essential at all. I generally will go to LGA once or twice a week, then fly a 2-4 day trip away from home then I'll return home for 3-4 days. So the commute will not be as big of a deal as if I had to do it twice a day like the average person. It will be more like 1-2 commutes a week to/from LGA on average.

45-55 minutes on a train/bus isn't a big deal. I do that currently in Chicago.. I really would like to avoid a car if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Sunnyside would fall into the preferred range via transit, as you can take the 7 to the bus to LGA. Anywhere along Queens Boulevard, where the 7 runs, would work as you could catch the Q48 to LGA. You will need to take a combination of bus/subway or bus only to LGA as it does not have the rail access that you would have at JFK. Kew Gardens would be an hour, with the easiest connection being the E train to the Q33 bus.

The main issue is where the airport is located. To the west is Manhattan, where your budget would be stretched thin, even with a roommate, and to the east is suburban LI, which is not the type of neighborhood that you seek. Parts of close-in Brooklyn meet the neighborhood requirements, and would fall within the transit times sought, yet budget-wise, you are at/near Manhattan prices.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 PM

Thanks, I do think I want to try out Manhattan, I'll certainly hit up all these other areas (Astoria, Sunnyside etc) people listed when I fly in next time to check them out though, maybe I'll like them. Do you guys think 1500-1800 is really not enough (for a roomate deal)? What is a normal price to pay for a decent shared place in a good area of Manhattan?

I really liked being in the center of everything in Chicago, so that is kinda what I am looking for here.. I like being where friends always wanted to come out to my area. I've lived out of the way before and it's kinda a pain to constantly take a train or bus everywhere you need to go, and people don't like to visit as much lol..

I appreciate all the advice so far!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
If you can swing it, why not do a few days of airbnb places in a few different neighborhoods and try out the commute to LGA from each place? I just think that if you decide to take the risk of, say, living in the West Village, that you might be really horrified when you try your first commute to LGA at 4am. And after you've signed a year's lease it would be too late to move.

I do think from what you've described, you should probably be in Manhattan, especially if you don't mind a roommate situation.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you can swing it, why not do a few days of airbnb places in a few different neighborhoods and try out the commute to LGA from each place? I just think that if you decide to take the risk of, say, living in the West Village, that you might be really horrified when you try your first commute to LGA at 4am. And after you've signed a year's lease it would be too late to move.

I do think from what you've described, you should probably be in Manhattan, especially if you don't mind a roommate situation.
Sorry, but what is an airbnb?

I am gonna try that though. I think I will head out for 3-4 days and just go all over from Brooklyn/Queens and throughout Manhattan (and note the commute times) I think I'm a little biased towards the Village areas only because that's the only place I've really spent any time in NYC, and I enjoyed it. Lots of friendly single ladies in the area, very fun area to go out, lots of stuff I like in the area, walking distance to pretty much everything I need etc (although I wish central park was closer by foot).. but I may be missing out on a lot of other great areas too. I'm sure I am

Last edited by RyanP.; 05-30-2013 at 11:32 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanP. View Post
Sorry, but what is an airbnb?

I am gonna try that though. I think I will head out for 3-4 days and just go all over from Brooklyn/Queens and throughout Manhattan (and note the commute times) I think I'm a little biased towards the Village areas only because that's the only place I've really spent any time in NYC, and I enjoyed it. Lots of friendly single ladies in the area, very fun area to go out, lots of stuff I like in the area, walking distance to pretty much everything I need etc (although I wish central park was closer by foot).. but I may be missing out on a lot of other great areas too. I'm sure I am
It's a website that allows you to rent short-term rooms or apartments. https://www.airbnb.com/
You just have to realize that in NYC there are laws against short-term rentals and many of these may be technically breaking the hotel law here in the city. I personally would probably still use it in NYC if I did not live here, but you should read an article or two on the risks before doing so. Airbnb in New York City: After the fine | The Economist

Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 PM

Also, please note that commute times can be extremely different at rush hour vs in the middle of the night on a weekend. Since this is a 24 hour system, there is no down time when the tracks can be maintained. So they have to maintain the tracks while the system is running, which means many many service advisories and interruptions, usually on weekends and at night.

The MTA website has something called the weekender, where you can check which lines will be down or rerouted. It took me a few years of transit mishaps on weekends to finally learn to check prior to going out on any given weekend. http://www.mta.info/weekender.html

Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
A decent 2BR should be in range with a roommate in Manhattan, probably closer to $1800, as I would factor $4k as a guideline when looking for a basic 2BR.

Anywhere along the E would be good, since you could then switch to the q48. The E is on the west side of Manhattan up to the 50s, when it makes the turn towards Queens. That would include: Midtown West, Hell's Kitchen/Clinton, Chelsea, The Village, and parts of Lower Manhattan. I'd factor an hour to and a half for a regular trip via this route, depending upon area in Manhattan.

Any subway that takes you to the q48 would be a good bet because it is a shuttle from Flushing to LGA. It has an overnight period of a few hours when it does not run, I think it is 1am to 5am, or thereabouts.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Anywhere along the E would be good, since you could then switch to the q48. The E is on the west side of Manhattan up to the 50s, when it makes the turn towards Queens. That would include: Midtown West, Hell's Kitchen/Clinton, Chelsea, The Village, and parts of Lower Manhattan. I'd factor an hour to and a half for a regular trip via this route, depending upon area in Manhattan.

Any subway that takes you to the q48 would be a good bet because it is a shuttle from Flushing to LGA. It has an overnight period of a few hours when it does not run, I think it is 1am to 5am, or thereabouts.
Thanks,

Did you mean the Q33 at Jackson Heights? I am looking at the map now and it Looks like the E doesn't touch the Q48?

Looks to me like I would have to transfer to the 7 train to get to the Q48? Or am I looking at it wrong?

and speaking of trains, is the N train or any of the others that cross the East river any more reliable than the others? Or is there any trains to avoid? If I lived someplace that required a train connection in midtown somewhere to the N,E, F, or 7 to get me across the East river .. how long does a typical connection usually take? 10-20 minutes?

Last edited by RyanP.; 05-31-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Look in Midtown East. Stay between 45th st (by the E) and 65th st (by the F). Either will take you right to the Q33. It is also one of the most affordable parts of Manhattan without having to go too far north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City