Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,831,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxMan314 View Post
Another question about the Bedford Park area ... Has anyone heard anything about what they are planning to do to the Armory over there?? Is it still going to be an Ice skating rink?? If so then that will definitely improve the Bedford Park area in years to come. That will attracted money and new comers .. So I would say Bedford Park has some future potential.

The apartment buildings will keep their current renters but the surrounding houses will be up for grabs if they do something nice with the Armory ..
And If it can bring jobs .. that will definitely be a plus ..

So I can see Bedford Park improving within the next 5 or 10 years .. depending on when they actually decide to do something with it ..
If you're talking about the armory in Kingsbridge, yes, the city signed the deal with developer. It will be turned into a skating rink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 03:52 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,557,737 times
i would imagine that the "Reservoir Oval" addresses that front the curving playground in Norwood are one of the nicer addresses in Norwood. I was in the playground once and the surrounding buildings seemed pretty nice. Rochambeau Ave close to the hospital seems decent enough. Ive read that 204th and up east of Bainbridge are declining somewhat

Old 05-31-2013, 04:08 PM

113 posts, read 227,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you're talking about the armory in Kingsbridge, yes, the city signed the deal with developer. It will be turned into a skating rink.
Dude, Google Jerome's Park and look at the Boundary .. The Armory is "Technically" in Jerome's Park
Even on City Data it's within the Boundary

KingsBridge is west of the Major Deegan

Kingsbridge Heights is south of Kingsbridge Rd .. I have been in and around that neighborhood for the past 7 years ..and bascially lived there for 3 years ..

Old 05-31-2013, 04:14 PM

36,922 posts, read 38,882,189 times
That article was from 2007--a good half of decade of change and a recession has occurred. How is Bedford Park different from five years ago?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:18 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,675,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Both Bedford Park and Norwood seem vastly improved over what they looked like and felt like in the 60's and 70's, when I used to come to NY and spend summers with my aunt and cousins.Can't imagine they were any better in the 80's and 90's when NYC was bottoming either, although I didn't spend any time in those places during those years after my aunt died in the late 70's.If they somehow had some kind of renaissance in the 80's and 90's, while the whole city was on the skids ,then they might be the only neighborhoods in the whole city to do so.

So,as far as I can tell,things are probably better than they have been in 50 years.

Specifically regarding Bedford Park,I looked at co ops there 5 years ago (on The Grand Concourse,Mosholu Parkway South and side streets) and have some friends who have been living there for 8 or 10 years.The area definitely looks nicer than it looked 5 years ago and my friends tell me that they feel as tough it has improved quite a bit since they have been there.I think it's a great neighborhood.
50 years! No way sorry. Once again very good article but the area took a beating in the 90's. A lot of the big buildings that did not coop went section 8. My old building being one of them. I grew up in a great 1500 SF apt. It would be known as a classic 6. My neighbor was the former Congressman Mario Biaggi before he moved to the Whitehall in Riverdale. The area changed but seem to have stabilized. The Coop buildings that went coop in the 80's are ok. Some better than others but definitely better than their rental counterparts.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM

Norwood Boy where did you live and what is a 1500 SF apartment?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:25 PM

so that map seems to include Bedford Park in the Jerome Park definition but not Norwood. I thought Jerome Park was by the actual Jerome Park reservoir like Webb, University, Claflin between K'bridge Rd and 197th

Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,983,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
50 years! No way sorry. Once again very good article but the area took a beating in the 90's. A lot of the big buildings that did not coop went section 8. My old building being one of them. I grew up in a great 1500 SF apt. It would be known as a classic 6. My neighbor was the former Congressman Mario Biaggi before he moved to the Whitehall in Riverdale. The area changed but seem to have stabilized. The Coop buildings that went coop in the 80's are ok. Some better than others but definitely better than their rental counterparts.
I'm sure it took a beating in the 90's,especially the early 90's.That was my point,aside from the fact that the neighborhood was no prize in the 20 or 25 years prior to that.I hated going there( Norwood) for the summers back in the 60's and 70's because it seemed really seedy and dangerous to me compared to my own Irish ghetto in Boston.My cousins' Irish ghetto in NYC was much worse.My aunt,who lived there,was no help.She hated it too.

All I'm saying is that it looks and feels better to me than it did way back then and you've confirmed that it got even worse in the 90's.

Personally,I think Bedford Park had it's heyday back around 1900 to 1930 and then had a long 70 year decline, from 1930 until about 2000 and it has been recovering for the last 10 years or so.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM

579 posts, read 941,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I had lots of friends that lived in the Biaggi building back in the 70's and the one across Van Cortlandt Ave with the gardens in the center that Penny Marshall grew up in. Both beautiful buildings in their time. They look nice from the outside but don't know what's going on currently.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM

so according to the map, the "nicest" part of Jerome Park is Van Cortlandt Village, and the "least nicest" part of Jerome Park would be Morris/Creston Avenue in the upper 190's. for me, as soon as I go past the Deegan on Van Cortlandt Park south I am technically in Jerome Park, according to this map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City