Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,610,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Even there, if you saw a multitude of apartments its highly unlikely everyone would deny them. There's no point in not going with her husband.
I know a couple of people in Woodlawn who felt the need to do this after looking for a while with both members of the couple. I don't know how many units they looked at or the time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 03:02 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,616,768 times
you'll be fine there.

lots of non-white people live in Bay Ridge for many years.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,296,355 times
Quote:
Rent prices are advertised. You can't just abritrarily make up rents, as only an idiot would pay more for an apartment than it was advertised.

And I have lived in plenty of majority white areas, I went to Cornell. I never had any problem getting apartments in those areas. And I won't in the future.

You seem to hate the idea of a black person going into Bay Ridge and enquiring about apartments, which is a key indication the OP needs to ignore you.

If her husband is going to be living there, with their daughter, why even bother trying to hide during the rental process?

If someone has an issue with you and doesn't rent out the apartment to you, who gives a crap? There are plenty of other apartments, and most people want to see a few places before they make their decision anyway.
I don't "hate" the idea of anything. I'm just being honest and sharing what I've heard. You're the one trying to sugarcoat things. These are the type of tactics used by realtors when African-Americans have inquired about apartments there... Either they're supposedly "already taken", the "price was incorrect" or some other excuse is given. In fact the link that I posted about African-Americans being turned away mentioned these points.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,334,831 times
Adults can put up with a lot. I would be more concerned about exposing a child to a situation where they would be treated badly.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,831,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I don't "hate" the idea of anything. I'm just being honest and sharing what I've heard. You're the one trying to sugarcoat things. These are the type of tactics used by realtors when African-Americans have inquired about apartments there... Either they're supposedly "already taken", the "price was incorrect" or some other excuse is given. In fact the link that I posted about African-Americans being turned away mentioned these points.
Truthfully, I'm sure that those types of tactics have been used everywhere in the country. So what? You move on to the next person until you get the housing where you want. DUH! Double Duh!

When you apply for anything, be it housing, jobs, or educational programs, you often have to apply to a lot before you get what you want. That's just the way life goes the world over, ultimately for people of all races.

So again, what's your real beef? The Op and her husband should give up on Bay Ridge and move to Brownsville. because some white people in Bay Ridge might be prejudiced?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Adults can put up with a lot. I would be more concerned about exposing a child to a situation where they would be treated badly.
Indeed, and that's what I think the OP was really worried about. Would her daughter be mistreated, or would the environment be hostile to raise her daughter in. Not on whether a landlord might have deep, dark, racist thoughts.

With that said, no one on this thread except for one person has claimed Bay Ridge is that overtly hostile in 2013. I don't know, I don't live there.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Indeed, and that's what I think the OP was really worried about. Would her daughter be mistreated, or would the environment be hostile to raise her daughter in. Not on whether a landlord might have deep, dark, racist thoughts.

With that said, no one on this thread except for one person has claimed Bay Ridge is that overtly hostile in 2013. I don't know, I don't live there.
I have visited a friend there on a number of occasions and I never had any problems but again, I'm an adult. I believe in raising children in a diverse environment. Bay Ridge wouldn't be suitable for me.

OP, consider Queens. We're very diverse here

Old 06-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I have visited a friend there on a number of occasions and I never had any problems but again, I'm an adult. I believe in raising children in a diverse environment. Bay Ridge wouldn't be suitable for me.

OP, consider Queens. We're very diverse here
I'm not saying you're wrong, but Bay Ridge isn't necessarily a hostile environment to raise a Black child in today. And if you go back a few decades, much of Queens would have been far more racist than Bay Ridge could be today, and Black people still dealt with it and raised their kids.

Keep in mind other people here are saying Bay Ridge is diverse these days. I won't comment on said diversity because I don't know the neighborhood that well.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,642,786 times
From crown heights to bay ridge is a MAJOR upgrade. Bay Ridge is many levels above Crown Heights, period.

Op should stop worrying. Nothing will be close to what you already had in crown heights.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but Bay Ridge isn't necessarily a hostile environment to raise a Black child in today. And if you go back a few decades, much of Queens would have been far more racist than Bay Ridge could be today, and Black people still dealt with it and raised their kids.

Keep in mind other people here are saying Bay Ridge is diverse these days. I won't comment on said diversity because I don't know the neighborhood that well.
There is a sizable Arab community in the north part but other than that, I have only seen white people in Bay Ridge. I wouldn't want to live there but to each his own.

I have lived in Queens for 50 years and have watched the changes over time. There are parts here and there that are isolated and very white but where I live is beautiful, and very diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City