U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 22,091 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I know that Bay Ridge is a large neighborhood. Can anyone weigh in about racism there? My husband is African and I am white. We have a toddler and are looking to move to an area with a good neighborhood school. We currently live in Crown Heights, and I have been harassed and gotten comments while living here; however, the place we move to, we plan to be there for a while.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,965,146 times
I wouldn't recommend it. I read an article somewhere that mentioned African-Americans being steered away from renting there. It is diverse but there are not many African-Americans there. Why are you interested in Bay Ridge in particular? If you're looking for a more accepting neighborhood with interracial couples, Park Slope may be better. Bay Ridge has historically been a conservative neighborhood, similar to Dyker Heights and the old Bensonhurst.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 PM

10,629 posts, read 8,515,744 times
I like to believe that the better the schools, the better the education, the less racism.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 22,091 times
We are looking there because the apartments are in our price range. Park Slope is not. Thank you for the feed back.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I like to believe that the better the schools, the better the education, the less racism.
lol... Believing is one thing... Actuality is another. As I said, is Bay Ridge culturally diverse? Sure if you think culturally diverse doesn't include African-Americans. A lot of neighborhoods are technically "diverse" but they have a relatively low percentage of African-Americans in them and Bay Ridge is one of them.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprily78 View Post
We are looking there because the apartments are in our price range. Park Slope is not. Thank you for the feed back.
I see... Well I don't want to discourage you but Bay Ridge is certainly not the place for interracial couples. Someone may come in here and say Oh no, we're not racist. Bay Ridge is VERY diverse. They'll point to the Middle Eastern population (i.e. Arab population in the Northern section), Turkish restaurants, the Hispanic population and the somewhat sizable Asian population, but as I said before there are not many African-Americans there and the reason is because they have not been welcomed there. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either nave or just doesn't know the full scope of the neighborhood. Bay Ridge is a majority White neighborhood and it isn't just a coincidence that it's that way.

Quite frankly I'd say most places in South Brooklyn are off limits for an interracial couple. They may be "diverse", but they don't have large Black populations, sans Coney Island and most of Coney Island isn't exactly anything to write home about.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 PM

2,428 posts, read 3,361,937 times
after living in crown heights, any racial tensions in bay ridge are going to seem trivial

there is a little bit of resentment among some of the white people there towards the growing muslim population, but that's about it. there won't be very many other black people around but i really really doubt your husband will have many problems. there is no place that is going to be perfect. bay ridge is a very quiet, safe neighborhood, i grew up there. the schools are generally quite good and it's a good choice for where to raise your child

Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
after living in crown heights, any racial tensions in bay ridge are going to seem trivial

there is a little bit of resentment among some of the white people there towards the growing muslim population, but that's about it. there won't be very many other black people around but i really really doubt your husband will have many problems. there is no place that is going to be perfect. bay ridge is a very quiet, safe neighborhood, i grew up there. the schools are generally quite good and it's a good choice for where to raise your child
Hehe... Bay Ridge isn't as racist as it used to be but trust me they still steer African-Americans from renting there. It's a White majority for a reason and it isn't just because it's a bit pricier there either in some sections.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:56 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,197,320 times
Have you considered Kensington?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:56 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,533,641 times
Is your African husband a white Zimbabwean? Then no problem!

Seriously I don't think you will be miserable in Bay Ridge. If you mind your own business, nobody will bother you. However, I don't think you will get a warm welcome either.

Is there any reason why you chose BR over other more diverse neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City