Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:19 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

I think LA will continue to grow and infill. Sprawl is reaching a limit! (Although try and tell that to developers)
It may rival NYC in terms of culture and big-city vibe in a few years. I have no doubt that LA will be the largest city in the US in 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Since when did superficial = bland? A little superficialness doesn't equal complete vanilla.

I guess we just have different views on life seeing you'll never be associated with the 'in' crowd or know of anything luxury for that matter.

If Manhattan is too boring for you, just swipe your little metro card and off to the Bronx you go.

K?
Hey, the Bronx has luxuries that match Manhattan at a third of the price! Why would you break the Bronx's balls? It's never done anything to you. If anything, downtown Manhattan is becoming outlandish. It's not the same anymore. Too many strangers are moving in. Hopefully, they won't spread to the outer boroughs and start dominating there (Brooklyn!).

Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think LA will continue to grow and infill. Sprawl is reaching a limit! (Although try and tell that to developers)
It may rival NYC in terms of culture and big-city vibe in a few years. I have no doubt that LA will be the largest city in the US in 50 years.
Well, it will never be the largest CITY. NYC is the fastest growing city in the country in terms of population, not percentage (which is Dallas). But who cares about precentage? If some small town has a pop. of 2 one year and they gain 50% in population, they'll be at 3... Whoop-dee-doo. All that matters are raw numbers.

And this is from the Census and CNN (or MSN?).

Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 PM

274 posts, read 320,118 times
Quote:
That will never happen.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
I doubt it. The government is likely to cut off the flow of illegals in the near term because of the growing anti-immigrant sentiment. This will have a huge impact on slowing the growth of LA's population. Southern California's population can't grow unless there is a steady flow of illegal Mexicans, and some Asians, coming into the area.

Lots of American whites and blacks are leaving the LA area for greener pastures, and personally I can't blame them. The inflow of people from other parts of the USA to LA does not even come close to the outflow of Americans leaving LA on a regular basis.

Quote:

Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default That's like asking...

will the Eagles ever be in the Beatles' league!!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM

53 posts, read 252,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
will the Eagles ever be in the Beatles' league!!
They are, if not better.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:05 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
I could be a smart-ass and post something here that will set a certain member on his a s s and out of the ring, and I may do just that. By posting sane! Will NY, LA and Chicago always be the most meaningful cities? Will some of those fall by the wayside and, who will take their place? That was the question posed. If I stated that entertainment was more meaningful, I meant that it was more influential to Americans and others worldwide than, say...Microsoft or American Express tanking (another member's argument). This is not something up for discussion, what people search for when choosing entertainment is infinitely more substantial than picking a broker or investment firm or bank. Those are the kinds of things you do to insure that your choices for entertainment will be there, and as varied as possible. Now, New York has been hovering around 8 million for decades, I predict the 'city' will top out at 8.6 - 8.7, then slide back down to 7.7 - 7.9 in the coming years. Just my opinion. I also stated that NY, because of its age and outdated culture and future inability to pay for its vulnerable and crumbling infrastructure, would be the first city of the three mentioned to drop a place in its standing. I was never able to answer to a certain member's childish and uninterrupted ranting because, while posting in a hyperactive and overemotional way (continuously), he managed to shut down the thread. Will Los Angeles ever be in NY's league? In the banking and financial world, no. Not ever. So many other ways in which it kicks its neverendingly, fat mouthed, provincial, promotional little a s s, though. This member has only been on this earth for 18 years. I have nose gobblins older than that. You can come home now, Future. Now that I've found you.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:09 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I could be a smart-ass and post something here that will set a certain member on his a s s and out of the ring, and I may do just that. By posting sane! Will NY, LA and Chicago always be the most meaningful cities? Will some of those fall by the wayside and, who will take their place? That was the question posed. If I stated that entertainment was more meaningful, I meant that it was more influential to Americans and others worldwide than, say...Microsoft or American Express tanking (another member's argument). This is not something up for discussion, what people search for when choosing entertainment is infinitely more substantial than picking a broker or investment firm or bank. Those are the kinds of things you do to insure that your choices for entertainment will be there, and as varied as possible. Now, New York has been hovering around 8 million for decades, I predict the 'city' will top out at 8.6 - 8.7, then slide back down to 7.7 - 7.9 in the coming years. Just my opinion. I also stated that NY, because of its age and outdated culture and future inability to pay for its vulnerable and crumbling infrastructure, would be the first city of the three mentioned to drop a place in its standing. I was never able to answer to a certain member's childish and uninterrupted ranting because, while posting in a hyperactive and overemotional way (continuously), he managed to shut down the thread. Will Los Angeles ever be in NY's league? In the banking and financial world, no. Not ever. So many other ways in which it kicks its neverendingly, fat mouthed, provincial, promotional little a s s, though. This member has only been on this earth for 18 years. I have nose gobblins older than that. You can come home now, Future. Now that I've found you.
Youre too cynical

Old 11-10-2007, 04:27 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
Just further clarifying my earlier point with a member who brings out the cynic in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City