Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times

Advertisements

Well, there’s a member in the General US forums saying that NYC is less meaningful than LA, saying that NYC culture is outdated, saying NYC will soon be below LA. I know this is false, but does anybody actually believe this character or is he just trying to falsely glorify LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 08:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
I think its a matter of opinion. Something like this is sort of subjective. But to discredit NYC meaningfulness in relation to the rest of America or the world is a bit much. NYC is the financial capital of America and much of Americas fashion and trends still comes out of that city, can't deny that and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:10 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
Actually Philadelphia, and Boston used to be the most important cities in the US

Then around the late 1800's up to the WW2 Chicago was the center of the United States

Then Los Angeles became the great American city.

NYC used to be crime ridden, decrepid, dirty, and it was seriously suffering from White flight.

Now that it is going gentrified everyone wants to be here. It is considered a mark of success to move here, and experience the place.

Everyone should consider their local cities to be the best. They should never consider another city 3000 miles away. All the cities, and regions should want to compete with each other for the coveted title of best city. That way we foster competition, and force ourselves to improve, and grow. Competitiveness is always a good thing.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM

[quote=NJ Chutzpa

these places you named were important in terms of what? NYC since the founding of wall street has been the financial capital of America, also the home of the fashion industry, the theater and certain types of television.

Chicago has the mercantile exchange and is extremely important in terms of trading in food stuffs. Thats what I meant in terms of important.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:14 AM

Yes. But to say Los Angeles is on NYC’s level of global importance is getting carried away. I won’t deny that LA is important, but it’s global status is nowhere near NYC’s. As we all know, NYC is the leader of the Big Four; which consists of New York City, London, Paris and Tokyo. NYC is a world leader in business, media, live entertainment, finance (2nd to London only because of 9/11), cultural movements, diversity, skyscrapers, nearly everything other than film, which Hollywood has us beat in.

The member I’m talking about claims that entertainment is the most meaningful business in the world. But, I continued to argue that without NYC, Hollywood would have minimal funding and no television network to air off of. This, my friend, is why NYC is the Capital of the World. We are the largest, most significant city in the strongest, most powerful country in the world. NYC, a city? I wouldn’t even call it a City, but an Empire, one that will only become a greater influence, more attractive and a hot urban spot for entertainers, executives, athletes, artists and individuals of every career field in the world other than agriculture, of course.

Take a good look at Hollywood… What has it done to the American youth? Made them more disrespectful, more materialistic, more uneducated and more gangly? Yes, this is one of my many points. I will not argue that Hollywood has a great (negative) influence nationally, but internationally, it gets little attention. And I say this from experience: I’ve spent 2 months in London, a week in Moscow, a week in Paris, and numerous times in Italy, as my grandparents are from Naples, Italy.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
The member I’m talking about claims that entertainment is the most meaningful business in the world.
bro once you read that, you were supposed to stop participating in the convo and just let it go.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
bro once you read that, you were supposed to stop participating in the convo and just let it go.
I can't let it go. Just my personality. I don't let things go.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM

274 posts, read 320,284 times
Quote:
Well, there’s a member in the General US forums saying that NYC is less meaningful than LA, saying that NYC culture is outdated, saying NYC will soon be below LA. I know this is false, but does anybody actually believe this character or is he just trying to falsely glorify LA?
No. It will never happen.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:07 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
[quote=Wild Style;1909065][quote=NJ Chutzpa

these places you named were important in terms of what? NYC since the founding of wall street has been the financial capital of America, also the home of the fashion industry, the theater and certain types of television.

Chicago has the mercantile exchange and is extremely important in terms of trading in food stuffs. Thats what I meant in terms of important.[/QUOTE]

You may want to check up on your american history

Finance was once only one of the many things that this country made a living at. It seems like it now is the only thing, but it used to be different.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Um, I'll go with "false glorifying" for 1000 dollars...seriously, if this individual thinks NYC will ever be an underling to L.A., he's delusional. NYC is an entity onto inself and knock it, ridicule it, show utter distain for it, but it will ALWAYS be a mecca for the masses. Now, he can claim LA is the western version of NYC but to think it will transcend it? Not in anyone who comes to these forums lifetime........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City