Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 AM

35 posts, read 107,036 times

Advertisements

PS I am 100% fluent in Spanish and have to deal with things like cat calling etc here in MExico. I do tend to avoid going out alone when possible but will have to get used to going it alone in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:54 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
All those neighborhoods in queens are safe and you wouldn't stick out in any of them due to your ethnic backgrounds.

Not all of those Brooklyn neighborhoods are safe. Williamsburg and Keningston are.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:01 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
And I'm assuming you'll be looking on the better blocks.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:04 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.a.taylor23 View Post
OK, let me ask this:

Thinking of the areas discussed: Riverdale, Jackson Heights, Sunnyside, Forest Hills, Astoria, Long Island City, and possibly another couple I can't think of right now.

Women, let's assume you are in your late 20s, blonde and have a young baby. Would you feel safe walking around the aforementioned areas during the daytime? Or if you have a daughter fitting that description would you be OK with her walking around the said areas? Would you feel comfortable with your husband walking home from the subway station possibly very late at night?

Men: Let's assume you have wives, girlfriends or daughters that fit the above description. Would you feel comfortable knowing they were walking around these areas, again with a baby. Would you yourselves feel comfortable coming home from work late at night?

On a side note: is there anywhere in Brooklyn that would be appropriate for us? I have found some areas with affordable rents there too and wondered what they were like: Williamsburg, Bushwick, Kensington, Bedford, Crown Heights.....

Thanks again.
Riverdale is perfectly safe at all times of the day and you won't stick out because there are plenty of White people here (majority White), though we have some diversity.

As for these lies about it being so inconvenient, there is plenty of transportation here. We don't have a subway here which apparently is why everyone keeps yelling that it is so "inconvenient". You would think we were in the boonies somewhere. We're right above Manhattan and only a 15 - 20 minute drive from the main action. There is PLENTY of transportation here. Metro North, three express buses and city buses as well. I mean how much more transportation does one need??

Also there are only select parts of Riverdale that aren't as walkable like some areas near me in Fieldston, but most are walkable. Unless you're stuck on the idea that an area is "transportation starved" unless there is a subway rumbling through it you will be just fine here.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.a.taylor23 View Post
OK, let me ask this:

Thinking of the areas discussed: Riverdale, Jackson Heights, Sunnyside, Forest Hills, Astoria, Long Island City, and possibly another couple I can't think of right now.

Women, let's assume you are in your late 20s, blonde and have a young baby. Would you feel safe walking around the aforementioned areas during the daytime? Or if you have a daughter fitting that description would you be OK with her walking around the said areas? Would you feel comfortable with your husband walking home from the subway station possibly very late at night?

Men: Let's assume you have wives, girlfriends or daughters that fit the above description. Would you feel comfortable knowing they were walking around these areas, again with a baby. Would you yourselves feel comfortable coming home from work late at night?
You will have less to worry about in this regard if you live in Riverdale or Forest Hills as opposed to Jackson Heights. Of course, rents are also more expensive in these places for these reasons.

Long Island City and Astoria - check how much the rentals are nowadays. Especially LIC, I think they can be well above $2,500 for a 2BR.

Jackson Heights won't be in issue in terms of fitting in with a baby if you stay within the boundaries as described by Henna. And the main strip where most JHers do their shopping is 37th Avenue which is a clean road. I do not foresee the need to go to Roosevelt Ave. for daily requirements other than to satisfy your curiosity for ethnic cuisine (there are actually ethnic food tours done there). However, your husband will have to face the unsightly views of Roosevelt in his daily commute. Also, JH is still lacking in casual dining options and cafes unlike in other places. For that you will have to drive somewhere else. But again, rents there are relatively cheaper and you will find a 2BR in a good prewar building for $2,000 or a little less.

Given all the considerations you posted, including your husband's commuting preferences, I believe the best neighborhood for your family will be Riverdale even if you have to extend your budget. Other than having to pay a little more, I don't think there will be anything else you need to worry about.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 PM

38 posts, read 116,821 times
I would give a thumbs up for living in forest hills, its a ~45 min commute... and is a nice area.

The EFMR subways stop there as well as several express buses... when i worked in midtown the Qm12 from forest hills to 6th and 38th st was ~35-40min.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 AM

119 posts, read 207,042 times
I think it is possible to get a 2 bedroom for 2k in Astoria. I believe my neighbors were paying that when we were in Queens. (But forget Manhattan )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City