U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM

2,754 posts, read 3,415,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm confused. I thought this poster grew up in Glendale, Queens. How can he also be a hipster from Ohio? What did I miss? Why do you have to harass everyone who moves to Ridgewood? What is your problem?
When you learn reading comprehension i'll answer your question... In terms of your the answers you seek to find... Search his posts, and you'll realize the stupidity of your statement... With that I'm off this for today... It appears as if even city-data is being invaded by non-newyorkers imposing their force fed opinions down our throats and I'm too tired to debate today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 03:43 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,433,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person500 View Post
That's nice to hear. I don't think Queens Plaza is very sketchy. It always seems safe late at night, whether walking through there or ...
It's not sketchy. The area has a rep because that's where prisoners from rikers have typically been released with a metrocard

Old 06-08-2013, 03:44 PM

7,213 posts, read 12,072,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
When you learn reading comprehension i'll answer your question... In terms of your the answers you seek to find... Search his posts, and you'll realize the stupidity of your statement... With that I'm off this for today... It appears as if even city-data is being invaded by non-newyorkers imposing their force fed opinions down our throats and I'm too tired to debate today...
Well, I will admit your posts are hard to read given your excessive usage of ellipses. You should realize that you need to learn how to write properly in order to be understood.

So maybe I missed something, but the way I read it, you have a massive anger problem, and this guy grew up in Glendale. Usually you LOVVVVVVVVE natives so I guess you have it out for this guy. Or you think he is lying. Whatever. You are the one with the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I grew up in Upper Glendale by Woodhaven Blvd and have moved out of the neighborhood about 7 years ago. Lived there for decades and to be honest, rarely used any services in Ridgewood or Lower Glendale. For the most part primarily used Forest Hills, followed by Middle Village or Rego Park. If I grew up in Lower Glendale wonder if it would of been more so Ridgewood, Maspeth, or even Bushwick.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:53 PM

3,758 posts, read 2,082,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm confused. I thought this poster grew up in Glendale, Queens. How can he also be a hipster from Ohio? What did I miss? Why do you have to harass everyone who moves to Ridgewood? What is your problem?
Its all good. He's just scared of getting pushed out of ridgewood and moving back to ENY where he belongs. Have some compassion for the poor guy.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
So you admit you're a hipster/transplant... After that whole schpeel about my family has lived here since the 50s you finally come clean... Why is it so hard for transplants to just say where there actually from... Are you that ashamed of your former past that you need to claim NYC to feel some sort of acceptance... Be yourself and buck everybody else... The problem so many have with folks like you is your lack of sincerity... "BROOKLYN BASED"... what the hell is that... just say a little taste of Ohio flavor as opposed to claiming something you all clearly have no idea about...
For the record, I never once said my family lived in Ridgewood since the '50s, but we have settled in just about every single bordering neighborhood since the turn of the 20th century. Your probably more of a transplant than I am. At least I was born into 11385. Sorry that we didn't move out to the midwest or the 'burbs just because you came into town.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,839 times
I just moved to Himrod and Fairview a couple of weeks ago and I've found it to be safe, and the neighbors very friendly. (Though I should add I don't really go out all that late at night.) It's a bit of a hike to the subway but the B38 goes right up Stanhope from the Dekalb L.

There's a real neighborhood-y feel--you can say "good morning" to people as you walk around and they seem genuinely happy to say it right back to you.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:24 PM

2,754 posts, read 3,415,950 times
Dear Ridgewood,

Unfortunately, you too have been discovered. It was only a matter of time considering the neighborhoods surrounding you before hipsters/transplants began invading your working class immigrant (and apparently neighborhood-y feel) neighborhood. You had a good run but nevertheless, all good things must come to an end. Goodbye working class first, second and third generation Italians; goodbye blue collar Albanians, Romanians, Chinese, Korean, Filipinos; Goodbye working middle class Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Ecuadorians, Mexicans and goodbye Arabs, Egyptians, Nepalese and all other Middle Eastern folk. This neighborhood very soon will no longer be affordable for you. For renters, prepare to see rents approach 2000 and above where only a specific kind of renter will be clueless enough to not realize what market rates are. This specific event happened along one block near your central area towards the Bushwick border. The average rental rate within that block of yours was 1100 and yet a couple of Ohioans saw this fantastically awesome deal of 2300 a month for a two bedroom and realized they could not pass that up. For homeowners, out of those select few who will not just look at $$$ and fly out of this completely unrecognizable city from just 10 years ago, you all will see your taxes inflate to the point where you too will eventually have to rent to the people sucking every single bit of culture and blue collar feel of every relatable neighborhood in this city. Goodbye Ridgewood.

Sincerely,
Anon1 (It's only a matter of time before I too pack up and join the masses somewhere along the North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, region)

Ridgewood 1800s-2010
RIDGEWOOD, Queens | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Ridgewood 2020 (Projected)

Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
For homeowners, out of those select few who will not just look at $$$ and fly out of this completely unrecognizable city from just 10 years ago, you all will see your taxes inflate to the point where you too will eventually have to rent to the people sucking every single bit of culture and blue collar feel of every relatable neighborhood in this city. Goodbye Ridgewood.
Quick question before you go. Do you think the schools will get better with the tax hike?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 AM

@anon1 - I know your not originally from around ridgewood so I don't think you meant to leave them out, but you forgot to include the German families the built ridgewood over 100+ years ago. They're pretty much extinct in bushwick, but both ridgewood and Glendale still have some left. If your going to go into ethnicities, the Germans need to be included as they were very instrumental to the original fabric of the area.

Just wanted to add that last point. You can go now.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 AM

4,957 posts, read 3,879,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Quick question before you go. Do you think the schools will get better with the tax hike?
Probably not because of the higher taxes. What happened in Park Slope was that the richer families who moved in banded together and started collecting "miscellaneous fees" and other fundraisers to pay for better academic programming. It's an effective tax in a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City