Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

how about arthur's tavern in hoboken? path train away from pretty good steak ($22?) and giant beer. i use to love going there back in the days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
THE PALM...for lunch but only for lunch.
$25.90 for the Power Lunch (on the left.)
The double filet mignons are to die for, the Caesar Salad immense, the onions and potato great and both desserts delightful. (They used to have a Key Lime Pie but seems no more.)

http://www.thepalm.com/files/filesPa...-Mar13-NY4.pdf

(We only go to PALM, ONE...West side of Second Ave...not sure if PALM,TOO has the same deal.)

P.S. If you want drinks, make cocktails at home or you will mangle the budget.
Never heard of this place, but it just made the go-to list!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I was really with you until you mentioned cooking french fries in lard...
Well if not lard, then duck fat.
This is about the taste right?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Well if not lard, then duck fat.
This is about the taste right?
Haha! French fries in duck fat? Whatever happened to good olive oil or a good healthy vegetable oil?

It's been a few years since I had duck but it is quite tasty. I just never thought of using duck fat for french fries. Seems a bit intense in terms of flavor for something like fries when paired with a steak but it is rather common in some European places that serve pommes frites if you will. The last steaks I've had was filet mignon (both medium and both tasty), hangar steak (medium, which was excellent) and usually with french fries. Really can't go wrong with that but the places I went to are rather pricey so I wouldn't recommend them.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 06-10-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Blake,

I thought EVERYONE had heard of THE PALM (44th and Second/)

Quote:
sirtiger:how about arthur's tavern in hoboken? path train away from pretty good
steak ($22?) and giant beer. i use to love going there back in the days
I used to go to Arthur's when I lived on the Jersey City Waterfront quite often and have the 22 ouncer but little by little the steaks got gristlier and gristlier. They stayed big, but got bad.,,the last time I must have left 60% of the so- called "steak" on my plate.

First time I went I was living in the JC Heights and that must have been 30 years ago.

I haven't gone back in 5 or 6 years and the deterioration saddened me because it used to be such a nice festive crowd for a weekend evening.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
I believe there are a few Palm location. Food is good there but nothing stood out as I remember.

I agree Arthur use to be better back in the days. The OP requirement was good and inexpensive...which I think Arthur is still qualified so I threw it out there. Its still a comfy place to bring a buddy to eat imo

For driving folks in NJ, i tried the Arthur's in morris plain which seemed better...could be my imagination tho

Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
sizzler. you said inexpensive, right?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Blake,

I thought EVERYONE had heard of THE PALM (44th and Second/)

I used to go to Arthur's when I lived on the Jersey City Waterfront quite often and have the 22 ouncer but little by little the steaks got gristlier and gristlier. They stayed big, but got bad.,,the last time I must have left 60% of the so- called "steak" on my plate.

First time I went I was living in the JC Heights and that must have been 30 years ago.

I haven't gone back in 5 or 6 years and the deterioration saddened me because it used to be such a nice festive crowd for a weekend evening.
Under new management for a few years, and someone told me they are closing ...?
Or have closed ?
Anyone know ?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM

107 posts, read 272,724 times
What is your budget per person? 44 and X has a pretty decent filet mignon for $34. I would honestly just save up a bit and go to Striphouse Steakhouse -- you can split a 20oz bone-in ribeye and get a few sides.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Under new management for a few years, and someone told me they are closing ...?
Or have closed ?
Anyone know ?
Well, THE PALM still have the website up so I'd best get there tomorrow if there is truth to the rumor.

If you see me say hello...I'm 6'2" and still cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City