Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM

424 posts, read 973,918 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to a new place and have a few things which I'm looking to get rid. I don't want to throw away, namely a pair of expensive shoes that are a 1/2 size too small given as a gift, books, DVD's unworn clothes and a few other things. I listed them on Craigslist a few times which has gotten me either no responses or a lot of scammer's looking to spam my email ("is the item still for sale??? give me ur email")

I'm thinking of trying out Housing Works because I like finding great bargains there as a shopper (I think they take donations instead of buying it from you). I tried Strand for my books and DVDs' but was greeted with rude service and $1 offers for unopened DVD's.

Anyone have success with a good place to sell stuff in this city?... Besides the Diamond District?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
eh?

if you can't sell it on craigslist, it probably belongs in the dumpster

Next you'll be asking where you can buy a newspaper or get your film developed

Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
I'm moving to a new place and have a few things which I'm looking to get rid. I don't want to throw away, namely a pair of expensive shoes that are a 1/2 size too small given as a gift, books, DVD's unworn clothes and a few other things. I listed them on Craigslist a few times which has gotten me either no responses or a lot of scammer's looking to spam my email ("is the item still for sale??? give me ur email")

I'm thinking of trying out Housing Works because I like finding great bargains there as a shopper (I think they take donations instead of buying it from you). I tried Strand for my books and DVDs' but was greeted with rude service and $1 offers for unopened DVD's.

Anyone have success with a good place to sell stuff in this city?... Besides the Diamond District?
Why not just donate it?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
If the shoes and clothing are in GREAT condition and designer, you can probably drop it at a consignment shop. Beware, though, because you're not going to get much for it.

As for the DVDs and books? You'd be better off to give them to Housing Works or Goodwill.

I have found it's much easier to just donate items rather than go through the hassle of selling.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
You could sell on eBay, but you then have to pay listing fees, so it may not be worth the hassle to do so.

For the shoes that are too small, you may talk to a cobbler before you give them away or sell them because shoes can be stretched to fit, and 1/2 size is within the realm of possibility for leather shoes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
Donate them and inflate the value for the tax deduction, that is if you pay income taxes.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I find I can sell nothing.
Go to BUY and "It's priceless". Try se SELL and it's "Nobody wants this stuff."

It is easier to throw it out or give it to charity.

(I dumped 1000 LP's to move into a smaller Manhattan apartment...it KILLED me, but nobody wanted any of them enough to even come pick them up.)
<Shedding a little tear.>

Thing is you are getting rid of stuff because you ran out of room...but everyone else is in the same boat.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Donate them and inflate the value for the tax deduction, that is if you pay income taxes.

AND have deductions higher than the standard deduction, $12,200 for a married couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City