Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
According to the OP's own post he lives 20 blocks above the current Citibike area without knowing that there was a Citibike area.
Ha! I got that he lives north of the current area but if he hasn't seen any that means then he doesn't venture south of 59th street or he would have seen them. I can't NOT pass one when I'm walking around down here. He also said that he "walks mile every day in all directions" so clearly he must not walk all over the place or he would have seen lots of the stations.

I think the point is that 1) the program is the early stages and expanding and 2) there are going to be people for whom this system just wont work (for whatever reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
There's 3 docking stations by my job - Church and Worth, Reade and Broadway, Hudson and Reade. I took the time out to read one of the signs. I think you really need to be an avid fan of bicycle commuting to see the usefulness - its not for leisure.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-12-2013, 05:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Best from the Sirtiger link:

Quote:

Citi Bike hysteria has largely abated, but that doesn't mean cyclists aren't
still adapting to the system's quirks. I experienced my first annoyance this
weekend when trying to pedal from Battery Park City to Rockefeller Center, and
realized somewhere around Hudson River Park that I had a better chance of
sprouting wings than making it there in my allotted 30 minutes.
And I am sure this aggravation will be repeated hundreds of times a day until everyone finally says "Well, it's just not for me" and they scrap the bikes or sell them to some European capital where they will be rented to people FOR FREE.

It's an attempt at making money for a bank whose only experience has been in USURY and collecting handouts from the government. Like a hot dog vender trying to design the next generation CPU.

Anyone who takes an HONEST look at the scheme MUST realize that a rental of 24 hours does NOT mean a rental of 30 minutes.
I am flabbergasted that there can be a single reader who thinks this makes sense in any context at all...it is insane on its face.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:11 AM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Best from the Sirtiger link:

It's an attempt at making money for a bank whose only experience has been in USURY and collecting handouts from the government. Like a hot dog vender trying to design the next generation CPU.
to be technically accurate, mastercard is also the top contributer to this.

Ironically Bloomy keeps on stressing no public tax dollars was used for this initiative. Then went on that was one reason this hasn't rolled out deeper to the outerboros yet

Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am flabbergasted that there can be a single reader who thinks this makes sense in any context at all...it is insane on its face.
Makes perfect sense.
It's a very well thought-out program, imo.
I wished it was gov't funded but that ship has sailed now. So it's a moot point.

This is a gonna be a sucess I got no doubt about that.
And Judging by the number of annual memeberships sold so far, my prediction looks pretty good.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 AM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I wished it was gov't funded but that ship has sailed now. So it's a moot point.
govt running a business gives me the shivers. Imagine MTA or DOT running this program?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:16 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
WHATS THE SENSE OF RENTING FOR 24 HOURS AND HAVE TO CONSTANTLY watch the clock at 30 minute intervals.
it sounds ridiculous.

I too do not understand this concept.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
WHATS THE SENSE OF RENTING FOR 24 HOURS AND HAVE TO CONSTANTLY watch the clock at 30 minute intervals.
it sounds ridiculous.

I too do not understand this concept.
Don't think of it as a rental. It's for transportation, not leisure rides. Think of it as a metro card. You're not using the same bike the entire day, just like you're not using the same bus or the same subway car. You take a bike from one station to another. When you're done with your business you take another bike from that station to another station.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Most of the moaning and whining comes from:

1) people who don't understand how the program works and its intended use.

And

2) people who rarely cycle.

------------------------------------

Anyways, today I went to check out a station near my workplace.
I wanted to see how secure they dock so I tried to pull one out. Ans guess what?
It came out right away. I didn't even apply force.
I'm not sure if the previous user didn't dock it properly but the bike could be easily removed.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Don't think of it as a rental. It's for transportation, not leisure rides. Think of it as a metro card. You're not using the same bike the entire day, just like you're not using the same bus or the same subway car. You take a bike from one station to another. When you're done with your business you take another bike from that station to another station.
ok, and i can get that sort of, but say I wanted to ride my bike from Bensonhurst to Greenpoint instead of cabbing it or subway, sureley that would take more than a half hour, and what if you cannot find a docking station, than your kinda f**ked

i think the half hour idea sucks. if you rent it for 24 hours you should be able to ride it, park it visit someone, bring it up to their apt, then go home and return it..

i dont like the format they are using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City