U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 PM

15 posts, read 19,580 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting New York from late July until mid August (or maybe a bit longer) and there are some issues/questions that are bothering me.
I'll be staying at my friend's place in Olinville (Adee Avenue, across the Parkside projects) and I'm a little worried about the safety issues. From what I read on this board it seems it's a transition neighborhood, with a rather save area in the South (Pelham Parkway) and not-so-comfortable neighborhoods in the North. Are there any particular blocks/streets/subway stations I should avoid? Should I pay more attention to things around me? Should I be more aware at night? How save is the Bronx Park at night? I'm used to jogging at around 10-11PM and the park seems to be a perfect fit for my workout routine.

Any tips/feedback will be more than welcome.

Cheers,

Matthew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,458,930 times
if you use the train, use the Allerton Ave station on the #2 line. Don't use the Burke Ave station and don't go around the area of Burke and White Plains Rd. bad place. the father south of Burke you are, the better

Don't go into Bronx Park when it's totally dark. if you have to, use the park by the biking path off of Allerton Avenue, more crowded with traffic, runners and bikers

Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Thanks, sounds like a good advice. How safe is the subway in that part of the Bronx BTW?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM

ive used the # 2 up to 11PM from midtown Manhattan up to 238th street and had no issues. however that was last in 2000. however, i do recall any wild types on the train were always exiting the train at Burke or Gun Hill. so if youre taking the train back to The Bronx, don't forget to get off at Allerton and don't go on to Burke or Gun Hill. rough places

Old 06-17-2013, 01:00 PM

Another question, while walking around the Bronx, should I take this map into account? Is this a good indication of which neighborhoods I should avoid?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM

8,476 posts, read 20,316,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lercher View Post
Thanks, sounds like a good advice. How safe is the subway in that part of the Bronx BTW?
I live in Pelham Parkway,a few stops South on the same train lines and have never had any problems.You see some crazies and creepy looking people sometimes but that's about it.The creepiest ones usually get off ( or on) in The South Bronx.Just don't stare at people or sit there with an iPad or with earphones on.That's a good idea on the subways anywhere in NYC.

If you really want to jog at night it might be better to go South to Pelham Parkway and jog in the parkway esplanade.It is a park really, with pathways running through it and you can jog for miles ,over to Pelham Bay.Always people in there at night in the summer just chilling.Peaceful,non threatening busy area.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 PM

the maps don't load right on my computer and i have little patience for that. but i know which areas are good, OK, ones to avoid, etc so you can ask me

Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM

yeah the farther east you are from WP RD around Pelham Pkwy the nicer the area is. even Burke and Adee are nicer east of WP Rd tho nowhere nearly as nice as Pelham Pkwy is. really, i think you should stick to Pelham Pkwy as your rec. area as it's safest and most crowded

Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM

if this is the only Bronx area you will be in you don't need to carry a map. it's pretty simple, that areas that are better lie south of Adee Avenue. what is it, Adee, Arnow, Allerton, Mace, Waring Astor, then Pelham Pkwy

Old 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM

8,476 posts, read 20,316,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lercher View Post
Another question, while walking around the Bronx, should I take this map into account? Is this a good indication of which neighborhoods I should avoid?
Don't know what you tried to link because it didn't work for me but just use the Bronx safety map on the first page of the sticky at the top of the forum.It's pretty much the same as rlrl indicates above.

I guess I'm a little braver than rlrl or maybe it's because I live closer but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Burke stop during the day or early evening.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-17-2013 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City