Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 PM

27 posts, read 134,490 times

Advertisements

I am a single female who is considering purchasing a property near the intersection of Saratoga Avenue and Prospect Place in the Bed- Stuy/ Weeksville/ Ocean Hill Crown Heights area; this intersection seems to cross neighborhood borders. Before anyone starts bashing the area as I know will happen; I want to hear from people that actually live here, live near by, work here, or frequent the area. There are many properties for sale in this area (which are not ridiculously approaching a million $), which in my opinion is a good thing because it will start to clean up some of the remaining run down blocks.

I have been through the area many times throughout my lifetime and it does not seem awful; hopefully I am not being naive. Like many neighborhoods in Brooklyn nowadays, some blocks are nicer than others. It is
EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY busy on Eastern Parkway and the closer you get to Utica of course, but the residential blocks with brick front homes are actually pretty quiet, which I like. There are also rows of new condos and new single and 2 family housing which seems to bring a positive, renovated vibe to the area.

Also, there are plans to build green space, a community center, and low rises at Prospect Plaza (which is the intersection of Saratoga and Prospect Place; currently very unsightly huge abandoned high rises). Take a look at these links.
NYCHA, HPD Announce Developer for Prospect Plaza
Revision Prospect Plaza | A Redevelopment & Revitalization Project

Thoughts on if purchasing here is a good idea?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM

912 posts, read 2,089,421 times
Hmm lots of knuckleheads and na'er do wells.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,552,857 times
Hmm, that area, overall, is still very rough.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM

Thanks Bornin...and njnyc...so overall you would not recommend? I also get in late 1-2 nights a week from work; Maybe around 11 ish or midnight, after hanging out, and also own a car. Should I put my efforts elsewhere? I know it will be culture shock a bit as I now live in Long Island and have no neighbors to the left or right of me but I need to move back closer to the city. I grew up in Queens so I am not foreign to the boroughs at all.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:54 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,155,825 times
POV! POV! POV!

It all depends on your tolerance level. If you already understand the issues, then you may be in for a good deal.

However, do realize that greater East Brooklyn still does have real safety issues. I would say that is the biggest COL concern in that area.

That being said, in this city it all depends upon where you decide to live exactly. Neighborhoods differ, streets differ, even buildings differ. With such density, one pocket can be completely different from the next. At the same time keep into account your regular commute to the subway, local supermarkets, and other amenities.

The new Prospect Plaza redevelopment plan sounds nice. I know there is a lot of new construction in that corridor. The new mixed use construction will only bring positively to the neighborhood. Enhancing access to new amenities and walk ability. Keep in mind the city is very interested in redeveloping Broadway Junction too, which has the potential to positively effect the greater East Brooklyn area in a significant way.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,245,410 times
Houses in ocean hill do not seem all that affordable considering the amount of crime. You can find something cheaper in an area with much less crime. What are the nicer blocks in ocean hill that you speak of? Do the owners that are selling the properties live in them?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 AM

Thanks NYkiddo. I am willing to wait a bit if the area I purchase in will be renovated by the city; it will be a good investment. Yes, the prospect plaza development plan sounds excellent. One of my concerns is the walk to the train station since it appears that the Rockaway Ave station is the nearest and the intersection at Atlantic Avenue seems so completely run down, but there also appears to be a decent amount of people there going about their business and not just hanging out which is good since it isn't isolated. G, you are correct. I would figure that housing would be a bit a bit cheaper here but the prices are still good relatively. I am looking to purchase a 2 family brick front. None of them are owner occupied and they are completely renovated with decent yard space ( which I need for my 2 dogs )On Prospect Place or Saint Marks if you walk along between Thomas Boyland and Rochester there are numerous new developments; pretty much on every block.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 AM

G, I have a question for you? What areas are you referring to that would be cheaper and nicer? I have been searching and Brooklyn real estate is simply getting out of hand. Keep in mind that I need to be near a train station and do not want to rely on buses. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:47 AM

573 posts, read 1,457,717 times
OP I'm not the best qualified to tell you about the area but I've seen they built a new housing development around the Plaza which may attract new people, and the area is undoubtedly better than it was 10/15 years ago. However, I'm kinda used to rough areas (even tho mostly in Europe), I wandered a little bit around Crown Heights/Ocean Hill last summer, and I can tell you there is still a rough vibe in the air around there. This is the hood, it can get wild sometimes, especially in the summer. Overall, things tend to get real rough as you head east of Utica. Some of the worst areas in the city are located in that part of BK imo. Anyway, like some posters said it all depends on your level of tolerance, if you think you can deal with a rough environment, where the ghetto culture is deeply rooted, filled with a good amount of crime and social ills, then why not...

Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,245,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyh001 View Post
G, I have a question for you? What areas are you referring to that would be cheaper and nicer? I have been searching and Brooklyn real estate is simply getting out of hand. Keep in mind that I need to be near a train station and do not want to rely on buses. Thanks.
Prices for a two family brick in my neighborhood (Ridgewood/Glendale) are not much more expensive than in Ocean Hill, and crime-wise it is a worlds difference. Many, if not most, properties on my block are owner occupied. Problem is your address won't say Brooklyn, and that may be a criteria for you.

Even parts of Bushwick you'll see 2 family bricks for a similar price as in Ocean Hill and IMO, these sections of Bushwick are nicer than Ocean Hill. Cypress Hills is even both cheaper and safer than Ocean Hill. One neighborhood east of Cypress Hills is Woodhaven, which is both cheaper and much safer than Ocean Hill, but then again you lose the ability to stamp Brooklyn on your mail if that is a prerequisite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City