Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Citi Bike bicycle share program in NYC, the nation’s largest, a success 3 weeks in

Five Daily News reporters dispatched across Manhattan and Brooklyn rang up a 90% success rate in renting the bikes. There was an even better mark — 92% — for successful returns, though parking them was a pothole-sized pain at seven stops. Overall, the glitches were mostly minor: trouble with credit or debit card readers, no receipts, or faulty touch screens.

Read more: Citi Bike bicycle share program in NYC, the nation
Quote:
MTA may pay for Citi Bike expansion to areas facing G train outages

The first expansion of Citi Bike could be to Brooklyn and Queens neighborhoods that are facing extensive subway outages to allow post-Sandy repairs on the G train.
MTA and Bloomberg administration officials are exploring an accelerated Citi Bike expansion to Long Island City, Queens, and Greenpoint, Brooklyn, sources said. The possibility of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority picking up some or all of the cost is one focus of the talks, sources said.

Read more: MTA may pay for Citi Bike expansion to areas facing G train outages - NY Daily News
Quote:
Citi Bike Trips Top 250,000

According to the Department of Transportation, cyclists in the new Citi Bike sharing program have taken more than 250,000 rides on the hard-to-miss blue bikes since the program's launch on Memorial Day.

Citi Bike Cyclists Have Taken More Than A Quarter-Million Rides - NY1
Quote:
Citi Bike's Map Fails to Show All the Bicycles

New York officials have repeatedly described its newly launched bike-sharing system as a network of 6,000 bikes and more than 300 stations serving a steadily climbing number of annual and casual members.

Citi Bike's Map Fails to Show All the Bicycles - WSJ.com
Quote:
Casey Neistat: Getting Around NYC Is a Huge Pain, But Not on Citi Bike

Don’t let the title of the video fool you. As filmmaker Casey Neistat says, getting around NYC can be a hassle. But when he conducted his own commuter challenge — factoring in speed, cost, comfort, and ease of use — Neistat found Citi Bike preferable not only to a cab ride, but to his personal bike as well.

Casey Neistat: Getting Around NYC Is a Huge Pain, But Not on Citi Bike | Streetsblog New York City
Quote:
Using Citi Bike Data to Chart Trips, Miles, Membership, and Outages

Citi Bike is on pace to surpass 40,000 annual members sometime today, and users had made more than 212,000 trips between the Memorial Day launch and yesterday at 5 p.m. These numbers, reported daily on the Citi Bike website, have provided a continuous source of data that Google software engineer Antonio D’souza has charted to illustrate the program’s growth.

Using Citi Bike Data to Chart Trips, Miles, Membership, and Outages | Streetsblog New York City
Quote:
Van Bramer on Queens Bike-Share: “Not Just Waiting For It… Pushing For It”

At a rally this afternoon on the steps of City Hall, Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer called for the city’s bike-share program to be expanded to western Queens as quickly as possible.

Van Bramer on Queens Bike-Share: “Not Just Waiting For It… Pushing For It” | Streetsblog New York City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
I made my first Citibike trip this weekend! I've biked in BK before but only for leisure (to the park and around the loop a few times) and never as a form of "let me hop on my bike and go to the store". Anyway, normally the fastest option to get to Best Buy & Target from where I am is the bus, but I didn't have a metro card (expired) & didn't want to deal with finding exact change. It was also a bit too far and hot to walk to. Since I'm off work for the week I decided this would be a good week to try Citibike.

It was super easy and (at least in Bk) motorists are very aware of bikes. The only problem I had was finding the next docking station. I looked at my map app before I got on & knew the general way to get there but ended up taking one hell of a detour! I'm not use to biking as a commute so while I could normally walk down some streets, I realized that I'd needed alt routes when I hit one way streets & couldn't turn down them. I went WAY out of my way! Then when I got to the general area I wanted, I sorta forgot where the original docking station I wanted was lol! I ended up parking at one that was close enough. Despite the crazy detours, the trip took me 20 minutes. Had I paid attention to the map & app, the trip would have taken me 7mins-10mins. For comparison the bus is about 25mins.

Anyway the biggest take away for me is to know where I'm going. Until I get use to biking as a vehicle. I need to map out my route. Sounds silly but I got on the bike & forgot I couldn't go down one way streets.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
^-Glad you enjoyed your trip.

For future reference, Google Maps conveniently has an integrated bicycle directions layer:

You can also use the official NYC Bicycle Map:

NYC DOT - Bicycle Maps

Or this very useful bicycle map that allows you to adjust your trip according to bicycle infrastructure:

Ride the City - New York City

As you get more familiar with the station locations, shouldn't be a big deal. The Citi Bike app is always available if you get lost.

I've been using Citi Bike mostly on the weekends (I use my personal bicycle to commute). No better alternative getting cross town at 2:00 AM from the West Village. The traffic along Bowery is epic as usual and the subway operates on the late night schedule. Plus, with an annual membership it's so cheap. I've probably taken like 15-20 rides since launch. Some of them just for the hell of it (beats making moves on the subway within the coverage area during peak hours).

Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
sweet

Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
And when the two of you want to ride together????

Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
I tried one out the other day and I gotta say I'm slightly disappointed.
These bikes are heavy as hell!
A huffy might seem like a bike made of carbon fiber compared to one of these.

Top speed on these bikes is 6mph, which is a very slow, IMO.
I would be hesitant to cross any of the bridges on one these.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

Top speed on these bikes is 6mph, which is a very slow, IMO
OUCH!

I have never lifted one but they look like they are built like tanks...heavy.
I guess they feel that heft = long life on tough city streets.

After all that's why I tossed away 2 racers (hit a pothole and lose a tooth and a testicle) and replaced them with 2 Huffy's (with springs no-less.)

If you ever want to ride a tank, take a rental at Roosevelt Avenue...3 speed, pedal brakes, and I-beam construction . After those clunkers I was ready to sign up me and my Huffy for the Tour de France.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I tried one out the other day and I gotta say I'm slightly disappointed.
These bikes are heavy as hell!
A huffy might seem like a bike made of carbon fiber compared to one of these.

Top speed on these bikes is 6mph, which is a very slow, IMO.
I would be hesitant to cross any of the bridges on one these.
6 mph maybe a little off the mark. I have had them up to 15 mph on the flats, obviously more on the downhill. They are meant to be heavy. You're not going to use them in the TdF. They are actually a little lighter than the Velib. The only complaint is that the gear ratios are a little close together.

For the earlier poster there is also a route marker in the app that gives you directions from station to station.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM

78 posts, read 110,917 times
how about the glitches? is it really that bad of is it useable? and is there any talk of fixing them any time soon?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
6 mph maybe a little off the mark. I have had them up to 15 mph on the flats, obviously more on the downhill. They are meant to be heavy. You're not going to use them in the TdF. They are actually a little lighter than the Velib. The only complaint is that the gear ratios are a little close together.

For the earlier poster there is also a route marker in the app that gives you directions from station to station.
You might be right about the speed. I tried one in a somewhat hilly section of Brooklyn. You might also be a stronger cyclist than I am.
I average 14 mph on my own bike, I cant even image averaging anything beyond 10mph on these. I dont ride a road bike but the way youre seating on these they feel like beach cruisers.
These bikes are tanks because they have to be durable. So in that regard it makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City