Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
I heard the 7 train near Flushing is full of volatile triads and people have gotten fingers snapped for looking at the wrong person the wrong way
They're called the finger zombies, they make quesedillas with them in the taco carts under the tracks. They were founded by Keith Hernandez and Daryl Strawberry on a Bender after a game. True story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
is the brain variant?

Brain quesadillas

Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
CBTC for the L train (admittedly a much simpler service) was able to increase rush hour capacity by over 60% since there were simply higher frequencies of trains coming through. If CBTC were able to bring that kind of improvement to the E/F, do you think it'd still be well overcapacity?
If you hold passenger traffic steady then sure, 60% improvement is good. At the rate condominums are being developed in Queens (LIC, Astoria, Jackson Hts, Woodside, Skyview/Flushing) that 60% will eventually be nullified by the higher population. One wonders how much more traffic will descend on the Queens subways when the Willets Pt. development project is complete especially if it has new condos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If so, wowzers. I was thinking an alternate solution might be to extend the LIRR CityTicket program to all times and make use of those LIRR trains which might not be at full capacity--and if they are, it's less likely that the tracks themselves are at full capacity, so maybe some additional trains could be run. LIRR in general would be more handy since it'll be connecting with Grand Central pretty soon.
The Long Island commuters will be upset if this is allocated from the MTA budget. NYC will have to pay for it.

But yes, it would help if more used the LIRR. Also need to expand the platforms in FH and KG to access all cars and not just the first four. I used to ride this from FH and KG. It does get full on weekdays at certain times though. I found myself standing all the way to Penn despite paying 7.25 for the trip. They could also use more of their double-decker trains, open paid parking garages in Woodside and maybe reopen the Richmond Hill station.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 07-03-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
7 train rides me through little mexico first before arriving in little asia...that is the amazing part of train life in NYC.

btw, i have had no trouble with 7 train so far despite a little delay this morning. I like that they keep announcing the time of each incoming training, which is a very thoughtful service that should be implemented at all stations.

Do the express trains run on weekends/holidays too?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
7 trains rides me through little mexico first before arriving in little asia...that is the amazing part of train life in NYC.
On a typical, average 7 train to Queens, you will easily hear a minimum of 5 different languages, and they will be different each time.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post

The Long Island commuters will be upset if this is allocated from the MTA budget. NYC will have to pay for it.

But yes, it would help if more used the LIRR. Also need to expand the platforms in FH and KG to access all cars and not just the first four. I used to ride this from FH and KG. It does get full on weekdays at certain times though. I found myself standing all the way to Penn despite paying 7.25 for the trip. They could also use more of their double-decker trains, open paid parking garages in Woodside and maybe reopen the Richmond Hill station.
there is very limited diesel (double decker) allowed into penn. I assume maybe its the ventilation. I remember not long ago when they didn't allowed double decker in penn virtually all the time.

Maybe there will be more LIRR service once the east side tunnel expansion is finished. Then there is still bottlenecks at the Harold interlock and the Jamaica terminal which can complicates things.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
On a typical, average 7 train to Queens, you will easily hear a minimum of 5 different languages, and they will be different each time.
This morning I saw a white man lost a seat right in front of him to an asian lady who dashed into the seat 4 feet away from her, LOL. and I could tell the despair in his eyes, even though he said nothing to the lady. If that experience arouses some unfriendly stereotype in his mind towards asians, you know there is a reason. Each time I got off at the grand street station on B/D, I risk being sandwiched by incoming old cantonese speaking mem/women who rushed for seats on the train. Clearly they have no idea that they should let people off before boarding the train. Of course this happens at many stations but never a miss at that station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City