Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times

Advertisements

The calendar for DOT’s Weekend Walks website lists 23 streets in all five boroughs with car-free streets on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays this summer — up from 18 three years ago.

Weekend Walks - 2013 Calendar

Summer Streets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
I'm looking forward to the one in my neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I ran into one this weekend, Third Avenue, and they routed my bus 4 blocks away from my home. Even the driver wasn't sure what stops he was going to make.
Pain in the ass.

If there was some variety to them it would be different but it's the SAME belts, sunglasses, sausage sandwiches and ugly T-shirts at fair after fair after fair. Seen one, seen 'em all.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
THANKFULLY there's only one on Staten Island and it's really a festival anyway, so they're just listing it to say we have one here.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
The Positively 8th Street fair that they had last weekend in Manhattan (and again this upcoming weekend) was actually nice! None of the typically pupusa vendors and overpriced crap... A lot of the neighborhood businesses and they even laid down grass in part of the street.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I ran into one this weekend, Third Avenue, and they routed my bus 4 blocks away from my home. Even the driver wasn't sure what stops he was going to make.
Pain in the ass.

If there was some variety to them it would be different but it's the SAME belts, sunglasses, sausage sandwiches and ugly T-shirts at fair after fair after fair. Seen one, seen 'em all.
I just try to avoid going to the city those days. Traffic is a nightmare esp. if you're trying to drive in.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Pain in the ass.

If there was some variety to them it would be different but it's the SAME belts, sunglasses, sausage sandwiches and ugly T-shirts at fair after fair after fair
. Seen one, seen 'em all.

I don't think it's the same. We have a street fair in my neighborhood every year on one particular avenue and the "Summer Stroll" is different and IMO, much nicer because it focuses more on the local businesses and less on having an Italian sausage cart on every street.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 AM

I just wanted to say that I went to the last Summer Stroll in Bay Ridge yesterday. The weather was absolutely perfect.

It was very nice---much better than the street fairs. Many restaurants had tables outside so it really promotes local business. Many locals businesses had booths up as well so if there were stores you were interested in but never really went to before, you could check them out. We dined outside and then listened to band play outside of one of the bars. The police didn't bother anybody and there were plenty of people walking around with booze from the bars. One of the restaurants had a belly dancer performing and there was a group performing songs from Les Miserables. I wish there were some drink specials going on but the street was completely full of people. Lots of little stuff here or there, other performances, stuff for kids, etc. I think a lot of people that weren't from the area came too.

My only complaint? It's pretty short. It ran from 6-10 PM and at 10 PM, the streets were still very busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City