Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:46 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

I like Soundview, that park is nice. People seem pretty friendly there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 04:18 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic57 View Post
If you absolutely have to go, go during the day.
I lived at 1790 Story ave.
The police station is close by and they patrol during the day but when the sun goes down they vanish and so should you.
LMAO. I can't stop laughing.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Talk about waking up the dead...

Old 01-26-2018, 06:14 PM

64 posts, read 85,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Talk about waking up the dead...
resurrecting an 11 year old thread.. I read this whole thread thinking "huh" ... OP never responded, safe to assume they didnt make it out.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,648 times
Memory lane. I am Puerto Rican and grew up at the soundview houses. We were one of the first families to move in. My mother had written the mayor and ask for help because the current place we lived 116st was very overcrowded. Everyone laughed and told her she was dreaming but his office responded and we arrived in the 50s. Soundview houses was like straight out of a story book. So clean and the grass so green. The trees were so new they were actually held up by ropes to give them a chance to grow without the strong winds blowing them down. There were housing cops who were polite and once in a while a rookie who was quickly spotted because at that time they had to wear grey uniforms. I remember getting a $5 fine for walking on the grass. Football was the main sport interest as we had teams that played in the large middle grass. The population was about 90$% white but everyone got alone. I remember live pony rides for a nickel. White castle burgers were 12 cents. We even had a local movie theater at soundview and randall ave. I remember waiting for the milk man to come and help him deliver bottled milk and would make a quarter. That would fill my pocket with candy. Orchard beach was beautiful at that time. For a treat Dad would bring us to freedomland. Football was replaced with baseball. Being part of the little league was a big thing or you can join the boy scouts if sports wasn’t your thing. We had other organizations for the youth, the “C” Cadets and CYO boxing. The soundview community center was a great after school hang out. Holy Cross used to have the seasonally bazaars, talented musicians would perform at the parks. There were block parties where everyone would have a great time. I watched the layfette apartment being built. Back in the day the Kmart area was a Korvettes department store. The main topic with teens was what did you want to be when you grow up. I remember the daily loud noise while attending JHS 123 as they were building the Bruckner express. Unfortunately, a cloud of evil engulfed the area. The evil crept up and destroyed the area. It was “DRUGS” I pass by every few years. Leaving with a heavy heart. I had a great child hood and wouldn’t trade it for the world but then again that was a different world. Soundview many things to many people. May you rest in peace.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 AM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterdaysgone View Post
Memory lane. I am Puerto Rican and grew up at the soundview houses. We were one of the first families to move in. My mother had written the mayor and ask for help because the current place we lived 116st was very overcrowded. Everyone laughed and told her she was dreaming but his office responded and we arrived in the 50s. Soundview houses was like straight out of a story book. So clean and the grass so green. The trees were so new they were actually held up by ropes to give them a chance to grow without the strong winds blowing them down. There were housing cops who were polite and once in a while a rookie who was quickly spotted because at that time they had to wear grey uniforms. I remember getting a $5 fine for walking on the grass. Football was the main sport interest as we had teams that played in the large middle grass. The population was about 90$% white but everyone got alone. I remember live pony rides for a nickel. White castle burgers were 12 cents. We even had a local movie theater at soundview and randall ave. I remember waiting for the milk man to come and help him deliver bottled milk and would make a quarter. That would fill my pocket with candy. Orchard beach was beautiful at that time. For a treat Dad would bring us to freedomland. Football was replaced with baseball. Being part of the little league was a big thing or you can join the boy scouts if sports wasn’t your thing. We had other organizations for the youth, the “C†Cadets and CYO boxing. The soundview community center was a great after school hang out. Holy Cross used to have the seasonally bazaars, talented musicians would perform at the parks. There were block parties where everyone would have a great time. I watched the layfette apartment being built. Back in the day the Kmart area was a Korvettes department store. The main topic with teens was what did you want to be when you grow up. I remember the daily loud noise while attending JHS 123 as they were building the Bruckner express. Unfortunately, a cloud of evil engulfed the area. The evil crept up and destroyed the area. It was “DRUGS†I pass by every few years. Leaving with a heavy heart. I had a great child hood and wouldn’t trade it for the world but then again that was a different world. Soundview many things to many people. May you rest in peace.
Thanks for the recollections. It’s great that your mother took such initiative and it worked out.

It’s interesting where you talk about the cloud of evil ingulfing the area. You’re obviously talking about the drugs, but you mention that cloud right after talking about the Brucknee being built. That evil cloud might also in some part have been from the construction of that as something cutting up the neighborhood, people zooming through without stopping by, and an endless plumes of leaded gasoline exhaust.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 821 times
Hi I like some comments and helpful tips on the area of corse Ave and 174 street in the Bronx how's this area.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 526 times
I lived at 1258 Manor Ave. across from PS 77 from 64-75. I attended up to sixth grade there. How is that block now? Any pics?

Old 11-28-2019, 11:09 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKane View Post
resurrecting an 11 year old thread.. I read this whole thread thinking "huh" ... OP never responded, safe to assume they didnt make it out.
OMG. How could I've missed this thread but reading some of the comments now has me dying.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:04 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
It's the area between the bronx River, bronx River pkwy, bruckner blvd and Cross bronx Expy that is the most dangerous part of Soundview. Although the general area is high crime, it's better in the area you mention but of course you still have to be very careful. especially at night

Opinion:
Yup ..........smack dab in the middle and surrounded
by Bronxdale,Bronx River,Lafayette,Monroe and Rosedale
Housing Projects...Be very Careful. You are in the Hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City