U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 AM

10,266 posts, read 18,484,876 times

Advertisements

vans, not by me........but the cops do maintain their presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:45 AM

2,978 posts, read 995,879 times
Its very strange...but so long as it keeps the "element" in check....I have to think it is a good thing.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,883 times
Default Station safety

I just discovered this thread while doing some research on the area. I grew up in Parkchester, leaving when my parents fled to the burbs in 1956. Now in my dotage I'm trying to model the Pelham elevated line in HO scale from Whitlock to Pelham Bay Park. I've mined the NYCsubway.org and NY Public Library sites for photos and done my own research, having photographed the Parkchester and Castle Hill stations. My question is whether it would be safe just to walk around the streets next to the stations to photograph them. I need Whitlock, Elder, Soundview, St. Lawrence, Zerega, Westchester Square, Middletown, Buhre and Pelham Bay Park. Next time I'm in the city I plan to ride the 6 and get off at as many stops as possible. Are there any stops where a guy with an expensive camera should not go? Thanks.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:54 PM

473 posts, read 1,158,856 times
if you go during the day, you should be fine. Westchester square, parkchester, zerega should be fine.
Now elder, wihtlock, soundview/morrison stops i'll be more careful than usual whether it's daytime or night-time.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 9,883 times
Thanks very much for the info.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,707 times
Default Soundview

In was born and raised at 800 Soundview Ave Bronx ny 10473 Apt 12G Lived there for 19 years and moved out in 82. I often go back there to Monroe Projects. Truly it is the land of the lost. If you go to the projects go early in the morning because the crack heads are still sleep. Bad news there however I go back because I have family there. Bottom line watch your back always

Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 AM

5,095 posts, read 11,790,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayfudin View Post
In was born and raised at 800 Soundview Ave Bronx ny 10473 Apt 12G Lived there for 19 years and moved out in 82. I often go back there to Monroe Projects. Truly it is the land of the lost. If you go to the projects go early in the morning because the crack heads are still sleep. Bad news there however I go back because I have family there. Bottom line watch your back always
I heard that Soundview has some nice areas. When I visit I see a bunch of houses. Maybe I was in the good part. But I have never seen the projects there. The closest I was to them was on Stratford avenue and 174th I think. It wasn't intimidated although it did look like the hood.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 AM

11,510 posts, read 15,614,835 times
I think the roughest part is from Bruckner blvd to the Cross bx from the Bx River to the Bx River Pkwy, with the streets between Watson and Westchester Ave's being the roughest

Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,707 times
Default James Monroe Projects

James Monroe is surrounded by Soundview ave (West)
Story ave (North) Taylor Ave (East) Lafayette Ave (South)
I grew up with Ed Pickney (Vilanova Basketball) He is one that I know made it to the NBA. I went into the Air Force for 20 years and now live in NJ. I know Monroe when it was Beautiful and had Grass all over and White People! Now, Forget about it! Crazy land of the forgotten and contained by the 43rd Precinct. I go for family and my good memories of how it used to be. I grew up there. Went to PS 100, IS 131 and made my way to Queens (Aviation HS) that was my big break and I moved on from there. If you have no reason to be there then there is no reason to be there. HOWEVER the 10473 is and will always be where I am from.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:42 AM

2,978 posts, read 995,879 times
I always find it so strange to hear about how the Bronx was all white people, jews, etc. It just seems so foreign to me b/c while I was growing up there were NONE, as in 0, white people. Now there are a few...and growing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City