U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Stamford , NY
2 posts, read 3,395 times
Reputation: 10
i grew up at 800 soundview apt 10 e how old are you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 PM
 
1,683 posts, read 1,331,367 times
Reputation: 661
This thread will confuse the **** out of people, the areas described are FOUR different neighborhoods.

The areas around the 6 train, west of the BX River PKWY are considered BX River/and Soundview interchangably. The area is a mix of poor immigrants, welfare hounds, and lower middle income working people. Crime is a big issue in that area, especially around Watson Ave. The housing is in bad shape and the area has seen little to no revitalization outside some HUD renovations.

The next area going north of Westchester Ave is BX River, sometimes considered Soundview. BX River PJ's are rough and a crime hot spot. More working people then to the south but Wheeler and Stratford is pretty crappy. Again little to no revitalization.

Going east of the BX River to White Plains Rd is considered sometimes Soundview, Bronx River, Bruckner, or even on the edges Parkchester. More working people then western Watson but still issues. A little less crime on the side streets but the Bronxdale PJs are just as bad as Watson. Some new devolopment, cheap Fedders rowhoses and a few affordable housing buildings. Nothing outside that.

South of the Bruckner Expressway to Lacombe Ave, and from the BX River to White Plains Rd is the Soundview Ave corridor. Tons of projects and old semi detached and attached multiunit rowhouses. The PJs here are terrible. The blocks vary; some are run down and drug ridddin, others quiet. Some new blocks near White Plains Road. Also lots of highrise rentals, most are terrible. A few coops are okay. More welfare hounds and lower middle class. A lot of income diversity here though. A few streets are solid middle with some affluent residents. Crime is also big here, the PJ's are really crime ridden and there are tons. Most of the 43rd precincts crime occures in this area.

Last is South of Lacomb Ave, sometimes called Clason Point, sometimes Harding Park. This area is primarily lower middle income with some higher earners and a greater number of welfare recips. Lots of recent development around the waterfront but terrible infrastructure immidiately around. Terrible mass transit and little to no amenities. Pretty quiet but still ghetto. More drugs, break ins, car thefts then violent crime. This is the bungalow area.

Also in the past there was abandonment here as in most of the city. It wasn't as bad as the areas to the west like Hunts Point but shells were a more common sight in past years. Drug crime was comparable to the worst areas of the city in certain pockets like Watson Ave, Randall/Rosedale, Monroe PJs, ect during the 70, 80, 90s. Violent crime is down but still a big issue. The area has been economically depressed for sometime and the future does not look bright. The area is not attracting gentrification.

That's a much better breakdown.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 10-24-2011 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 9,214,497 times
Reputation: 4168
I recently toured Soundview park and Pugsley creek and it was nothing short of beautiful. It was left very natural, and has beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline, complete waterfront access, bike lanes, and grassy areas.

Anyone interested in some quiet time in the city, a place to relax, and enjoy the scenery and skyline, Soundview park is worth a visit. There are bike lanes too.

Soundview Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
 
556 posts, read 828,207 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I recently toured Soundview park and Pugsley creek and it was nothing short of beautiful. It was left very natural, and has beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline, complete waterfront access, bike lanes, and grassy areas.

Anyone interested in some quiet time in the city, a place to relax, and enjoy the scenery and skyline, Soundview park is worth a visit. There are bike lanes too.

Soundview Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
You did the tour de Bronx I see? I should have jumped in right at Pugsley, im right near there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
 
556 posts, read 828,207 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
This thread will confuse the **** out of people, the areas described are FOUR different neighborhoods.

The areas around the 6 train, west of the BX River PKWY are considered BX River/and Soundview interchangably. The area is a mix of poor immigrants, welfare hounds, and lower middle income working people. Crime is a big issue in that area, especially around Watson Ave. The housing is in bad shape and the area has seen little to no revitalization outside some HUD renovations.

The next area going north of Westchester Ave is BX River, sometimes considered Soundview. BX River PJ's are rough and a crime hot spot. More working people then to the south but Wheeler and Stratford is pretty crappy. Again little to no revitalization.

Going east of the BX River to White Plains Rd is considered sometimes Soundview, Bronx River, Bruckner, or even on the edges Parkchester. More working people then western Watson but still issues. A little less crime on the side streets but the Bronxdale PJs are just as bad as Watson. Some new devolopment, cheap Fedders rowhoses and a few affordable housing buildings. Nothing outside that.

South of the Bruckner Expressway to Lacombe Ave, and from the BX River to White Plains Rd is the Soundview Ave corridor. Tons of projects and old semi detached and attached multiunit rowhouses. The PJs here are terrible. The blocks vary; some are run down and drug ridddin, others quiet. Some new blocks near White Plains Road. Also lots of highrise rentals, most are terrible. A few coops are okay. More welfare hounds and lower middle class. A lot of income diversity here though. A few streets are solid middle with some affluent residents. Crime is also big here, the PJ's are really crime ridden and there are tons. Most of the 43rd precincts crime occures in this area.

Last is South of Lacomb Ave, sometimes called Clason Point, sometimes Harding Park. This area is primarily lower middle income with some higher earners and a greater number of welfare recips. Lots of recent development around the waterfront but terrible infrastructure immidiately around. Terrible mass transit and little to no amenities. Pretty quiet but still ghetto. More drugs, break ins, car thefts then violent crime. This is the bungalow area.

Also in the past there was abandonment here as in most of the city. It wasn't as bad as the areas to the west like Hunts Point but shells were a more common sight in past years. Drug crime was comparable to the worst areas of the city in certain pockets like Watson Ave, Randall/Rosedale, Monroe PJs, ect during the 70, 80, 90s. Violent crime is down but still a big issue. The area has been economically depressed for sometime and the future does not look bright. The area is not attracting gentrification.

That's a much better breakdown.
Most of your descriptions are quite apt. I would say the bungalow area has very little crime at all(though peope do like to dump cars), though i do imagine there is some drugs as many luxury cars abound.

MANY brown(Middle eastern arab) are moving into all of these sections. the past year alone ive seen a HUGE increase. Morrision-Soundview stop seems to have UES looking white people getting of more frequently as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
 
106 posts, read 118,536 times
Reputation: 59
also enjoy the beautiful background noise of people yelling, cursing, playing loud music, excessive horn beeping and gunshots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 PM
 
556 posts, read 828,207 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
also enjoy the beautiful background noise of people yelling, cursing, playing loud music, excessive horn beeping and gunshots.
The park has its problems certain days/ areas, but the projects that the Parks department has undertaken has made the bike trail/waterfront portions quite nice, and they are doing even more work further down the coast.

I have not heard one gunshot while living in the SE quadrant of Soundview(Classons Point), Now when I lived In Bronx River(NE Quadrant) I did more than a few times, also noticing alot more broken auto glass walking to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 PM
 
1,683 posts, read 1,331,367 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I recently toured Soundview park and Pugsley creek and it was nothing short of beautiful. It was left very natural, and has beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline, complete waterfront access, bike lanes, and grassy areas.

Anyone interested in some quiet time in the city, a place to relax, and enjoy the scenery and skyline, Soundview park is worth a visit. There are bike lanes too.

Soundview Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
Soundview Park recently completed the first stage of a significant renovation/remodeling. In the past it was predominantly undeveloped. Beautiful Park, huge potential, could serve a wide area.

The downside though is the neighborhood around it. Predominantly public housing, however the Park is somewhat of a haven.

What is really needed though is a bike lane/greenway/pedestrian bridge over the Bronx River at Lafayette Avenue. This would give better access to residents from Hunts Point and would shorten the distance, to Manhattan, via the citywide greenway. This is very important, and would expand accessibility.





Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Most of your descriptions are quite apt. I would say the bungalow area has very little crime at all(though peope do like to dump cars), though i do imagine there is some drugs as many luxury cars abound.

MANY brown(Middle eastern arab) are moving into all of these sections. the past year alone ive seen a HUGE increase. Morrision-Soundview stop seems to have UES looking white people getting of more frequently as well.
The area has always had more diversity then neighborhoods to the west. Many of the Puerto Ricans in Soundview are White. The neighborhood lacks hipness (nightlife/entertainment), mass transit coverage, and amenities (quality retail and grocery)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM
 
556 posts, read 828,207 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Soundview Park recently completed the first stage of a significant renovation/remodeling. In the past it was predominantly undeveloped. Beautiful Park, huge potential, could serve a wide area.

The downside though is the neighborhood around it. Predominantly public housing, however the Park is somewhat of a haven.

What is really needed though is a bike lane/greenway/pedestrian bridge over the Bronx River at Lafayette Avenue. This would give better access to residents from Hunts Point and would shorten the distance, to Manhattan, via the citywide greenway. This is very important, and would expand accessibility.







The area has always had more diversity then neighborhoods to the west. Many of the Puerto Ricans in Soundview are White. The neighborhood lacks hipness (nightlife/entertainment), mass transit coverage, and amenities (quality retail and grocery)
What angle is the second picture/rendering from/of? I know theey have been working past pugsley creek and making a nice waterfront there(look legit).

Also, they dont seem like white PR's, I can tell the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM
 
1,683 posts, read 1,331,367 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
What angle is the second picture/rendering from/of? I know theey have been working past pugsley creek and making a nice waterfront there(look legit).
Soundview Park doesn't touch Pugsley Creek. It lines the mouth of the Bronx River. That is the very southernmost area of the Park.


Northwest part of the park.









When completed this will be premiere urban greenspace. Very exciting for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top