Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

The police do not have a specific duty to ensure the personal safety of citizens anywhere in this country, as per federal courts. This is why when anti-gun people try to use the tired old "you're just paranoid" or "why are you so afraid" lines on me I just laugh. My family and I will never rely on 911. That's for sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM

140 posts, read 214,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Police are employed by society to guarantee the status quo, primarily the economic status quo. They exist for the protection of property rights.
but my life is my property.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
Everyone should learn basic self defense. Learn how to punch, kick, block, apply choke holds, arm locks, etc. There are pretty easy to learn and a great exercise too.
I very much agree. H2H not better than a gun or a baseball bat, but is better than nothing. And if want to get good at it, you need practice.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight.
Should be a fix blade

Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I'm not sure what you are expecting OP. The police make numerous domestic disturbance calls during which they often arrest violent family members. If you are beaten they will investigate the crime and attempt to arrest those responsible, and if they witness a crime in progress they will attempt to stop it.

Are you expecting officers to follow you around like body guards?

That doesn't mean they always do a good job of course, and your mention of them "disarming" everyone seems to be a reference to gun control -- which is a whole other ball of wax.
In the situation in the vid though, I think the cops got scared or there just wasnt enough time to jump out before it was all over. For the victim, the events probably lasted a long time in his mind, but for outside observers, it was probably a few seconds, and they still did not process what was happening.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I very much agree. H2H not better than a gun or a baseball bat, but is better than nothing. And if want to get good at it, you need practice.
as a martial artist for many years i can say in a street situation where there are no rules and everyone just bum rushes each other and are rolling on the ground in a heart beat most training is useless.

good ole street fighting has beaten trained martial artists over and over.

odds are unless you are real good as a martial artist, learning basic kicks,blocks and punches will give you no advantage at all.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
As demonstrated by the OP, NYC teachers are not required to educate you.
Nor are FDNY EMTs required to even assist you:
Charges dropped against EMT who merely called 911 as pregnant woman died* - NY Daily News
Will she get 2.5 years back pay?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Police in two cars sat idly by and watched ROAM get jumped by 7 individuals 13 years ago.

Even though it was clear to them ROAM had nothing to do with the situation that started the melee.

As Roam was regrouping, stumbling and making his way out of the area they roll up and next to him and say "you ok?".

Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as a martial artist for many years i can say in a street situation where there are no rules and everyone just bum rushes each other and are rolling on the ground in a heart beat most training is useless.

good ole street fighting has beaten trained martial artists over and over.

odds are unless you are real good as a martial artist, learning basic kicks,blocks and punches will give you no advantage at all.
In street situations, physical attributes matter much, and with certain types of people, having experience, and knowing exactly what to do to obtain victory is important.

Martial arts can help develop those attributes. Of course some people have it naturally, and some people will always be limited in that department.

There are some martial artists who have lots of experience in real self defense, and some that have none.

Having been a long time martial artists myself, I sometimes think I was better at self defense when I was a little boy and play fighting with friends, playing tackle football or getting angry at each other and actually fight for real to whatever extent children are able to fight each other.

I do not think that is a nack on Martial Arts though. It is more about the limits society places on us, and the norms that society expects us to follow as we mature. This is no longer the Viking age or the age of dueling our great great or even greater grand parents lived in. We simply are not allowed to practice those primordial instincts. Kids have more leeway though.

Those that do, live outside of society, whether by choice or are outcasted.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
As demonstrated by the OP, NYC teachers are not required to educate you.
Nor are FDNY EMTs required to even assist you:
Charges dropped against EMT who merely called 911 as pregnant woman died* - NY Daily News
Will she get 2.5 years back pay?
She got fired and her partner was murdered in some sort of street fight. Karma it's a real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City