U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,195 times

Advertisements

Hi, we will be relocating to NYC area this summer for a new job in Manhattan near Penn Station (37th and 6th Ave area). I have never lived on East Coast, so this is all new to us. My wife and I will be making the move. We prefer suburbs, smaller house with a garage near train station. We have a small dog and I have a classic car to store in the garage. I have heard that maybe our best options would be Connecticut or New Jersey near the train station. Townhouse with 2 car garage is also an option. Would like to keep housing under $600K if possible and commute in the 30 to 60 minute range each way. Are there any options for houses in the $400 to $500K range? Schools are not critical as we are empty nesters. More important is a good, safe neighborhood with decent resale nice community. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 04:15 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,042,370 times
With that budget you can try Long Island. The Long Island Rail Road goes right into Penn Station. Plenty of nice areas in your price range and your commuting time.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,663 times
Default Mahwah nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO2Manhattan View Post
Hi, we will be relocating to NYC area this summer for a new job in Manhattan near Penn Station (37th and 6th Ave area). I have never lived on East Coast, so this is all new to us. My wife and I will be making the move. We prefer suburbs, smaller house with a garage near train station. We have a small dog and I have a classic car to store in the garage. I have heard that maybe our best options would be Connecticut or New Jersey near the train station. Townhouse with 2 car garage is also an option. Would like to keep housing under $600K if possible and commute in the 30 to 60 minute range each way. Are there any options for houses in the $400 to $500K range? Schools are not critical as we are empty nesters. More important is a good, safe neighborhood with decent resale nice community. thanks

Nice suburban towns in New Jersey that I like are in Bergen County (north Jersey) , you can park your car at the train station and get to work that way or drive your car to the ferry, and go that way you can get on the ferry bus once you cross which is included in the price. To me the best towns are:

Near George Washington, you can drive, take ferry, take bus, drive your car to station and take train:

Fort Lee, right across the river
Edgewater - right across the river
Englewood cliffs - near Ft Lee and Edgewater
Tenafly and surrounding towns

20 minutes no traffic from the FT Lee , Nice towns the further out the cheaper, for the most part:

Paramus
Mahwah
Ramsey
Franklin Lakes - might be a little high
Ridgwood
and more

I like the Jersey side better then the very congested NY side, although both congested, it is less stressful in NJ in my opinion, cleaner, more like the suburbs.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,125,625 times
Cross Connecticut off you list, whoever told you that needs their head examined. Trains from CT go into Grand Central for a start (not Penn where your job is) and the commute from a place you could afford in CT, with the added transfer or walking commute once you even get into the city, will not work at 30-60 mins.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM

792 posts, read 1,297,815 times
I'd choose NJ on one of the lines that goes into Penn (I don't know which NJ trains do and don't go into Penn, as I'm not familiar with NJ) or Long Island. On Long Island, any town on the Port Washington train line would work (although some areas along there might exceed your budget), and you could also check out Garden City (again, not sure how far your budget will stretch).

Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,317,377 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or