Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:01 PM

92 posts, read 230,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Neither.

He lives in a completely different world and in this world what he says is rational.

Truth is relative. Not universal.
I'm not here to get into philosophical debates on perspective...

He is a public servant... a multi-billion dollar one. He is elected to serve and tend to the needs of the general population. In that regard, he is completely out of touch and it's becomes glaringly obvious when he attempts to do his job. I like his green initiatives, more or less, but he has overstayed his welcome at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 04:27 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

But do Hipsters get stopped and frisk, Yuppies, Transplants, Jews who all are primarily white? No. Its not the fact that there is no high crime amongst the group I mentioned in the previous sentence, but believe me plenty of hipster, yuppie transplant do plenty of drugs and carry around narcotics all day.
There were several articles trending about a month ago on how the use of marijuana between blacks and whites is equal but blacks make up the majority of those charged with and convicted on possession. It doesn't take a genius to see that it's because blacks are most likely to be stopped and frisked than their white MJ loving counterparts. I'll tell ya, I'm no stranger to dating white dudes and while black folk might smoke a little herb, those white boys like them some drugs.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
There were several articles trending about a month ago on how the use of marijuana between blacks and whites is equal but blacks make up the majority of those charged with and convicted on possession. It doesn't take a genius to see that it's because blacks are most likely to be stopped and frisked than their white MJ loving counterparts. I'll tell ya, I'm no stranger to dating white dudes and while black folk might smoke a little herb, those white boys like them some drugs.
I know of ethnic whites who get stopped by police, frisked and even taken in for questioning. But Transplant/yuppie/hipster carry narcotics everytime all the time. Sheesh I remember going to an house party a couple of years back, pretty much I was the only New Yorker there, people were smoking weed, popping E pills, sniffing white lady or skiing. I can walk down to the E village, or even Williamsburg, or gay Chelsea and one can literally smell weed or someone walking and rolling up a joint! Don't get me wrong the NYPD does not want to go through another fiasco like occupy wall street or being accused of raping Transplant white women who were already drugged up. But yea those white boys love drugs. I still believe drugs are bad!

Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culdesac25 View Post
I'm not here to get into philosophical debates on perspective...

He is a public servant... a multi-billion dollar one. He is elected to serve and tend to the needs of the general population. In that regard, he is completely out of touch and it's becomes glaringly obvious when he attempts to do his job. I like his green initiatives, more or less, but he has overstayed his welcome at this point.
As mayor of NYC his job is to see Manhattan thrive and this mainly includes greasing the wheels for business. That's about it.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
Hmmm....maybe stop and frisk is more prevelant in areas that are high in crime. Lets say that instead of randomly picking people, you picked every tenth person that walked by in these areas. My guess is that the demographs of those stopped would look very similar to what the actual results are.

If a bunch of guys in suits started attacking people down at the wall street station, and the city deemed it neccessary / prudent to set up stop and frisk down there, I'd guess a larger degree of white people were stopped. It's simply about the demograph in the areas that these crimes are being committed.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
he seems to be a pretty stupid little man sometimes.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
[quote=leoliu;30264633]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Over the years especially during his final illegal 3rd term,/quote]

I am always confused by someone being an "illegal" major of NYC--such a big public figure in a world class country that is known for respecting law and human rights. Nobody/organization/party ever even tried to convict him for being an unlawful mayor at the state or federal level? It seems that he has been accepted without any legal resistance so after all it was not an illegal act on his part.
It wasn't illegal, thats why. Previously there was a democracy-limiting law which stated you couldn't vote for someone you wanted to for a third term. However, when given the choice under the freedom-to-vote-who-you-want-for amendment Bloomberg managed to wrangle in the backrooms (like every single council bill), the voters of the city voted him in for a third term. That's democracy - the voter's choice won. People saying "illegal" ....- thats what they want it to be seen as, all just hand-waving and sour grapes.

As for what he says - he is free to speak the truth unlike other politicians who constantly have to pander and play to their sponsors and audience. Thats why he's shocking - we don't expect the truth to be spoken. We like to live in the Pretend Correct world, otherwise known as PC.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
[quote=bg7;30276464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

It wasn't illegal, thats why. Previously there was a democracy-limiting law which stated you couldn't vote for someone you wanted to for a third term. However, when given the choice under the freedom-to-vote-who-you-want-for amendment Bloomberg managed to wrangle in the backrooms (like every single council bill), the voters of the city voted him in for a third term. That's democracy - the voter's choice won. People saying "illegal" ....- thats what they want it to be seen as, all just hand-waving and sour grapes.

As for what he says - he is free to speak the truth unlike other politicians who constantly have to pander and play to their sponsors and audience. Thats why he's shocking - we don't expect the truth to be spoken. We like to live in the Pretend Correct world, otherwise known as PC.
Are there many supporters of bloomberg in NYC? From what I have heard so far, most ppl ppl here are not that fond of him. Has he done anything good for the city future?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Hmmm....maybe stop and frisk is more prevelant in areas that are high in crime. Lets say that instead of randomly picking people, you picked every tenth person that walked by in these areas. My guess is that the demographs of those stopped would look very similar to what the actual results are.

If a bunch of guys in suits started attacking people down at the wall street station, and the city deemed it neccessary / prudent to set up stop and frisk down there, I'd guess a larger degree of white people were stopped. It's simply about the demograph in the areas that these crimes are being committed.
As a strict law abiding individual (at least I think so of myself), I have no issue with the s&f action from NYPD; and to a good extent, I like to see it in place as a crime preventative action. Are there many ppl agreeing with me on this? Again, I hear more criticism about it on this board.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Bloomberg in the top 3 best mayors we've ever had

Haters gonna hate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City