Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

I may despise Bloomberg, but there's nothing inherently crazy about his attitude on stop-and-frisk, even though I disagree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Bloomberg ha 3rd stage Syphillus LOL.....its incurable and it is giving him mental problems. No, folks what you see today is a BLoomberg who doesn't have to toe the line and kiss your ass for votes anymore. His term is coming to an end, and he doesn;t give a f-k.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I may despise Bloomberg, but there's nothing inherently crazy about his attitude on stop-and-frisk, even though I disagree with it.

It's the way it is being applied. There are no checks and balances. Many times, it is just harrassment. No other city practices this method. The biggest arrest from stop n frisk is marijuana which completely limits a person's chance at obtaining a decent job. With such a record, you can forget about security, gov't and even healthcare jobs.

It was recently reported that white ppl smoke more pot than minoritis but who is being harmed unfairly? The only reason this made it to the news and courts now, is because Hipsters in Brooklyn started getting hassled. It was going on nonstop in the outer boroughs for 10 goddamn yrs. The results that really show much success.

Why is Bloomberg so resistant to incorporate a Federal monitor? How about portable cameras on every police officer's shirt, not hat connected to a cloud to prevent tampering? These points would help limit lawsuits against the city, prevent NYPD corruption, protect the lives of the cops and citizens, etc.

How about making marijuana completely legal? Not just medical? Then that would help calm ppl's opinions of stop n frisk, since most arrests are for possession of a joint.

NYC used to be very liberal, now its very conservative day by day. Look at Colorado, Michigan, Seattle, Colorado, etc and their weed laws? This is what happens when ppl move to NYC and change the make up ......

Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Well NYC is a city. If one does not like city living, move to a suburb like Long Island. Plenty of lower density areas scattered across the United States. Midtown is NOT going to become less urban anytime soon. The city overall has been revitalizing and that includes increased urbanization.

Some people just do not understand how administrating a city works.

Smoking inside indoor public areas like bars and restaurants was a public health issue. The mayor didn't wake up and say; "Today, i'm going to ban smoking throughout bars and restaurants across NYC because I feel like it." He was advised on the public health problems including economic burden by public health professionals and others and supported policy to make a change.

Citi Bike. Again, bicycle share was not created in NYC. It was an idea implemented in a number of unique yet similar cities throughout the world with successful result. The DOT established that most New Yorkers live relatively short distances from work and typically make short trips. Of which, most are bikeable and a significant number of adults are capable of doing so. As a result the program is seeing very frequent usage and has dramatically changed travel times for a number of New Yorkers at little cost to the city.

The soda ban was another public health issue. People moaned so much about it, when in reality it was another attempt to create a healthier NYC by public health professionals. Bloomberg supported it.

The compost idea is an attempt to greatly increase recycling in NYC. It's been done elsewhere, including cities with multifamily dwellings. Again, the mayor was advised by experts in various fields and there has been international discussion on recycling.

He's a good mayor and supports good policy. Unfortunately a lot of people in this city are not very intelligent about most issues.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why dont you focus on the fact that our "business mayor" Bloomberg is leaving the city way more indebted than he found it. And our educational system is as rotten as it was 12 years ago.
the whole country is indebted. no one person can be blamed for that.

The fact that every nyc union contract will be up for negotiation for the next mayor to deal with. That will be a nightmare to deal with. Its a lose lose situation.

Education was rotten 12 yrs ago. I partially blame it on the teacher's union. Even the mighty Bloomberg can't fight that union battle. Remember how the transit union crippled nyc mass transit? Then the school bus strike debacle?

Old 07-01-2013, 05:45 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Smoking inside indoor public areas like bars and restaurants was a public health issue. The mayor didn't wake up and say; "Today, i'm going to ban smoking throughout bars and restaurants across NYC because I feel like it." He was advised on the public health problems including economic burden by public health professionals and others and supported policy to make a change.

Citi Bike. Again, bicycle share was not created in NYC. It was an idea implemented in a number of unique yet similar cities throughout the world with successful result. The DOT established that most New Yorkers live relatively short distances from work and typically make short trips. Of which, most are bikeable and a significant number of adults are capable of doing so. As a result the program is seeing very frequent usage and has dramatically changed travel times for a number of New Yorkers at little cost to the city.

The soda ban was another public health issue. People moaned so much about it, when in reality it was another attempt to create a healthier NYC by public health professionals. Bloomberg supported it.

The compost idea is an attempt to greatly increase recycling in NYC. It's been done elsewhere, including cities with multifamily dwellings. Again, the mayor was advised by experts in various fields and there has been international discussion on recycling.

He's a good mayor and supports good policy. Unfortunately a lot of people in this city are not very intelligent about most issues.
Other than citibike, I literally do everything you speak of above, on my own, including composting and growing my own food. People aren't stupid like pretentious tyrants like you believe, we just don't want government and its lackeys ordering us to do things because people like you say so.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Didn't see this before I posted. Excellent.

Hmm picture didn't come through. I was referring to available's post.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
NYC used to be very liberal, now its very conservative day by day. Look at Colorado, Michigan, Seattle, Colorado, etc and their weed laws? This is what happens when ppl move to NYC and change the make up ......
Compared to where? Sodom and Gomorrah?

NYC is much more liberal then all those places mentioned, especially dramatic versus those entire states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Other than citibike, I literally do everything you speak of above, on my own, including composting and growing my own food. People aren't stupid like pretentious tyrants like you believe, we just don't want government and its lackeys ordering us to do things because people like you say so.
So then why are you complaining?

Some of you are impossible to satisfy. NYC has had a great run yet you still complain and complain. If you don't like it, just get out of here already. This city has no problem attracting new residents.

The current administration is doing their job. They are trying to run the city as efficiently as possible. We can only hope that the next leaders support good policy to further enhance the greater prosperity of NYC.

This is a community. It isn't about you, it's about us. I support recycling, better public health, alt transportation, congestion pricing, ect because the alternatives are negative to our city as a whole.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
So then why are you complaining?
What are you not comprehending? See below, since you didn't understand it the first time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
...we just don't want government and its lackeys ordering us to do things because people like you say so.
You can also add that we are not interested in forcing others to bend to our desires.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
This is a community. It isn't about you, it's about us. I support recycling, better public health, alt transportation, congestion pricing, ect because the alternatives are negative to our city as a whole.
This is America -- it is about every single individual, NOT about the collective. Bill Of Rights is about the individual, and not "community." This is the essence of America. You really give me flashbacks of my time in communist Eastern Europe. You sound like those securitate's (grassroot communists) who demask those hated enemies of the people. You don't even miss a comma...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City