Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times

Advertisements

Depends on the landlord/management company and what they would like. Using a guarantor most companies would like for them to make 72-80xs the monthly rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonerd View Post

I've been searching every website I can on available properties. The off housing office doesn't exactly go out of its way to provide really helpful info, other than 'get a broker' or 'have lots of money,' which is why I'm here.
Well ... that's because, if it isn't specifically Columbia housing, they cannot guarantee anything at all. They just accept listings and maybe do some cursory checking for legitimacy.

A lot of the off-campus housing listings are posted elsewhere as well. It's just another resource.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,390 times
This thread has become irrelevant because I talked it over with said roommate and we're going for an alternate solution. I just wanted to clarify that it was only a suggestion! I didn't have a pen ready to sign off thousands of dollars into oblivion. Anyway, you guys did give me very sound advice, so thanks a lot! At least my faith in you all was not misplaced.

Last edited by pseudonerd; 07-04-2013 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 PM

273 posts, read 672,755 times
Maybe because I have not been looking for an apartment for awhile I wonder if some of your demands are reasonable.

- while he has some history of living in the US for college, he's coming straight from his home country --- YES, I agree this could be problematic as he will endure culture shock and you may have problems getting him to understand the apt search process here

- he does not want to use a broker - This is entirely understandable .. I have been lucky to avoid brokers. But does he understand the extra hurdle this does bring to getting an apartment?

- he can't pay a whole year's rent upfront, but is sure he can pay for rent regularly - Why should ANYONE pay UPFRONT a WHOLE YEAR's RENT??? This is unreasonable, yes 1 - 2 months rent in advance OK. Yet you go to the opposite extreme and think you can rely on a promise. So, why not offer something more reasonable, say many landlords or brokers will ask for at least 1 month's rent plus a deposit (usually equaling one month's rent). Therefore you ask he is able to pay 2months rent and have a deposit ready.

I also wonder for YOU, how much money do you have saved? Do you have 2 months or more rent saved in case of emergency? Say your roommate has to return to his country after 3 weeks? Will YOU have expenses to cover yourself?

- he does not have a guarantor at all _ Is this a recent practice of landlords and brokers are asking for a guarantor? I started seeing advertisements about this about a year ago. Why did this start happening? Do you think you would have some leeway if it is understood he is an international student? Are there other options?

- he won't be here until August and I want to sign a lease BY August - Understandable but then why did you choose him as a roommate? Or did you just find this out. I am on the fence as I think you will need more time to get a place with the situation you have.

In other words, unlike some of the other respondents I am not so quick to judge the international student. I am wondering if you yourself are prepared for an apartment search in a city with a vacancy rent BELOW 3 % for apt rentals. I apologize if I sound a little harsh but I read on your part a sense of urgency that shows some lack of preparedness. Slow down if you can and see if you can room with someone first rather than find a place with a roommate who may not be able to fulfill all requirements to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City