Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 PM

33 posts, read 66,269 times

Advertisements

Hello all will be vistinging ny city late on 8 1st on 8 2 we would like to go to Statue of Liberty and also visit the Empire State Building my 9 year old grandson had wanted to see both of these since he learn about tem in the first grade . I will be traveling with my daughter her husband and my grandson So it will be 4 of us we want to do something in the city fri and sun sat we have a family reunion to go to in Long Island is one better to do on Sunday then the other Any info on hotels we could stay in that are affordable what else can we do by the Empire State Building how much time should we allowed for statue of liberty and empire building,thank you for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
You might want to start by browsing through one or two guidebooks. You might also want to check out the local magazines, like New York and Time Out, which I think have sections on things to do with children.

As best as I can recall, the Empire State Building doesn't take long, but the Stature of Liberty can take forever, because it involves leaving Manhattan. There are all kinds of past threads here on hotels, if you do a search.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
For the Statue of Liberty you need at least half a day. Also you might want to combine that with the Ellis Island Museum as the Statue of Liberty ferry continues there afterwards (and it is included in the cost of the Statue Liberty ferry ticket). I would suggest doing this in the morning or at very latest in the early afternoon.

The Empire State Building is open until 2 AM. So you can do that even later in the day if necessary. How much time one needs depends on how long the lines are there for purchasing tickets and then for the 2 elevator rides to the 86th viewing floor.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM

483 posts, read 869,984 times
The Empire State Building outing is subway ride away and then a wait on the line. Statue of Liberty is a little different. Based on where your family is staying, you are a subway ride away and a ferry ride from seeing Lady Liberty. I suggest you do Liberty Island trek early and then skyscraper afterwards. It helps to investigate new affordable hotel accommodations (ex. Super 8, Holiday Inn, etc.) in downtown Brooklyn area on Fourth Avenue. Good luck and have enjoyable time.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
The Empire State Building outing is subway ride away and then a wait on the line. Statue of Liberty is a little different. Based on where your family is staying, you are a subway ride away and a ferry ride from seeing Lady Liberty. I suggest you do Liberty Island trek early and then skyscraper afterwards. It helps to investigate new affordable hotel accommodations (ex. Super 8, Holiday Inn, etc.) in downtown Brooklyn area on Fourth Avenue. Good luck and have enjoyable time.
I also suggest looking into the relatively new affordable hotel accommodations in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Manhattan (a short subway ride away).

Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 PM

33 posts, read 66,269 times
Thank you all for your replies will pass info to my daughter we are taking the Amtrak in to my we have an 8 hr ride we were going to use metro for getting around so we wanted a hotel that we did not have to have a car to drive too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City