Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Hipsters are irritating, but they are better than having crackheads. Slightly.
I'll take rolling my eyes over clutching my pepper spray. No problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Strictly from a cycling POV, it's just a matter of preference.
My preference it's to keep a constant number of RPM on a multi-gear bike over lower RPM on a single gear bike, especially, when riding on steeper roads and bridges.

The popularity of single-gear bikes in NY has little to do with cycling preferences, imo, and a lot more to do with what is currently trendy and fashionable.

bikes from the 40s & 50s are hot in Williamsburg right now.
Yeah. I rode a multi-speed bike for years and only recently decided to switch. But I was just sick of the amount of maintenance and hassle involved in keeping the thing tuned up. Granted, it was an old bike with crappy parts. But even after replacing the derailleur I had issues. That, combined with the extra weight and resistance, led me to decide it wasn't worth it. The biggest hills you encounter in the city are the East River bridges which are really not bad (in fact I was taking them in a high gear all the time when my derailleur was permanently stuck there for a while).

Now, fixed-gears in the city are truly stupid...

Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
One day your knees might tell you different.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
You forgot Red Hook in Brooklyn which morphed into a hispter enclave. They are constantly "losing" their property in and around the sprawling housing projects they have to pass on the way to Fairway and Ikea.
Red Hook, yeah. That area gave off a hipsterish vibe iirc

Old 07-04-2013, 05:38 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Yeah. I rode a multi-speed bike for years and only recently decided to switch. But I was just sick of the amount of maintenance and hassle involved in keeping the thing tuned up. Granted, it was an old bike with crappy parts. But even after replacing the derailleur I had issues. That, combined with the extra weight and resistance, led me to decide it wasn't worth it. The biggest hills you encounter in the city are the East River bridges which are really not bad (in fact I was taking them in a high gear all the time when my derailleur was permanently stuck there for a while).

Now, fixed-gears in the city are truly stupid...
The derailleur is not a heavy component. And unless you are racing competitively, its weight is not an issue.
And even then, most competitive racing is done on multi-speed bikes.

Crossing the bridges on single gear bike is not as comfortable (or easy on your knees) if you're not a well seasoned cyclist.
I encounter a lot hipster struggling and needing to stand up when crossing bridges, and that produces more drag than pretty much anything else.
I'll agree with you that there's less maintenance involved.
But my feeling is that most hipsters don't chose SG due to lower maintenance but because is what's "in" and fashionable at the moment.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:41 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,654 times
I also have a modern multi-speed road bike actually. I don't race competitively but I go on pretty serious long rides with it. I've just found that for me personally a single speed makes more sense for commuting and general city riding. YMMV.

Hipsters were imitating messengers with the fixed gears, originally.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:52 PM

151 posts, read 404,831 times
I like when you see hipsters talk about how they hate capitalist pigs...while they play on their ipad3

Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Bushwick is the hipster capital now, followed by Ridgewood, Bed Stuy, and Crown Heights

A lot live in Harlem too

Old 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
I was wondering why the map link was dead. Then I noticed the post was five years old.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
Let me give you guys a clue - not all young white people in the city are Hipsters; many of you don't seem to understand that.
Yeah, people seem to use hipster interchangeably with white.

As for your other post, it's only 5 years but it seems like a lot has changed . There are many hipster businesses in Williamsburg still, but the hipster scene has definitely shifted over to Bushwick in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City