Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 PM

17 posts, read 15,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneFnR View Post
I haven't lived in nyc yet, but if I were a single women I would move to Southern California.
Why? Lived in Oakland agfew years ago but SoCal is wack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM

26 posts, read 62,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I very often wonder if NYC is a good place to be as a woman. There are many stereotypes about NYC nationally attracting all of the 'crazy' women from elsewhere. I think we have all heard the joke about how the city attracts the nutcases and bipolars of other areas. I thought it was a good place for the independent female, all kidding aside, to start a career more than anyplace else. Probably not so good for starting a family. Although, you are in a pool of alpha males.

You outnumber eligible men. You aren't limited to conventional norms even if you'd be an outlier elsewhere. By example, I mean you are not considered a social outlier if you are mid thirties and childless, never married. Overall, I still can't decide... is this city a good place for women or not? I'm starting to think it almost turns women into men, if that sounds strange.
From what I can see NYC attracts the most career-oriented and motivated females from other parts of the country not crazy ones. The word aggressive comes to mind. Are you an aggressive career-driven female? If so you will fit in here!
It depends on your goals and priorities. The people who do best in New York are the ones who have a strategic approach - they already have gone to college for a particular subject and have been offered a job in that field in the city and they are ambitious. The ones that come here on a more romantic ideal of seeing where this adventure takes me kind of thing more often than not wind up with some roommate from hell and some boss they hate wondering if they should move back home. A minority of those have such a sunny disposition and enjoy living here despite the adverse circumstances. So bottom line to be happy in NYC you either have to have a career path and good prospects and ambitions OR failing that, you have to be the sort who always sees the bright side of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City