Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,376,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Iguana View Post
I think we have some common thoughts. If the conditions would allow I'd move to NY the way you did it.

Would you share some experience of finding an apartment and roommate?? what you meant by have

work lined up?? interviews??
No offence, but this is something you really have to do on your own. Do some research. You also haven't said what your line of work is.

Many people make a move like this all the time. I did it. But they have money, and a plan. They don't just go. And you said money is tight, so maybe it's not the best idea if what you listed in your OP is all your plan consists of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 AM

145 posts, read 306,400 times
Quote:
I think we have some common thoughts. If the conditions would allow I'd move to NY the way you did it.

Would you share some experience of finding an apartment and roommate?? what you meant by have

Well, in my case, I had a friend living in the City already - my brother and I spent a couple weekends crashing on his couch while looking for apartments - then, out of the blue, one of his roommates told us that a girl he just had a one night stand with (!!) was looking for two roommates, so he gave us her number, we got in touch, dropped by to meet her, then moved right in - on New Years' Day, no less. Now, she turned out to be a psycho and we moved out within 6 months, but it was our window into NYC, so we had to take it and there were no regrets.

Oh, by the way, the apartment was in Manhattan in the East Village on 1st Ave and my brother and I each paid $450 a month in rent!! Of course, this was 1999, so living in the EV was more like living in a place like Crown Heights now.

As far as work is concerned, right after New Year's my brother and I hit several temp agencies and registered with them. We were able to score a crazy call center job with a Wall St. firm almost right away - the pay was low, but plenty enough for a couple single 20-somethings living with roommates. Within a few months my brother was able to score an awesome job through some girl he met online who wanted to date him. Once he got established, he was able to swing me some good paying freelance work with his company and I went on to learn web and graphic design from friends, which has been my career ever since.

The moral of this story is NYC is all about connections. Finding and apartment, getting a job, meeting girlfriends/boyfriends, what have you - it all starts with your social network. Yes, you can do things the hard way and comb through Craigslist, Monster.com, and OK Cupid ads, but most opportunities pop up via friends and family in the City.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,376,337 times
Yeah, things were so much easier back then. As far as finding a job goes. But the OP really needs to reconsider IMO, unless he has information he is not sharing with us.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,710,492 times
You don't need 10 or 20K to move to NYC! If you're looking for a room rental in an outer borough, be prepared to pay $150/week. You should bring with you probably $3 or $4K to ensure you have rent, food, transportation money for a couple of months. Even that's a lot if you're only looking to rent a room.

$600/mo for the room
$105 for monthly MetroCard
$250 food

That's just to get started. Once you're working, you can start saving and then get yourself a studio for $1K/mo or a 1BR ($1400/mo) in an outer borough

Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM

81 posts, read 100,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Yeah you definitely don't need $20k. When I moved here, I think it ended up costing about $7k. Most of that was just first month's rent, security deposit, and broker's fee. Most of the rest was relocation expenses (moving truck, gas, hotel, etc). Then there were several hundred dollars to feed my wife and I until I started my job and got my first paycheck. Fortunately I moved here AFTER I accepted a job, so I started earning money pretty quickly.

If you move here WITHOUT a job, then yes, it could end up costing a lot more. If you move here without a job, and you get an apartment with all the up front costs that requires, and then you don't get a job for a few months, then you are going to need a lot of money saved up just to stay in your apartment and feed yourself while you keep looking for work.

If you don't have desirable skills/experience, and you don't have several thousand dollars saved up, and you don't have a job lined up, then DO NOT move here. There's a slim chance you could make it work, but you will probably wind up on a one way bus back home.

edit: You really need to tell us more about yourself to get any truly relevant advice. What are your skills? What kind of experience do you have? Do you have any money saved up? What kind of lifestyle do you want to live?
a little about myself, 24s man, I'm a student and my old major was communication, but I'm gonna stop

going to college, I might get a license or certificate instead of a degree. I worked part time in the past,

most of them relate to food business and I have some sales ,customer service experience. the ideal lifestyle I

want to create is a free, diverse ,happy lifestyle,like some people said work with right people, live with

right people. Now I don't have great skill and experience, but I wanna learn and discover myself more. I

don't have a career plan now, I have been working myself hard and I really want to have a career in the

future. If I move to Ny, a job and a room will do it. I get use to new environment quickly.

I definitely will try to get a job and fully prepared before I go, but there still will be many problems for

me. list several possible things will happend :

1. ( the idealest) I get a job offer and find a place not too far from it, everything go smooth. one to one

hour and half commute is acceptable.

2. I get some interviews, so I will go to all them(not even sure how much work this is gonna be), but

not sure where to live before I get the job. I will spend some night in some cheap motel. I've heared

some places are very cheap, but I don't know if it's safe.

3.(the pragtical and easiest) I target an area and find a place there frist, and then look for a job around

that area. I think out of Manhattan there are still planty of jobs in other area??? unless there are jobs

will let me survevel??

I think money is not a big problem, as long as there are jobs I can make money. or I can save more

before I go. but I think schemes can be another problem.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,794,330 times
Quote:

If you follow this advice you will likely fail. The first fact you should ask that poster is to define "years ago"!!

"Years ago" does not necessarily have any relevance to this day and age. Specifically, if by the comment the poster is refercing years prior to 2008 and the onset of the Great Recession! Prior to this it was much easier to get a job.

For any poster to give advice based on experience prior to 2008 is wrong!

OP, don't make the mistake of being drawn to posts, because they say what you want to hear. That is the basis of failure. I suggest you listen to BREMSSTRAHLUNG, his is a far more reasoned and realistic advice and experience.

Quote:
Oh, by the way, the apartment was in Manhattan in the East Village on 1st Ave and my brother and I each paid $450 a month in rent!! Of course, this was 1999, so living in the EV was more like living in a place like Crown Heights now.
You see, therein, above, lies the stupidity in the advice, which has absolutely NO relevance to the present day!!

Other than the interesting NOSTOLIGIA, the poster's experience is NOT one to follow iin the present day.

The poster had a FREE place to land, which will not be your circumstance; and, the notion that hooking up with a phsyco b*tch **** living in a dump is NOT in any shape or form a **connection**!!

Rely on fact, reality and intelligence, not on fantasy notions of "connections"!

A "connection" is your father calls a friend and gets you a job, that is a connection!

Quote:
As far as work is concerned, right after New Year's my brother and I hit several temp agencies and registered with them. We were able to score a crazy call center job with a Wall St. firm almost right away - the pay was low, but plenty enoug...
Herein, above, is further proof of the stupidity inherent within the poster's experience.

Wall Street firms DO NOT operate "Call Centers", and they do not hire ignorant unlicensed nit wits to represent them on the telephone. It is illegal for them to do so!!!

So, what possibly could the poster be speaking of?

He got a job working for a "Boiler Room" firm, which is a fly by night illegal operation ripping off people of their savings while presenting themselves as legitimate Wall Street operators. In other words, the OP took an illegitimate job, and was lucky he got paid, and lucky the firm did not either get shut down by the authorities and/or did not have the firm skip out, once they completed their scam, both of which is the eventuality.

Boiler room (business) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am sorry, but the poster's experience simply cannot happen today. In that day and age, there were more jobs than people to fill them. Today, there are more people than there are jobs. When jobs are scarce, then the requiirements to apply and be considered are increased. Today, most decent paying jobs in NYC, require a degree, in addition to working knowledge and experience.

The poster speaks of a different day and age, and is applying his nostolgia to the present day. Silly!

Shees, should I pine about the late 70s and 80s, when you could find legitimate "Trainee" jobs on W!)) Street, Advertising, etc., do degree necessary? When the East Village was a pure slum, and you could "Squat" in buildings for free!??

True and reall, but has absolutely NO reference to the present day. Good nostolgia though....

Old 07-04-2013, 12:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,903,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post

Whoever you actually are - this is entirely false. In 1999 the East Village was already quite gentrified.
And it was never quite like living in Crown Heights, in spite of what you can read somewhere.
You may have actually meant Brownsville or something, did you read about Crown Heights in a news story ?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Whoever you actually are - this is entirely false. In 1999 the East Village was already quite gentrified.
And it was never quite like living in Crown Heights, in spite of what you can read somewhere.
You may have actually meant Brownsville or something, did you read about Crown Heights in a news story ?
LOL - what did I do, just dream living in the EV? I lived on 1st Ave and 10th St., 2r, above Lanza's restaurant - in fact, the Lanza's were our landlords. Tompkins Sq. Park was still sketchy and there were tons of junkies around (hell, they're still in the neighborhood now!!). The first week or so that I was there someone fired a gun out on 1st Ave and I still remember watching everyone running for cover down on the street below. Yes, it was gentrifying, but not fully there yet.

Good friends of mine live in Crown Heights, off of Franklin Ave, between Atlantic and Eastern Pway, and have so for about 8 years (the realtors now call their hood ProCro); I go there all the time and have watched the neighborhood gentrify rapidly in recent years. I was talking about this with them just a few weeks ago, how the neighborhood reminds of the EV c. '99 and they agreed.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:40 PM

Wow, it's getting stupid in here. OP, if you listen to anything Jcoltrane has to say, I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The poster had a FREE place to land, which will not be your circumstance; and, the notion that hooking up with a phsyco b*tch **** living in a dump is NOT in any shape or form a **connection**!!
LOL - you can't read very well, can you? I did not have a free place to live - I visited my friend one weekend and his roommate gave me my future roommate's contact info. Moving into the apartment with her cost me and brother $450 each. And who said I lived in a dump??? It was a nice, large railroad apartment.

Quote:
Herein, above, is further proof of the stupidity inherent within the poster's experience.

Wall Street firms DO NOT operate "Call Centers", and they do not hire ignorant unlicensed nit wits to represent them on the telephone. It is illegal for them to do so!!!

So, what possibly could the poster be speaking of?
O M G. I worked for TD Waterhouse (ever hear of them?? They're a pretty f@cking huge company - they now call themselves TD Ameritrade) at 100 Wall St. They had just started a new website then and my brother and I worked in the Customer Service call center for the site. The CS center took up an entire floor and we had to follow scripts when people called and take a certain number of calls per hour, or the managers got on our ass. It paid $12 p/h and we got the job through Todays Temps in Midtwon (I think they closed up shop in NYC years ago, but maybe they're still around). The shift was long and the management wouldn't let us take breaks, except to go to the bathroom. As a trade off, they bought every one lunch and we had to fill out a lunch order form every morning when we showed up for work.

....and "nitwit", seriously? I'd pit my intelligence against yours any day! I am smart, college educated, and well spoken.

Quote:
He got a job working for a "Boiler Room" firm, which is a fly by night illegal operation ripping off people of their savings while presenting themselves as legitimate Wall Street operators. In other words, the OP took an illegitimate job, and was lucky he got paid, and lucky the firm did not either get shut down by the authorities and/or did not have the firm skip out, once they completed their scam, both of which is the eventuality.
No, I mostly helped people navigate the TD Waterhouse website. I also had to help 80 year grandmas turn on their computers and find out how to get online. Their brokers were giving them the link to site, but half these people knew nothing about the Web yet. The job was completely legal and boring.

Quote:
The poster speaks of a different day and age, and is applying his nostolgia to the present day. Silly!

Shees, should I pine about the late 70s and 80s, when you could find legitimate "Trainee" jobs on W!)) Street, Advertising, etc., do degree necessary? When the East Village was a pure slum, and you could "Squat" in buildings for free!??

True and reall, but has absolutely NO reference to the present day. Good nostolgia though....

Could you get any dumber? All I did was tell the OP that he/she didn't need $20k to move to the city and that I was able to make the move with only enough money for one month. I then said that the OP should save up enough for a couple month's rent/food/travel, etc., and look for a roommate situation. That is not a fantasy situation - people do it all the time - people I know, this very day and not in the 70's and 80's.

There are temp agencies all over the city looking for workers - in fact, I think there are MORE temp jobs available now than in '99, as most companies in this economy seem to prefer using freelancers instead of hiring people straight out. A friend of mine moved to the city just two years ago and I got her signed up with several agencies - she has no office experience whatsoever, but was able to get decent paying reception work at advertising agencies. She now works in the film biz as a production assistant.

Why is there such stupidity on this message board?

Last edited by indravayu; 07-04-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,903,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
LOL - what did I do, just dream living in the EV? I lived on 1st Ave and 10th St., 2r, above Lanza's restaurant - in fact, the Lanza's were our landlords. Tompkins Sq. Park was still sketchy and there were tons of junkies around (hell, they're still in the neighborhood now!!). The first week or so that I was there someone fired a gun out on 1st Ave and I still remember watching everyone running for cover down on the street below. Yes, it was gentrifying, but not fully there yet.

Good friends of mine live in Crown Heights, off of Franklin Ave, between Atlantic and Eastern Pway, and have so for about 8 years (the realtors now call their hood ProCro); I go there all the time and have watched the neighborhood gentrify rapidly in recent years. I was talking about this with them just a few weeks ago, how the neighborhood reminds of the EV c. '99 and they agreed.
I lived in the East Village for most of my life and I just do not agree.
Tomkins Sq. Park has GROWN a bit more sketchy of late. After the police invaded one evening it was not, for some time.
There are shootings here and there everywhere in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City