Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

for the first time in 4 years the NY Philharmonic is coming to Van Cortlandt Park. I am planning to come home early enough to get a spot on the street because everyone and their mother starts to hog up the parking spaces until about 10-11 PM. The event starts at 7 or 8 what time would you expect to see the flood of cars coming in to park? I want to know so i can avoid scheduling something too close to the event so i can be home in time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
I would just leave my car at home that day if possible and save myself the hassle.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I think that 5:30-6 would be the beginning of rush hour for the event, depending upon seating and such. Seeing as how that is rush hour, albeit a lighter one because it is July, I would try to avoid The Deegan and roads surrounding the park around that time. I think the concert is at 8PM, though.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-08-2013, 02:41 PM

sounds right. i knew i could count on accurate info from you bmwdc guy! im getting home well before 5 and am not scheduling anything around that time so i can park. if i travel around this area at that time its gonna be by bike

Old 07-08-2013, 02:47 PM

is it illegal to bring a few bottles of O' Douls (non alcoholic beer) with me and drink them in the park while i have my bike with me and bike after? even a few of those can actually bring your alcohol level up to DWAI(non- criminal intoxication BAC less than .08). how does this work? i am a very law abiding citizen (can't afford to get busted as i don't have my folks anymore and no family in the area to bail me out) and i don't want to cause myself any trouble.

what i am trying to ask i guess is can i legally bike after a few non alcoholic brews?

i don't like alcohol but i do love the taste of beer, hence O'Douls...

Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM

bmw guy yesterday Sunday i rushed home from work at 3PM expecting to have difficulty finding a parking spot but instead i got a spot right in front of my bldg. i guess not many want to go to VC park in the stifling heat unless they can park by the lake

Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I think that 5:30-6 would be the beginning of rush hour for the event, depending upon seating and such. Seeing as how that is rush hour, albeit a lighter one because it is July, I would try to avoid The Deegan and roads surrounding the park around that time. I think the concert is at 8PM, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
sounds right. i knew i could count on accurate info from you bmwdc guy! im getting home well before 5 and am not scheduling anything around that time so i can park. if i travel around this area at that time its gonna be by bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
bmw guy yesterday Sunday i rushed home from work at 3PM expecting to have difficulty finding a parking spot but instead i got a spot right in front of my bldg. i guess not many want to go to VC park in the stifling heat unless they can park by the lake
The Major Deegan has been very iffy of late. I went out the other night and it was slammed. It's especially hit or miss now with the work being done on the GB so I would play things on the safe side if you plan on traveling through there.

Yesterday (in Riverdale) things were quiet because it was a scorcher outside. That and the long July 4th weekend meant that there were a lot of open parking spaces here.

Parking will only be an issue if the event is well publicized and the weather is really good. Supposedly we're going to get hit or miss showers for the next little while so who knows.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:21 PM

once i was itching for a cup of coffee at Starbucks but the Deegan was totally backed up at 230th street. i actually exited down at Fordham Rd went into Inwood via the Univ Hts bridge and came up 9th Ave and over the B'way bridge to Starbucks. the things ill do for a cup of coffee...

central Riverdale needs a nice coffee spot like Starbucks. Dunkin Donuts doesn't count. i mean a nice upscale place where you can really relax and unwind. and with the corner Mobil gas station out of business and the local deli shuttered, it feels like a no- mans land around here with no access to basics like water or an ATM. closest place for that is the Riverdale Supermarket next door to Jake's

Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM

you can use B'way to Dyckman Street, then get on the W Side Hwy to go over the GWB, thereby bypassing all the drama on the Deegan, and you can beat the H Hudson toll too

Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM

is it true that August has less congestion here because people tend to go away? I remember Labor Day weekend Sunday is very easy to park here. then the Saturday AM nightmares start after Labor Day with the schools using VC park from about 8AM till about 2 or 3PM. this goes on till Thanksgiving. then parking is cool till the late spring when the Sunday nightmares begin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City