U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,724 times

Advertisements

I am moving my wife and family back to the USA in 2 weeks. Having lived for 12 years in London, it is a big change to move back to the motherland!

My daughters are nearly 4 years old, and we will be on ~200K per year when we move back, working in Manhattan.

From all my research and visits, we do like Montclair so far, however, I wondered what the alternatives are...

The things that attract us to Montclair are:
1) Magnet schools
2) "High streets" centered around railway stations
3) Sensible (albeit not perfect) commute.
4) Housing stock and affordability (we would like to have a nice 5+ br house near shops and the rail station)

We have done some quick drives around Westchester and some other areas North of NYC, however, the housing is quite a bit out of our price range, especially if you want to be near a nice school.

Are there any other places which we might be overlooking in NY state which tick the above boxes and are worth a look? Long Island, for instance?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City