U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
The only place where I consistently experience bad customer service in NYC is Rite Aid, every single Rite Aid...they just don't care.
The one by where I live in Staten Island has really nice employees...I was actually surprised! I don't go there often, but they are very friendly in there...much friendlier than they are at CVS or Duane Reade....

Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 AM

14,779 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I don't understand it! Is it just that none of the managers care either? Because the behavior a lot of these workers display should be more than enough to get them canned. But it's just business as usual! For example, I got into a fight at Qdoba because I asked for peppers on my burrito. She literally snarled at me and told me they weren't peppers. I was like, "Bit@h please, I think I know what a friggin' green pepper is!" She mocked me when I asked for sour cream as well. This has only happened to me on this level in New York.
You're not in Kansas anymore, cough, cough Michigan.

Avatar - extrait #1 - HD - - YouTube

Yes here in NYC customer service is a huge big problem than anywhere else. First of all lets not start with the rat race, plenty of customer service workers have to rush to work just like you and others who make 6 figure salara, but these folks who work in customer service travel from very far and poor neighborhoods who generally make 9 dollars an hour. Another thing is the amount of people they have to be serve, serving wave after wave after wave of customers, someone is abound to have a fit. From my experience is generally customers who gets in a fit or tirade against customers service, resulting in the service provider to blow up and get angry as well. Another thing is geography and culture, I find Transplants who work in customer service like waiter, hostess, bartender, flight attendant much more nicer than local New Yorkers. With local New Yorkers working as a bartender, waiter and hostess I can feel the tension and the pressure building at the back of my neck, but things boil down when tip time comes. Sometimes being nice to customer service can work in your favor. Two years ago I was being approachable, very forth coming at a chipotle in gentrified Brooklyn, and I manage to not pay for my 30 dollars worth of food. Cashier said have a good day and walked away with my food. Another time in the morning at Mcdonalds, I came in and told the cahsier good morning with a nice signature Jim Carry Truman Show styled smile, I ordered my food, and again didn't pay, I said I will pay with debit, just take your time, and this happened on a few occasions with different cashiers until I got caught. The worst place to experience customer service is at LGA airport and JFK airports. But also from MTA and sometimes from the NYPD. But I have to agree that Customer service outside of NYC is far better and more professional and attentive.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 AM

6,209 posts, read 6,580,879 times
For many years the importance of "customer service" has taken a back seat all across the US. I started to notice it years ago in department stores where no one is available for help. But that example is just a small one. Here in NOVA I needed a quart of paint from a major Paint store. I was told by the service person that he could only mix a gallon of this paint and he clearly noticed I was annoyed immediately without saying a word to him until I told him I need a quart not a gallon. He immediate threatened to throw me out of the store in which I responded by getting into his face. I got my quart, but will never visit Sherwin Williams again. Although I'm sure I rolled my eyes and shifted in my seat when he stated a gallon only, that is no excuse for his treatment of a customer, period.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 AM

14,779 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
As someone who moved here from out of town I agree 100% that the customer service is a significant step down from other cities I've lived in previously. I get all kinds of attitude from cashiers and others that would never stand back home.

I hate to single out a specific group but the worst service seems to consistently come from Hispanic girls in their late teens/early 20s.

Hmmm, I think you might be talking about those Dominican girls who live in West Bronx and Washington Heights. I know the kind.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:20 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,062,796 times
because they don't make that much money i guess.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM

12,421 posts, read 2,788,708 times
We got really bad service at Crumbs Bakery (NOT the one near Times Square...they were great). Some lazy girl working there couldn't be bothered to answer my question or to find out the answer.
She just didn't care about assisting us at all.

On the other hand...the NYPD has been great. AND, one day I took a wrong exit and ended up somewhere on 125th St. I needed to get back to Henry Hudson Pkwy. I stopped my car and waved to a car (might have been some sort of blue taxi?). When I told him what I needed, he said 'follow me.' He led me right to the PKWY.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,914,518 times
I don't think it is just the customer service that is bad here but the total overall attitude of NYer's. Sometimes I can't blame the customer service people for getting a little rude or irritable because they deal with rude and irritable people all day and it rubs off on them. And I think that sometimes we take these people for granted and abuse them like they are lucky to have a job.

Customer service jobs suck. No one wants to deal with nasty people and unfortunately in that service you deal with a lot of them. A lot people in NY are just rude in general. It's not just minorities or poor people. I've seen Yuppy mom's with strollers yell at a cashiers at supermarkets all the time. They are impatient and sometimes the cashier doesn't know a price of an item and has to check and the nasty yuppy gets frustrated that she has to wait a minute or two longer than she expected.

I rarely have issues with people of customer service. I feel that if you are nice to them they will be nice to you. You just need to understand that they deal with a lot of crap each day that you do not have to. They probably don't get paid much and if you gave them a little bit of respect it would go a long way. Treat people as if you want to be treated. If you are going to be rude and condescending to a cashier, clerk, waiter, rep, etc then you deserve the attitude back.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 AM

506 posts, read 839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
If you are going to be rude and condescending to a cashier, clerk, waiter, rep, etc then you deserve the attitude back.
No, they should be respectful and helpful no matter how their customers treat them. That's what they're being paid for. The fact that the job "sucks" is no excuse to do your job poorly. If the job sucks so much they should go find a better one, and let someone who actually takes their work seriously have their job instead.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM

506 posts, read 839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I've seen Yuppy mom's with strollers yell at a cashiers at supermarkets all the time. They are impatient and sometimes the cashier doesn't know a price of an item and has to check and the nasty yuppy gets frustrated that she has to wait a minute or two longer than she expected.
I go to the Tribeca Whole Foods frequently since it's right near my office, and I find it incredibly frustrating how every single time I buy produce the cashier has to spend 5+ minutes asking other employees and flipping through some book to find the PLU code for something. I worked at a grocery in high school and knew these all by heart after a week of working. Totally understandable to be frustrated when this happens so often.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,096,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
No, they should be respectful and helpful no matter how their customers treat them. That's what they're being paid for. The fact that the job "sucks" is no excuse to do your job poorly. If the job sucks so much they should go find a better one, and let someone who actually takes their work seriously have their job instead.
I disagree. No job should require you to demean yourself. We are all people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City