U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM

6,209 posts, read 6,583,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I don't think it is just the customer service that is bad here but the total overall attitude of NYer's. Sometimes I can't blame the customer service people for getting a little rude or irritable because they deal with rude and irritable people all day and it rubs off on them. And I think that sometimes we take these people for granted and abuse them like they are lucky to have a job.

Customer service jobs suck. No one wants to deal with nasty people and unfortunately in that service you deal with a lot of them. A lot people in NY are just rude in general. It's not just minorities or poor people. I've seen Yuppy mom's with strollers yell at a cashiers at supermarkets all the time. They are impatient and sometimes the cashier doesn't know a price of an item and has to check and the nasty yuppy gets frustrated that she has to wait a minute or two longer than she expected.

I rarely have issues with people of customer service. I feel that if you are nice to them they will be nice to you. You just need to understand that they deal with a lot of crap each day that you do not have to. They probably don't get paid much and if you gave them a little bit of respect it would go a long way. Treat people as if you want to be treated. If you are going to be rude and condescending to a cashier, clerk, waiter, rep, etc then you deserve the attitude back.
What you state is a given, a truth most would a agree with, however my earlier statement rests with the theory that CS work is downplayed, eliminated, and or improper or vacant of any training what so ever pertaining to CS work and its importance. Most, it seems, do not know the product they suppose to represent.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,915,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
No, they should be respectful and helpful no matter how their customers treat them. That's what they're being paid for. The fact that the job "sucks" is no excuse to do your job poorly. If the job sucks so much they should go find a better one, and let someone who actually takes their work seriously have their job instead.
Give me a break man. Have a little empathy for your fellow man/woman. You sound like one of those nasty people I was talking about.

Guess what, when you pay people little money to deal with [rude people] all day it will be very difficult to find anyone that would be nice and professional all day long. We are humans not robots.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-11-2013 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM

506 posts, read 839,906 times
Quote:
Give me a break man. Have a little empathy for your fellow man/woman. You sound like one of those nasty people I was talking about.

Guess what, when you pay people little money to deal with [rude people] all day it will be very difficult to find anyone that would nice and professional all day long. We are humans not robots.
That just isn't an excuse though. The whole point of this thread is that NY customer service is bad compared to other cities, where people aren't being paid any more for their work (probably less) but still manage to do a good job.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: edited quoted text

Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
What you state is a given, a truth most would a agree with, however my earlier statement rests with the theory that CS work is downplayed, eliminated, and or improper or vacant of any training what so ever pertaining to CS work and its importance. Most, it seems, do not know the product they suppose to represent.
Would you mind giving me some examples of the kind of CS people that you dealt with that you felt had little to no knowledge of the product they were representing?
Some of the fault could be attributed to hiring the wrong staff, which is the fault of the person doing the hiring. It could also be poor training which could be the fault of management. It is easy to point the finger at the CS person but a lot could be other factors.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
That just isn't an excuse though. The whole point of this thread is that NY customer service is bad compared to other cities, where people aren't being paid any more for their work (probably less) but still manage to do a good job.
Yeah but my point is that the reason for the poor customer service here is a direct correlation of the nasty, rude and condescending people of the city.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,893,670 times
Quote:
Yeah but my point is that the reason for the poor customer service here is a direct correlation of the nasty, rude and condescending people of the city.
Some of it is and some of it isn't. You have a lot of people that do customer service jobs that are REALLY dense and stupid and can't follow instructions or they respond to a simple question with an attitude. There are some nasty rude customers, but it's usually customer service that's poor. In some of the high end stores I've seen it and I think some of it is due to a lack of manners and also jealousy.

Imagine coming from a poor background and having to serve people that may make more than you do in a day in just a few hours. There's a mentality with the younger generation that everyone has life easy and everyone makes LOTS of money but what they don't realize is that making money is often times hard work.

I think the real issue is a lack of training. It amazes me how many places I go where the employees don't have a clue about what is being sold. It's almost as if they were never trained about anything nor trained on how to greet and deal with customers. Some of them talk about the most unprofessional things. Cashiers talking about where they're going to drink or party at or even better how much of a pain in the @ss the previous customer was while still helping other customers. These are not conversations that customers should be hearing.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 07-10-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM

506 posts, read 839,906 times
Quote:
Those people exist in every city, though. New York really isn't special in that regard, though I think a lot of New Yorkers like to think they're special.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM

6,209 posts, read 6,583,344 times
Quote:
Would you mind giving me some examples of the kind of CS people that you dealt with that you felt had little to no knowledge of the product they were representing?
Some of the fault could be attributed to hiring the wrong staff, which is the fault of the person doing the hiring. It could also be poor training which could be the fault of management. It is easy to point the finger at the CS person but a lot could be other factors.
I agree with you, I think. There are multitudes of trades that place CSRs with little knowledge of the craft to deal with folks who are directly involved with the trade. I can name plenty. I've been involved in the printing business nearly 40 years and to compare CSRs today to those who knew the business some years age is tremendous. I've seen many who can barely speak english placed into position of CSR where communication is vital. Seen it a millions times it seems.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,893,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree with you, I think. There are multitudes of trades that place CSRs with little knowledge of the craft to deal with folks who are directly involved with the trade. I can name plenty. I've been involved in the printing business nearly 40 years and to compare CSRs today to those who knew the business some years age is tremendous. I've seen many who can barely speak english placed into position of CSR where communication is vital. Seen it a millions times it seems.
You are right. This is another issue. Companies are trying to save money and cut costs and cut corners when it comes to hiring qualified employees. If the employee can't communicate properly with the customer then that is a big problem.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,648,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
For example, I got into a fight at Qdoba because I asked for peppers on my burrito.
I just noticed that the Qdoba in my neighborhood is out of business. With crappy food and crappy service itís not a surprise.

Low-end service sucks everywhere, but high-end customer service in New York is among the best in the world. If you really want to experience bad customer service go to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City