U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,928,029 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this counts as customer service or not but one time, I was in one of those "Odd Lot" or "Job Lot" stores to pick up some aluminum lasagne pans and a few other small items. I get to the cashier and, as she was ringing up my purchase, I notice she is eating CHICKEN WINGS!!! To say I was shocked is putting it mildly!!! I can see if you might have had a soda or even a piece of candy but chicken wings?!??! And she was eating them as she was serving me!

I didn't say anything but I found it pretty funny.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,914,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I don't know if this counts as customer service or not but one time, I was in one of those "Odd Lot" or "Job Lot" stores to pick up some aluminum lasagne pans and a few other small items. I get to the cashier and, as she was ringing up my purchase, I notice she is eating CHICKEN WINGS!!! To say I was shocked is putting it mildly!!! I can see if you might have had a soda or even a piece of candy but chicken wings?!??! And she was eating them as she was serving me!

Was it fried chicken wings or buffalo wings (the kind drenched in hot sauce and eaten with blue cheese)? And when you got home did you notice greasy finger prints all over the pan and your other misc items?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,825,308 times
Quote:

Reminds me of the time I had a receptionist chowing down on wings at the front desk.

She didnt last long

Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,615,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

Low-end service sucks everywhere, but high-end customer service in New York is among the best in the world. If you really want to experience bad customer service go to Europe.
that is the problem. It shouldn't have to be like that. I fault the management for hiring substandard employees. Also lack of training employees is another factor.

There are places in NY metro area which I have found solid service. In my personal experience...of the big name places....trader joe & Costco have solid service. Although not low end....I think starbucks generally have good service as well.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,028,891 times
Most McDonalds and other fastfoods I've tried have good service. The only time it gets bad is when employees are overwhelmed by understaffing. They should really hire more people.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times
I actually went to Burger King today for the first time in years and the cashier was very nice...shocked! lol

Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,029,686 times
What's strange is that there are Qdobas all over the country. My experiences with the ones in Michigan were always very good. You'd get the occasional person who was just really flaky, perhaps spaced out on drugs... but they were still polite. Almost painfully so. Anyone talking in the manner I originally described would have been fired on the spot. It just simply never would be tolerated by the public OR the management.

I have received excellent service at Saks and Lord & Taylor, as well as many of the higher-end restaurants. But at Duane Reade, CVS or any of the fast food restaurants it is absolutely horrendous. Where else can you say hello and smile at someone only to be greeted by silence and complete indifference? I stand behind my statement that it's worse than anywhere else in the United States. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would work for $9 an hour, but of course someone has to do the work. Maybe things would get better if the minimum wage was higher?

And, yes, the correct way I should have asked for what I wanted was by referring to it as 'fajita', NOT green peppers. That was an error on my part. But it certainly didn't deserve someone going into a tirade. It is still work after all. There isn't a single good excuse for that type of behavior.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-10-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,250,461 times
Reminds me of when I've been in Boulder, CO. The people there were TOO NICE for me. After a while I was tired of the nice gestures from strangers and really missed NY's nonchalance.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM

14,779 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
What's strange is that there are Qdobas all over the country. My experiences with the ones in Michigan were always very good. You'd get the occasional person who was just really flaky, perhaps spaced out on drugs... but they were still polite. Almost painfully so. Anyone talking in the manner I originally described would have been fired on the spot. It just simply never would be tolerated by the public OR the management.

I have received excellent service at Saks and Lord & Taylor, as well as many of the higher-end restaurants. But at Duane Reade, CVS or any of the fast food restaurants it is absolutely horrendous. Where else can you say hello and smile at someone only to be greeted by silence and complete indifference? I stand behind my statement that it's worse than anywhere else in the United States. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would work for $9 an hour, but of course someone has to do the work. Maybe things would get better if the minimum wage was higher?

And, yes, the correct way I should have asked for what I wanted was by referring to it as 'fajita', NOT green peppers. That was an error on my part. But it certainly didn't deserve someone going into a tirade. It is still work after all. There isn't a single good excuse for that type of behavior.
Hmmm how come you did not eat at Chipotle?

Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM

72 posts, read 83,422 times
Quote:

Something like that happened to me once..

I was at Duane Reade on 63rd and 2nd.. and the cashier was ringing up customers while eating an ice cream cone.

Ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City