U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 03:48 PM

506 posts, read 839,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would work for $9 an hour, but of course someone has to do the work.
Not everyone can have whatever amazing job you have.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:35 PM

706 posts, read 820,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Bro, she has a 157 IQ. LOL

Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times
Quote:
What's strange is that there are Qdobas all over the country. My experiences with the ones in Michigan were always very good. You'd get the occasional person who was just really flaky, perhaps spaced out on drugs... but they were still polite. Almost painfully so. Anyone talking in the manner I originally described would have been fired on the spot. It just simply never would be tolerated by the public OR the management.

I have received excellent service at Saks and Lord & Taylor, as well as many of the higher-end restaurants. But at Duane Reade, CVS or any of the fast food restaurants it is absolutely horrendous. Where else can you say hello and smile at someone only to be greeted by silence and complete indifference? I stand behind my statement that it's worse than anywhere else in the United States. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would work for $9 an hour, but of course someone has to do the work. Maybe things would get better if the minimum wage was higher?

And, yes, the correct way I should have asked for what I wanted was by referring to it as 'fajita', NOT green peppers. That was an error on my part. But it certainly didn't deserve someone going into a tirade. It is still work after all. There isn't a single good excuse for that type of behavior.
Did it ever occur to you that some people can't find a better job? Take it easy.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM

14,779 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
What's strange is that there are Qdobas all over the country. My experiences with the ones in Michigan were always very good. You'd get the occasional person who was just really flaky, perhaps spaced out on drugs... but they were still polite. Almost painfully so. Anyone talking in the manner I originally described would have been fired on the spot. It just simply never would be tolerated by the public OR the management.

I have received excellent service at Saks and Lord & Taylor, as well as many of the higher-end restaurants. But at Duane Reade, CVS or any of the fast food restaurants it is absolutely horrendous. Where else can you say hello and smile at someone only to be greeted by silence and complete indifference? I stand behind my statement that it's worse than anywhere else in the United States. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would work for $9 an hour, but of course someone has to do the work. Maybe things would get better if the minimum wage was higher?

And, yes, the correct way I should have asked for what I wanted was by referring to it as 'fajita', NOT green peppers. That was an error on my part. But it certainly didn't deserve someone going into a tirade. It is still work after all. There isn't a single good excuse for that type of behavior.
Wow you shop at very high end places and establishments great, I hope you not showing off your superiority like you did with that high IQ stunt a couple of threads ago. As for 9 dollars? YOu need to understand that so many young people from Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin are coming to NYC gobbling up professional jobs from so many locals. Jobs are scarce here in NYC as well as job training resulting in many of the lower echlons of society to take scrap jobs like working at Duane Reade, or Rite Aide, I don't mind if its immigrants or ex cons working these jobs but when you have college educated people working at Starbucks, packing bags at Whole Foods, it becomes an huge issue that needs to be addressed. Even if workers get paid more, inflation is still on the rise in this country and can not be controlled. A relative of mines cried when she visited the American Southwest when she was served by a waiter at some outside sit in café. NYC does has the worst customer service but as a Native New Yorker I try not to let poor customer service get the best of me. If I was an out of towner I would create business that cater to out of town people as well as high end folks.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times
^^ Seems to me like the OP is coming off as snobbish.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Quote:
I don't understand it! Is it just that none of the managers care either? Because the behavior a lot of these workers display should be more than enough to get them canned. But it's just business as usual! For example, I got into a fight at Qdoba because I asked for peppers on my burrito. She literally snarled at me and told me they weren't peppers. I was like, "Bit@h please, I think I know what a friggin' green pepper is!" She mocked me when I asked for sour cream as well. This has only happened to me on this level in New York.
Simple, as with everything in NYC, service COSTS!!

Take this the wrong way, if you will, but the problem with your experience is that you cannot afford good service, so you haven't experienced it.

It would seem you need to scale up, in order to meet your needs and desires.

Buckle down and grab your bootstraps, NYC is the place dreams are made! Or, one can just whine!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,029,686 times
I am not trying to sound like a snob, but on my third day in the city I had a job where I made about $30 before taxes. Without trying that much. So I can't understand natives making a third, sorry. I am not from here so, again, don't be so quick to label. I'm just saying anyone with half a brain should be able to make more than that. $9 was less than a living wage in rural America in 1972. I came from sh*t and have never taken assistance, even when it got really bad and I lived on pasta and meal shakes. I have worked menial jobs, starting at 14. I am not privileged in any way. I am really starting to wonder if the breaks (supposedly, I maybe am now realizing) I got were just because I am pretty, educated, and white. I always thought NYC was so modern and progressive. It really is a superficial place. I can see how minorities feel oppressed. But I still would never commute from the Bronx for minimum wage. That just makes you a dumb *****.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-10-2013 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,029,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Like I said, if you think I'm privileged think again. I came from nothing. Everything I achieved was my own. I'll admit I grew up in a cozy, solidly middle class community. But I didn't get anything special, and have done everything on my own since I was barely out of high school. And why should my I.Q. be noteworthy? We live in a city of extremes far beyond that. No one ever hired me for having a high I.Q. lol... they hired me because I am a hard worker I would assume. With a solid fifteen year track record of always hitting high profits. Is that bad? I could have taken assistance and not worried. Why should I feel sorry for these people again?

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-10-2013 at 09:12 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM

26 posts, read 41,810 times
Quote:
I am not trying to sound like a snob, but on my third day in the city I had a job where I made about $30 before taxes. Without trying that much. So I can't understand natives making a third, sorry. I am not from here so, again, don't be so quick to label. I'm just saying anyone with half a brain should be able to make more than that. $9 was less than a living wage in rural America in 1972. I came from sh*t and have never taken assistance, even when it got really bad and I lived on pasta and meal shakes. I have worked menial jobs, starting at 14. I am not privileged in any way. I am really starting to wonder if the breaks (supposedly, I maybe am now realizing) I got were just because I am pretty, educated, and white. I always thought NYC was so modern and progressive. It really is a superficial place. I can see how minorities feel oppressed. But I still would never commute from the Bronx for minimum wage. That just makes you a dumb *****.
Ugh. Your ignorance is disgusting. You're not privileged in any way, huh? Didn't you say you are a "pretty" educated white middle-class American. So youre no more privileged than someone who grew up in the projects in the Bronx then I suppose? yeah, right. Yet you make $30 an hour and they make $9 an hour all because you're so smart and they're just dumb.. You obviously have no concept of the world outside of whatever bubble you came from.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 AM

706 posts, read 820,478 times
Quote:
Like I said, if you think I'm privileged think again. I came from nothing. Everything I achieved was my own. I'll admit I grew up in a cozy, solidly middle class community. But I didn't get anything special, and have done everything on my own since I was barely out of high school. And why should my I.Q. be noteworthy? We live in a city of extremes far beyond that. No one ever hired me for having a high I.Q. lol... they hired me because I am a hard worker I would assume. With a solid fifteen year track record of always hitting high profits. Is that bad? I could have taken assistance and not worried. Why should I feel sorry for these people again?
Life can break you whenever it wants to and you might need "those" people to lend you a helping hand.

Also, if your IQ is so high, why would you create a thread with a silly question? You should know the answer to this ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City