U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:23 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would work for $9 an hour, but of course someone has to do the work. Maybe things would get better if the minimum wage was higher?
What happened to your earlier days when you lived in NY, so poor you couldn't afford a $100 a/c, and when you had looked for a job for a year and still were only being offered $10/hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I could not afford a portable a/c unit (none in the building of course) so I suffered with two little miserable electric fans spewing air each way in my miserable little bedroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to NYC, a recent college grad who is also certified as a paralegal. My bachelor's is in psychology. After about a year of searching for a job as a paralegal and not being able to find anything other than pay I consider an insult ($10 an hour, no benefits), I have become pretty disillusioned and am just plain-out not happy.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:32 PM

506 posts, read 839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What happened to your earlier days when you lived in NY, so poor you couldn't afford a $100 a/c, and when you had looked for a job for a year and still were only being offered $10/hour?
She said she wouldn't work for $9. $10 is ok

Old 07-11-2013, 03:40 PM

99 posts, read 141,895 times
This chick is a wreck. Every time she starts a thread it's guaranteed you will get at least a few laughs at her ignorance.

Edit: Though I will say (getting back on topic), that customer service in NYC is certainly bad in certain types of businesses (drugstores, delis, some clothing stores). As a person who has worked many retail jobs since my mid teens, I've always held a minimum standard on how to treat customers. It was something my parents instilled in me since a young child that work is extremely important and you are to do your job to the best of your abilities no matter what the job may be. Perhaps some of the people working these low wage jobs weren't raised with those same values.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,029,686 times
You can say what you want. At least I'm not in Dallas, thank God. I live in a place where women actually have rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City