U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 AM

1,745 posts, read 2,029,686 times

Advertisements

I don't understand it! Is it just that none of the managers care either? Because the behavior a lot of these workers display should be more than enough to get them canned. But it's just business as usual! For example, I got into a fight at Qdoba because I asked for peppers on my burrito. She literally snarled at me and told me they weren't peppers. I was like, "Bit@h please, I think I know what a friggin' green pepper is!" She mocked me when I asked for sour cream as well. This has only happened to me on this level in New York.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:45 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,993,978 times
I thought you moved out of the city. Didn't you hate it like a few months ago?

Are you leaving/moving again soon?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 AM

1,745 posts, read 2,029,686 times
No, I am staying put. Without the wannabe-hipster pretense.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
Unfortunately it is mostly low class people, usually people from the hood, that work in these type of places. This is the case all over the city. However, dealing with customers [AKA New Yorkers] isn't any better.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I don't understand it! Is it just that none of the managers care either? Because the behavior a lot of these workers display should be more than enough to get them canned. But it's just business as usual! For example, I got into a fight at Qdoba because I asked for peppers on my burrito. She literally snarled at me and told me they weren't peppers. I was like, "Bit@h please, I think I know what a friggin' green pepper is!" She mocked me when I asked for sour cream as well. This has only happened to me on this level in New York.
Did you really say that or did you "say" it inside your head?? You need to be careful who you snap at in NYC! Remember the Cops are not here to protect you, they are here to maintain Law and Order.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,676,937 times
Place a complaint in against that specific branch.

Qdoba Mexican Grill

A lot of the time you need to be able to quickly read the employee and be able to change your tone as a customer accordingly.

Last edited by ShirlMastic Beach; 07-07-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 AM

470 posts, read 744,511 times
I'm going to preface this by saying that I have no idea how your particular anecdote went down, and that this isn't intended to imply anything about how you handled it. I'm only going to talk about my own experiences.

I haven't had a problem with customer service here in NYC, or really ever in my life. I've had things go wrong before, but I think you typically get respect if you give respect. If an employee makes a mistake, just be polite and explain what you got, what you asked for, and ask if it can be fixed. Food service employees get ****ty pay, work in pretty bad conditions (hot kitchens, incompetent coworkers, ******* managers, and rude/stupid customers), and tend not to get much respect.

My wife worked as a barista in a very busy bakery for several years, and she would often come home feeling exhausted and irritated by the events of that day. Some customers are just *******s. Some affect a condescending tone when speaking with the employees. Some order things that don't even exist, then insist quite rudely that they've gotten it before, so obviously the employee doesn't know what she's doing or must be knew (even when the employee has been there five years and had a 30% merit-based increase in pay over that time).

To get to the point, sometimes a customer's tone can dramatically affect the kind of service he or she will receive. If a particular person receives consistently poor service at many different businesses, then maybe the way that person is behaving is influencing the interactions in a negative way.

I'm not trying to 'victim-blame' in this case. Like I said, the OP may have behaved politely at every turn, even after things went wrong. The employee may have been a complete *******. But I do think that people who consistently receive poor service may need to reconsider whether they, themselves, have a role in it.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 AM

470 posts, read 744,511 times
Also, does Qdoba actually have green peppers as a topping? I don't remember seeing them and they aren't listed on the menu of their official website. There might be green peppers in another topping, as an ingredient, but there's no "green peppers". There is definitely sour cream, though.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times
Sounds like someone is having a bad day if you're that stressed out over something like that.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM

151 posts, read 352,603 times
Some customers are really rude and it rubs off onto the employee because they deal with so much crap all day. Don't take it personal. Have you ever worked in retain before? If you did, you would understand where the frustration comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City