U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,327,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
It would be about the same commute from Western Queens (Jackson Heights westward to LIC ) to Whitehall as getting to the ferry and to your job. Difference is except for winter and when the weather is very bad the commute will be nice. The areas I have heard are nice - Tompkinsville and some parts west of the ferry.
Ward Hill (just south/west of Tompkinsville) is nice. Tompkinsville itself isn't too nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsomevital View Post
Thank you! Does that area really suck? Are you referring to the criminal rate?
Well, there's definitely worse areas, but it's definitely not the greatest. I wouldn't go there expecting Mayberry, but if you have street-smarts, you should be alright.

There's portions of St. George such as the Fort Hill section that are nice, but you're bordering parts that aren't as nice.

Also, from a commuting perspective, it may sound nice that the ferry brings you directly from St. George to Lower Manhattan, but take it from a Staten Island resident: It's not all it's cracked up to be. The ferry runs every 30 minutes for most of the day (15-20 minutes during rush hour, and 60 minutes at night and on weekend evenings), so it's not like the subway where if you miss a train, the next one is a few minutes away. (And then they like to rub it in your face after the door closes and the ferry leaves that the next one leaves at HH:MM) And, depending on the time, it can be unreliable (You run like hell to catch the 2PM ferry, and it leaves at 2:10 or 2:15. Or worse, somebody got sick and instead of just taking them off and dealing with them, they cancel that trip. Plus, it's slow. It takes 25 minutes to go about 5 miles, which is 12 miles an hour (and the last 5 minutes is spent docking, and you just want to pull your hair out as it inches into the slip)

If you're going out to Staten Island, I recommend going further out and taking the express bus into Manhattan. While the express buses have their issues with reliability (since they deal with traffic), they are generally much more frequent than the ferry, and even if you get stuck in traffic, at least you can relax on the bus. (Plus, you're not limiting yourself to St. George. Although there are a bunch of buses that feed into the ferry, if you think the ferry itself is a hassle, imagine how bad it is to take a bus to the ferry.) That, and the express buses use BusTime, which allows you to track the buses. Either that, or you can go to southern Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 PM

19,381 posts, read 32,896,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Ward Hill (just south/west of Tompkinsville) is nice. Tompkinsville itself isn't too nice.

Well, there's definitely worse areas, but it's definitely not the greatest. I wouldn't go there expecting Mayberry, but if you have street-smarts, you should be alright.

There's portions of St. George such as the Fort Hill section that are nice, but you're bordering parts that aren't as nice.

Also, from a commuting perspective, it may sound nice that the ferry brings you directly from St. George to Lower Manhattan, but take it from a Staten Island resident: It's not all it's cracked up to be. The ferry runs every 30 minutes for most of the day (15-20 minutes during rush hour, and 60 minutes at night and on weekend evenings), so it's not like the subway where if you miss a train, the next one is a few minutes away. (And then they like to rub it in your face after the door closes and the ferry leaves that the next one leaves at HH:MM) And, depending on the time, it can be unreliable (You run like hell to catch the 2PM ferry, and it leaves at 2:10 or 2:15. Or worse, somebody got sick and instead of just taking them off and dealing with them, they cancel that trip. Plus, it's slow. It takes 25 minutes to go about 5 miles, which is 12 miles an hour (and the last 5 minutes is spent docking, and you just want to pull your hair out as it inches into the slip)

If you're going out to Staten Island, I recommend going further out and taking the express bus into Manhattan. While the express buses have their issues with reliability (since they deal with traffic), they are generally much more frequent than the ferry, and even if you get stuck in traffic, at least you can relax on the bus. (Plus, you're not limiting yourself to St. George. Although there are a bunch of buses that feed into the ferry, if you think the ferry itself is a hassle, imagine how bad it is to take a bus to the ferry.) That, and the express buses use BusTime, which allows you to track the buses. Either that, or you can go to southern Brooklyn.
When that R train or 1 train gets to Staten Island (if they ever do), it wil be over.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 AM

20,238 posts, read 26,581,816 times
Working near Whitehall, Staten Island seems a good choice and a monthly MTA pass gets your the Staten Islandd Rapid Transit train, so you don't need to live in St. George.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM

274 posts, read 551,154 times
I'd go by checkmatechamp's advice. I based mine on one person who lived in Grasmere and found that except for lower Manhattan (South Street Seaport and Financial District) the commute is a hassle.

I did know of a coworker who did the commute over the Verrazano with a bus to the R train in Brooklyn then to Kew Gardens in Queens. Nearly 2 hours. It still took over an hour to get to Central Park. Downtown Manhattan less town.

Anyway, sorry to mislead about Tomkinsville, I was basing on the fact they had the Gay Pride for Staten Island parade terminate in Tomkinsville this year and a New York Times article discussing the pluses of the neighborhood.

Last edited by astroia 34567; 07-09-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM

49 posts, read 22,701 times
I wouldn't live in St. George or any of the areas near the ferry honestly. I have lived in Staten Island for just over two years and the commute sucks unless you take the express bus. I live in the central part of the island (Willowbrook) with access to several buses: regular, limited and express. If your bus is running late, chances are you will miss the ferry which delays everything or the bus driver starts driving 100mph to try and make the ferry. I average an hour commute just from when getting on the ferry and transferring to the bus that takes me to my house; this doesn't include my commute time from midtown to the ferry. My wife works in Brooklyn and needs a bus and two trains and anywhere from 1hr 15min - 2hrs for her commute time just because the Staten Island buses are inconsistent.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like living in Staten Island with my wife. We enjoy the "suburban" lifestyle and easy access to New Jersey, but don't move here just to have an easy commute to Manhattan.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM

17 posts, read 12,274 times
Yeah and a cab will cost you a fortune if ya like city nightlife in Manh....--

Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 PM

14 posts, read 19,225 times
You will have to pay city income tax if you live on Staten Island but you should always consult with your accountant when having any tax related questions. If you do some research you will find that the area around the ferry is slated for one of the worlds largest Ferris wheel and an out door shopping outlet. Many Staten island residents travel to Manhattan with the ferry and they never complain. It must be exhilarating to start your day off with such an amazing view of the city. Moderator cut: Soliciting business is not allowed

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-30-2013 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Soliciting business

Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM

579 posts, read 719,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsomevital View Post
Thank you! Does that area really suck? Are you referring to the criminal rate?
Directly around the ferry it's a bit sketchy. But a mile or two away you have nice homes on quiet streets. Homes on Howard Ave for example are in the millions of $$. Some parts of New Brighton and Snug Harbor have lovely homes. Silver lake is also nice.

There are some nice high rises in St George and on a street by street basis you can find pleasant areas but like I said, it's sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or