U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,514,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Let me hear some names, I'd like to check them out. I've been turned off from having to sift through so much garbage in order to find one decent track. Why I've been sticking to the classics.
Kendrick Lamar

J Cole

Joey Bada$$

Fabolous

King Los

there's alot more but cant think of them rivht now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM

10,084 posts, read 7,805,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
Fabolous
I remember this guy. Wouldn't think he'd still be around.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:15 PM

394 posts, read 1,093,303 times
He's pretty good. I really liked some of the tracks on his first mixtape.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,289,340 times
Default perfect little trojan horse

Hip-hop was an early New York City 1980's youth culture. Mostly for immigrants like Puerto Ricans, Italians, Jamaicans, Dominicans and Haitians of the outer boroughs. This culture is long dead.

What we call hip-hop now is music industry social engineers selling degenerate southern sharecropper subversion to youth. The selling of this culture has nothing to do with the cultural phenomena of NYC in the 1980s. This is just another way to sell cultural subversion of mammon worship, demoralization, transient sex and breakdown of the family. Its the perfect little Trojan horse of cultural destruction if you are a ruling class social engineer. .

Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 PM

52,945 posts, read 76,069,739 times
Not that I listen as much as I used to, but maybe Kil Ripkin and Torae are some good NYC MC's that come to mind. Even though it is a bit old, but this is my favorite Kil Ripkin song: Kil Ripkin - Not You - YouTube

Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM

394 posts, read 1,093,303 times
I'll check him out

Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM

573 posts, read 1,248,735 times
KA, Roc Marciano, Bronson and affiliates, Doppelgangaz, Joey Bada$$ and Pro Era, Skyzoo, Torae, Bankai Fam, the list is endless, depending on your taste. There are tons of good mcs comin out of New York that have their own style and lane, plus some legends (like DITC, Boot Camp, Masta Ace, some Wu members etc) are still there. At the end of the day it all depends on what kinda style you like and where you look for, nowadays with the internets you can find pretty much every type of music you like, can't rely on TV/radio no more...

Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,759,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
KA, Roc Marciano, Bronson and affiliates, Doppelgangaz, Joey Bada$$ and Pro Era, Skyzoo, Torae, Bankai Fam, the list is endless, depending on your taste. There are tons of good mcs comin out of New York that have their own style and lane, plus some legends (like DITC, Boot Camp, Masta Ace, some Wu members etc) are still there. At the end of the day it all depends on what kinda style you like and where you look for, nowadays with the internets you can find pretty much every type of music you like, can't rely on TV/radio no more...
Someone who knows his stuff... There's two different movements in NYC right now... You got the commercial sell out type of rap... Guys like French Montana, and Asap among others and then you got the other movement that's only growing and growing as time passes... Even the younger generation is getting in on it... Pro Era created the young movement but the NY scene is as strong as it's been in a long time... I'd say at least ten years... And fruits of labor paid off with guys like Vado, Joell Ortiz, and Pro Era and it's paying off now for guys like Torae Skyzoo and some of the other guys they mentioned...

And for what it's worth it seems like some parts of the country are starting to go back to that old school more lyrical style again... guys like Dizzy wright among others show that have that old school vibe... But people who never really listened to hip hop but somehow seem to have so many opinions on the current state of hip hop only show their lack of knowledge through their posts...

Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,514,038 times
Also Asap Ferg at 6:50

YouTube

Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM

2,007 posts, read 4,240,856 times
This seems true a lot of times in the mainstream, but as some other posters mentioned, there are rappers both mainstream & underground that haven't forgotten that hip hop started in the Bronx & in the park with real MC's, graffiti, breakdancing, b-boying, etc. Nas is well known in the mainstream, and although he'll never put out another Illmatic, he still puts out some pretty solid hip hop even if isn't hardcore late 80's/early 90's boom bap. Chicago native Common is another mainstream artist that puts out some pretty fresh music. You really do gotta go more underground for more of the fresh hip hop. You got unlikely dudes like Queens native Action Bronson who is half Albanian & half Jewish starting to put out music with guest appearances from the likes of LL Cool J & Lloyd Banks (Strictly 4 My Jeeps Remix). Who would've thought this would happen? LOL. I like what frenchy93 said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Hip-hop was an early New York City 1980's youth culture. Mostly for immigrants like Puerto Ricans, Italians, Jamaicans, Dominicans and Haitians of the outer boroughs. This culture is long dead.

What we call hip-hop now is music industry social engineers selling degenerate southern sharecropper subversion to youth. The selling of this culture has nothing to do with the cultural phenomena of NYC in the 1980s. This is just another way to sell cultural subversion of mammon worship, demoralization, transient sex and breakdown of the family. Its the perfect little Trojan horse of cultural destruction if you are a ruling class social engineer. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or