U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 PM

813 posts, read 806,656 times

Advertisements

there are a lot of good artists in the metro area getting famous and making dope music

Joey Badass and Pro Era (Brooklyn)
ASAP Rocky and the ASAP Mob (Harlem)
Flatbush Zombies (Brooklyn, obviously)
Action Bronson (Queens)
Smoke DZA (Harlem)
Ka (Brooklyn)
Roc Marciano (Long Island)
French Montana and Coke Boys (Bronx/Queens)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 PM

556 posts, read 813,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Let me hear some names, I'd like to check them out. I've been turned off from having to sift through so much garbage in order to find one decent track. Why I've been sticking to the classics.
Big K.R.I.T.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 PM

556 posts, read 813,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay718 View Post
Kendrick Lamar

J Cole

Joey Bada$$

Fabolous

King Los

there's alot more but cant think of them rivht now
Big KRIT too!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 AM

362 posts, read 700,553 times
Hip hop today? They still play hip hop? I think that today's hip hop is garbage.

Here's what I mean. Mark Morrison’s Return of the Mack. While you wouldn't necessarily consider it hip hop, it was something you would bump in your car back in the days. When French Montana did a rap version to this perfectly good song, he destroyed it and my thoughts of listening to any new hip hop. I rather listen to the news on my drive to and from work. "You give us 22 minutes; we'll give you the world." I find that more entertaining than the crap that comes on the radio now.

I still listen to Classic Flavors from time to time with Chubb Rock or I bump Pandora for the real stuff. Was just listening to some Mr. Scarface on the way in today. His delivery and his lyrics are classic in my opinion.

Rap is not just having a beast of a bass drum to rap to. You have to have something to have the listener say hmmm... yo, that's clever.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,120,562 times
stuff is still coming out. it's still on the radio.
since so much has been made, there are
plenty of crates to dig through to find what
you want plus there is still new underground
hip hop out there too. music is music.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM

813 posts, read 806,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatrk View Post
Hip hop today? They still play hip hop? I think that today's hip hop is garbage.

Here's what I mean. Mark Morrison’s Return of the Mack. While you wouldn't necessarily consider it hip hop, it was something you would bump in your car back in the days. When French Montana did a rap version to this perfectly good song, he destroyed it and my thoughts of listening to any new hip hop. I rather listen to the news on my drive to and from work. "You give us 22 minutes; we'll give you the world." I find that more entertaining than the crap that comes on the radio now.

I still listen to Classic Flavors from time to time with Chubb Rock or I bump Pandora for the real stuff. Was just listening to some Mr. Scarface on the way in today. His delivery and his lyrics are classic in my opinion.

Rap is not just having a beast of a bass drum to rap to. You have to have something to have the listener say hmmm... yo, that's clever.
that French song came out like in 09.............rap has changed since then

Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 AM

2,007 posts, read 4,239,586 times
Out of this list, French Montana is a bit suspect. He knows what real hip hop is, but it is clear that the almighty dollar is #1 to him. He's currently on Bad Boy Records with Diddy, and a lot of what he puts out is in line with the dirty south sound moreso than a real New York sound. The same can be said at times about ASAP Rocky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
there are a lot of good artists in the metro area getting famous and making dope music

Joey Badass and Pro Era (Brooklyn)
ASAP Rocky and the ASAP Mob (Harlem)
Flatbush Zombies (Brooklyn, obviously)
Action Bronson (Queens)
Smoke DZA (Harlem)
Ka (Brooklyn)
Roc Marciano (Long Island)
French Montana and Coke Boys (Bronx/Queens)

Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM

48 posts, read 107,699 times
i dont like todays hip hop out of the states, its always the same ... retarded bull****. i like european rap though.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,120,562 times
don't sleep on french because he can maneuver
southpaw and still talk ny lingo.

son chops it up. at least he stays hype on the mic.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM

145 posts, read 240,949 times
I'm more concerned about the mental state of people who still listen to Hip Hop....especially if they are overt the age of 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or