Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times

Advertisements

I know Riverdale has always been a White majority neighborhood, but of late I've been noticing quite a few African-Americans in the area, more than I'm used to seeing. I've been seeing a few more Asians and Hispanics as well. They seem to be visiting though, as in dining in restaurants or taking tours of the area. The reason I find it strange is because Riverdale is rather out of the way and isolated and not exactly "touristy" by any means.

Maybe rlrl or some others can shed some light on the situation. Is Riverdale a new "tourist" destination or what gives? If it was trendy I could understand but it's far from that.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Trust me,
One thing Riverdale is NOT is a tourist destination.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Trust me,
One thing Riverdale is NOT is a tourist destination.
I know but you know what's funny is I've seen people really dressed up coming here for dinner and I say to myself are they really coming to Riverdale for a nice night out? There's nothing wrong with that but the neighborhood isn't exactly boasting 5 star restaurants, nor is it known for having a great night life. LOL

There are a few places that I dine at but they're nothing fancy or special and are what I would consider local places that I would visit when I want to stay in Riverdale and go some place local. For serious cuisine we always go to Manhattan. There have been a few new places that have opened up but I don't see what is so great about them. I certainly wouldn't make a trip up here just to visit them.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM

I have friends in Riverdale...

PLEASE tell me some of these fine dining spots you seem to know. I have always assume "nightlife" was a couple glasses of wine on a sofa and then a long subway ride home.

(They are in the Towers on 5800 Arlington.)

Cheap and Good is also a nice combo.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Proabably tourists looking for Archie Andrews.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have friends in Riverdale...

PLEASE tell me some of these fine dining spots you seem to know. I have always assume "nightlife" was a couple glasses of wine on a sofa and then a long subway ride home.

(They are in the Towers on 5800 Arlington.)

Cheap and Good is also a nice combo.
You mean in Riverdale or in Manhattan?

Yes 5800 Arlington... I know of a few people that live in that complex. Kind of out of the way, but it's nice. Reminds me a bit of a few co-ops down in Spuyten Duyvil.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
FYI Riverdale has been an historically Jewish neighborhood, not a white neighborhood. And yes, there is a big difference..

Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
FYI Riverdale has been an historically Jewish neighborhood, not a white neighborhood. And yes, there is a big difference..
Not really. It's only recently that more Jews have been moving in. North Riverdale in particular has been known for its Irish population. There are certainly some down in Spuyten Duyvil as well. The Jews are moving to Fieldston, and are along the Parkway. They're also moving into North Riverdale.

The White population here is a mixture.... Some Greeks, some Italians (neither group is big but they're still here, but are certainly American born except for the grandparents), Irish (both from Ireland and Irish-Americans and still a sizable population), some Russians and some Albanians here and there and then you have your transplants from the Upper East and Upper West Side that are of old money and certainly White but not necessarily Jewish.

The Jewish population here has always been present, no question, but you have plenty of Whites here that are not Jewish. I can personally attest to that as I am not Jewish.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM

I mean Riverdale...
I know Manhattan very well.

(You aren't in the Spuyten Deuvil co-op that partially collapsed? Saint somebody-or other, are you?

Yeah,
Those top of the world apartments on Arlington are FAR OUT, except the views are just to DIE for.
Public transportation is beyond abominable.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I know Riverdale has always been a White majority neighborhood, but of late I've been noticing quite a few African-Americans in the area, more than I'm used to seeing. I've been seeing a few more Asians and Hispanics as well. They seem to be visiting though, as in dining in restaurants or taking tours of the area. The reason I find it strange is because Riverdale is rather out of the way and isolated and not exactly "touristy" by any means.

Maybe rlrl or some others can shed some light on the situation. Is Riverdale a new "tourist" destination or what gives? If it was trendy I could understand but it's far from that.
How could you possibly know whether they are residents or visitors ? Logic,including your own observation that there is nothing special to see or do there,suggests that they might be residents.

Perhaps you are simply noticing an emerging demographic trend.Rents in most of Riverdale are not really any higher than anywhere else in The Bronx and there is always sort of a glut of apartments for rent and sale, so it would make perfect sense for people to move there as opposed to a lot of other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City