U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Queens, NYC
150 posts, read 214,331 times
Reputation: 93

Advertisements

Yeah, I feel ya. After this summer, I'm not sure if I want to experience another one.. I mean, I've been here almost my whole life, but maybe it's cause I'm getting older, I can't take this **** no more. BUT, the fall in NYC is like HEAVEN for me.. Very nice. I'll probably try and move to another state that has NYC fall weather mostly throughout the year in the future..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM
 
104 posts, read 128,034 times
Reputation: 192
First time in NYC this past weekend, and OMG, it was hawt. I'm from Vancouver, CANADA and I barely survived.

As for the smell of garbage, I can't help but notice it. Is that just a summer thing, then? Because I couldn't also help but notice the garbage bags strewn along the sidewalks. This doesn't occur in the wintertime?

I actually thought the subways themselves pretty comforting (the platforms are another matter). The buses were great. Almost all air-conditioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Reputation: 9029
The two men in my life I love dearly: FEDDERS and FRIEDRICH! I had a fling long ago with EMERSON but he didn't "put out" enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 AM
 
4,784 posts, read 4,669,685 times
Reputation: 5521
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
First time in NYC this past weekend, and OMG, it was hawt. I'm from Vancouver, CANADA and I barely survived.

As for the smell of garbage, I can't help but notice it. Is that just a summer thing, then? Because I couldn't also help but notice the garbage bags strewn along the sidewalks. This doesn't occur in the wintertime?

I actually thought the subways themselves pretty comforting (the platforms are another matter). The buses were great. Almost all air-conditioned.

The garbage is there in the winter but the sun beating down on the garbage all summer at these temperatures is what really makes the smell great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 AM
 
Location: New York City
7,127 posts, read 5,501,956 times
Reputation: 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
First time in NYC this past weekend, and OMG, it was hawt. I'm from Vancouver, CANADA and I barely survived.

As for the smell of garbage, I can't help but notice it. Is that just a summer thing, then? Because I couldn't also help but notice the garbage bags strewn along the sidewalks. This doesn't occur in the wintertime?

I actually thought the subways themselves pretty comforting (the platforms are another matter). The buses were great. Almost all air-conditioned.
Residential garbage collection is on a regular 2 day pickup schedule by the city. For commercial pickup, businesses are on their own and they contract their own collection. The carting companies come at all times of the day or night and it's different for every business on the street. So at any given time, there are always a handful of rotting vats of chinese & mexican food "chilling" on the sidewalk next to 120 degree pavement. Welp, at least the mob doesn't run the carting co.s anymore

Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,894,422 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK04 View Post
Yeah, I feel ya. After this summer, I'm not sure if I want to experience another one.. I mean, I've been here almost my whole life, but maybe it's cause I'm getting older, I can't take this **** no more. BUT, the fall in NYC is like HEAVEN for me.. Very nice. I'll probably try and move to another state that has NYC fall weather mostly throughout the year in the future..
The other weird thing of late has been the rain. Yesterday it started to pour in Manhattan. I got to Riverdale and it was dry as a bone with the clear blue skies. This happened last week too. Talk about the odds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Reputation: 9029
I often speak to a woman in Rego Park on the phone and she will tell me "It's POURING" and the Sun is shining in Manhattan...or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 AM
 
30,341 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Reputation: 14006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Gahhh I cannot take this heat anymore!! Cannot wait until middle/end of September
My grandparents used to solve this problem by going up to the Catskills for a week or two during July and/or August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 AM
 
917 posts, read 1,703,212 times
Reputation: 700
Yeah it gets pretty hot but summer is still my favorite season. I hate when September comes and it gets cooler.

I was just telling someone it's hotter in NY than when I went to Puerto Rico a few weeks ago. I guess because of the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM
 
Location: New York City
7,127 posts, read 5,501,956 times
Reputation: 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
The other weird thing of late has been the rain. Yesterday it started to pour in Manhattan. I got to Riverdale and it was dry as a bone with the clear blue skies. This happened last week too. Talk about the odds.
It's this weather pattern we've been stuck in for a couple weeks and look to be stuck with for more. There are pockets of instability all over the Northeast and in any given hour the skies could open over just a 50 block radius
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top