Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 AM

63 posts, read 152,277 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to get some input on the time you think is needed to move out of a 1BR apt. I have flat rate quotes and hourly quotes so I am trying my best to compare them.

I live in a 1BR apt in a doorman/elevator building. I plan on doing all the packing myself and just need the movers to carry the boxes (30 boxes maybe) and handle the furniture. There's a bed and table that would need to be disassebled and reassembled. Other than that there is a sofa and love seat and 2 dressers. I'm moving into a house and I can caculate the travel time myself (less than an hour to the house) but was wondering how long I should estimate it would take to get everything out of the apartment and unloaded from the truck into the house.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
I was hoping to get some input on the time you think is needed to move out of a 1BR apt. I have flat rate quotes and hourly quotes so I am trying my best to compare them.

I live in a 1BR apt in a doorman/elevator building. I plan on doing all the packing myself and just need the movers to carry the boxes (30 boxes maybe) and handle the furniture. There's a bed and table that would need to be disassebled and reassembled. Other than that there is a sofa and love seat and 2 dressers. I'm moving into a house and I can caculate the travel time myself (less than an hour to the house) but was wondering how long I should estimate it would take to get everything out of the apartment and unloaded from the truck into the house.

Thanks.
Sometimes it's better to go with the flat rates rather than hourly because some movers will milk the job. They just move slow taking boxes out or disassembling/wrapping furniture to squeeze in as many hours as they can. Also, watch for all the added fees. Count the # of rolls of tape used and some places charge for the blankets to wrap furniture, meanwhile you don't even keep them. I moved from a 2 bedroom apt to a house, which was only 20 minutes away or so. We had a lot of furniture and 30 boxes. It took around 6 hrs. There were 3 guys and they moved their butts (but carefully). They didn't want to stop for their lunchbreak. They got to the house, unloaded, reassembled furniture and then took their break. Moving into the house was quick because everything is on the first floor and we had them put all the boxes right into the garage.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 AM

282 posts, read 575,493 times
I agree--go with the flat rate--unexpected things can happen. When we moved and got to our new building, the elevator was broken and we had to wait for it to be fixed.

We had a lot more furniture than you and, not counting the stoppage time, it took about 5-6 hours to get everything wrapped, out, moved and into the new place. We packed all our own boxes--they just wrapped up the pictures, furniture, etc.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I too think one should go with a flat rate that is decided upon before the actual move.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 PM

63 posts, read 152,277 times
I should have added that the flat rate is equivalent to a 9 hour move (based on the hourly rate).

Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
I should have added that the flat rate is equivalent to a 9 hour move (based on the hourly rate).
How much are they quoting per hour? You probably won't need the flat rate then. If you're moving only about 30 minutes away and your boxes are already packed, it shouldn't take that long to move a 1 bedroom apartment. If you don't have a large diningroom table and/or china closet/curio cabinet or large entertainment center to breakdown then it shouldn't take 9 hrs. But keep in mind if you go hourly and they take a one hour break (just an example), they may charge you for it.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:

Someone just asked this question not too long ago. Based on your information, I would not take the flat rate because it will not take you nine hours to move and if it did, they're ripping you off. How many people will there be? Are you moving to another elevator building?

My husband and I moved from a one bedroom apartment to another one bedroom apartment. We were also in a doorman/elevator building. However, our travel distance was less than yours---ours was more like a five or ten minute distance. We did have them stop at another place to pick up another set of boxes that we had stored away. They disassembled and reassembled most of our furniture but we tossed a bunch of the bedroom stuff. We did an hourly rate, since they quoted four hours. It was less than $400 for three guys and they made it right under the four hour mark. They were really fast.

At first we wanted to move ourselves but I will tell you right now---hiring movers was the one thing I didn't mind spending money on.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 PM

389 posts, read 664,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Someone just asked this question not too long ago. Based on your information, I would not take the flat rate because it will not take you nine hours to move and if it did, they're ripping you off. How many people will there be? Are you moving to another elevator building?

My husband and I moved from a one bedroom apartment to another one bedroom apartment. We were also in a doorman/elevator building. However, our travel distance was less than yours---ours was more like a five or ten minute distance. We did have them stop at another place to pick up another set of boxes that we had stored away. They disassembled and reassembled most of our furniture but we tossed a bunch of the bedroom stuff. We did an hourly rate, since they quoted four hours. It was less than $400 for three guys and they made it right under the four hour mark. They were really fast.

At first we wanted to move ourselves but I will tell you right now---hiring movers was the one thing I didn't mind spending money on.
any chance you could msg me the movers you used (hourly)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City