Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I agree!! The high temps plus the humidity is the WORST!! What I don't understand is why is the humidity always so high in NYC in the summer yet we're on a coast, surrounded by water in fact (sounds, bays, rivers), and not located in a subtropical region? We get no benefit at all from being a coastal city when you think about it: no beautiful beaches, no ocean breezes, no long periods of 70 degrees days (San Diego). This place feels as hot and muggy as Itta Bena, Mississippi in August but we're still in July. Thankfully I have a window A/C. I'd planned to only turn it on at night but since is so muggy all day and night I keep the thing on all the time until I leave for work; I use the remote timer to turn it on before I get home so I can walk into a cool apt after a long day. If things go as it normally does, it will cool down at the end of August and by mid-Sept, I'll be wearing a sweater or lite jacket in the evenings.
NYC's climate is changing. The humidity has certainly gotten worse. Lately we've been getting stuck in these stalled patterns. The normal flow of weather from west to east meets a roadblock off the east coast, the Western Atlantic Ridge. When I was younger I always remember heat waves, they'd last for a week or less and then we'd get a week or two of dry, warm weather. But the cold fronts that would bring that relief are more infrequent, they often get stalled out by the ridge. We've had over a month straight of a Western Atlantic Ridge pattern, an abnormally strong and large high pressure system in the Atlantic Ocean blocks drier air from the west, so we get stuck under a persistant SW flow of air from the tropics. The west coast is cooler because they do not have a Gulf Stream. Offshore we have a Gulf Stream, a flow of warm 80+ degree water. In recent years rising ocean temperatures have strengthened the Gulf Stream, which helps re-inforce the Ridge. Water temps offshore are already in the mid 70s, well above normal for this time of year (supposed to be around 68). Warm water, a blocking ridge, means a humid, tropical summer for NYC. It also means more hurricanes. We have one for 2 years in a row (Irene, Sandy) and I think we may have a 3rd this year. Sandy was a destructive storm because unlike most storms which weaken when the move over colder water, the water offshore was still warm and allowed it to strengthen. It's unusual track was caused by...you guessed it, an abnormally strong Western Atlantic Ridge, which blocked it from going out to sea and pushed it into NJ south of NYC. This is a sign of things to come with our changing climate, most likely Global Warming caused by the continued emission of carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels. What is happening is the subtropics are beginning to extend up the east coast. Conditions in summer will be similar from FL all the way up to Mass., as the now permanent summer ridge will keep the whole east coast in humid, warm tropical air. Pretty much along the east coast the normal north-south temp gradient will be shifted 90 deg to the left, with cooler temps as one heads west away from the warm ocean. I wish my fellow NY'ers would take this more seriously, but judging by all the Range Rovers and other collosal SUV's I see in and around NYC, people could care less. Just remember, this is the new normal, and a "Sandy" every year is every bit a possibility. Those scientists predicting what would happen years ago were right on the money. We need to cease burning fossil fuels like we do, and work on a plan to cool the oceans.
Busting hurricanes with ocean cooling pumps | Watch the Video | SmartPlanet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
but there is a big price for that moderate summer....the long brutal winter.
is it expensive to buy a condo in moscow? I am thinking of having a summer place to escape when i no longer need to work to live
Yeah the winters are kinda long and depressing

Also I hope you mean one of those highrise condos, cuz we don't have many two-story condos here lol. Also it's very expensive. At least as expensive as the richer parts of Brooklyn. On the other hand, there's so many art galleries back there. And theatres. And the inner garden ring has amazing architecture.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
The "real feel" temp on Thursday is supposed to be 108 degrees (actual temp 95), according to accuweather. This week is going to suck.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Get ready for a BOILERAMA which begins promptly TODAY, Monday, and will go all week.
Yechhhhh!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 AM

515 posts, read 623,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Gahhh I cannot take this heat anymore!! Cannot wait until middle/end of September
The whole country is like this save for a very few areas. Imagine summer weather expanding closer to 8 months out of the year like in South Florida. San Diego is the best option if weather totally dominates your psyche.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
Put air conditioning in the subway stations and waiting areas just like LA. No problem in LA since they have air conditionings in the tunnels and waiting areas. What's up with NY? No air conditioning in the tunnels for subway and the stations!
The NYC subways are cut and cover, they built them by digging a trench and covering it up with steel. Ventilation comes from grates on the street.

The LA subway is subterranean, they need to pump in air for ventilation so it's not a big stretch to introduce HVAC units in the air cycle. You can't just add AC in a typical NYC subway station, it would cost a fortune. The 2nd avenue line which is under construction now is taking AC into account from the beginning and is going to build it into the new stations on the UES

Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
The whole country is like this save for a very few areas. Imagine summer weather expanding closer to 8 months out of the year like in South Florida. San Diego is the best option if weather totally dominates your psyche.
A lot of places are dryer though. Dry heat is different. Everybody has their preferences. I occasionally hear people say they like the humidity. Personally I hate it. Much prefer dry summers. The only thing I like about the humidity is my eyes get less dry.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The NYC subways are cut and cover, they built them by digging a trench and covering it up with steel. Ventilation comes from grates on the street.

The LA subway is subterranean, they need to pump in air for ventilation so it's not a big stretch to introduce HVAC units in the air cycle. You can't just add AC in a typical NYC subway station, it would cost a fortune. The 2nd avenue line which is under construction now is taking AC into account from the beginning and is going to build it into the new stations on the UES
IMO they will eventually buckle down and begin a process of gradually remodeling all the stations to get AC. It's going to cost a pretty penny but it's becoming a must. It's becoming a health and safety issue.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
IMO they will eventually buckle down and begin a process of gradually remodeling all the stations to get AC. It's going to cost a pretty penny but it's becoming a must. It's becoming a health and safety issue.
Let's wait 'til the finish the Second Avenue line before we go into "pie in the sky."

Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM

143 posts, read 298,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It may not be the worst but it's one of the worst.

95 with no humidity is far superior than an NYC 85 with humidity.

I agree. I've been to Spain in the summertime and we were walking around in above 100 degrees weather but it was dry with no humidity. Much better than the summers in NYC where you're battling the humidity and bad air quality. So much so that I think you'd be in more danger of developing heat stroke in Spain because it's deceptively more comfortable so you stay out in the sun longer whereas in NYC, you can't wait to seek shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City