U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,490 posts, read 3,820,012 times
Reputation: 2138

Advertisements

ummm I don't know about finding an apartment in a week. It could take a lot longer than that. And if you have limited income, chances are it will be a dump. If your credit is not so great, you will have an issue not to mention people will be very hesitant to rent to you with no job. And jobs are scarce too.

My boyfriend's nephew came up here from VA in late March and has a job, and he can't find a place. He has no credit and no one will give him a chance with apartments. He's also young, like you, plus he smokes, which makes it harder. But he has been staying with us and it's getting old, to be honest.

I won't knock you for trying to make the move out here, I am planning to move to CA from here, so I know how it feels to hate where you live.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM
 
274 posts, read 549,151 times
Reputation: 183
If you are young as in your case, getting a job door to door in industries such as restaurants and bars and retail will be easier than someone older. BUT it helps a ton if you have experience. You will have an easier time finding restuarant and bar jobs if you look in the boroughs sometimes. But the restaurant business in NYC can be brutal. IT is growing quickly in NYC so scout jobs for that if you have experience. Tons of IT start-ups in the Flatiron district.

Temping is not so great here, but better than in some other cities. You would do best to take long-term assignments of 3 + months. So many companies use temp agencies to try out potential full-time permanent employees these days.

There is also a large "black market " for labor. There a many rich folks or sort-of-rich looking for people with skilled trades to paint their place or fix it up. The key is to advertise where the money is.

It would help to know what is your work experience and skill set. For example, companies are moving to Williamsburg, LIC/Queens Plaza, and the financial industry is far more spread out from Wall Street to midtown Manhattan to Jersey City, NJ. Another example is the hospitality/hotel industry - the more affordable hotels have formed centers in LIC in Queens and Gowanus (around the 4th Ave corridor) in Brooklyn.

My point, your field of work may help you determine where you want to live. One bit if advice from someone who has lived in NYC since 1994 and continues to live in Queens since then - avoid a commute whenever possible that is over 45 minutes one way. I have learned a long commute time is an incredible stressor and over time you will want to be as close to your job as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 745,307 times
Reputation: 342
My commute is right at 45 mins and I would probably lose it if it was much longer than that. All it takes is some signalling trouble and my 45 minutes becomes 2 hours. Can't imagine if I had to put up with 1+ hour one way on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 PM
 
33 posts, read 39,748 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
ummm I don't know about finding an apartment in a week. It could take a lot longer than that. And if you have limited income, chances are it will be a dump. If your credit is not so great, you will have an issue not to mention people will be very hesitant to rent to you with no job. And jobs are scarce too.

My boyfriend's nephew came up here from VA in late March and has a job, and he can't find a place. He has no credit and no one will give him a chance with apartments. He's also young, like you, plus he smokes, which makes it harder. But he has been staying with us and it's getting old, to be honest.

I won't knock you for trying to make the move out here, I am planning to move to CA from here, so I know how it feels to hate where you live.

Good luck to you!
Yeah the not so great credit thing is a bummer, but that's why I'm shooting to just rent a room as opposed to getting my own apt. I've been looking at rooms in some of the neighborhoods I'm interested in and I'm finding lots in the 900-1100 range. I really don't mind roommates as I tend to get along with just about everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 745,307 times
Reputation: 342
What kind of retail did you work in? Does 'high end' mean luxury brand retail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
 
274 posts, read 549,151 times
Reputation: 183
Oh and areas to live for short-term that are reasonable to dirt cheap, Ok to very safe, but may have a long commute:

Bronx: Areas around Pelham Bay Park or Van Courtland Park, some areas of Kingsbridge, Morris Heights/University Heights from Burnside Ave north, some enclavs in South Bronx.

Brooklyn: Greenpoint, some eastern portions of Crown Heights (around Utica Ave), Highland Park area of Cypress Hills (Norwood Street Alabama St stops on J), Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, the far southern and eastern edges of Williamsburg, Bushwick, parts of Bed Sty (cheper as you get closer to the J train, nicer but a little more expensive as you go toward the A on Fulton)

Queens: Astoria/Woodside areas, Ravenswood in LIC, Woodside, Sunnyside (Greenpoint Ave to LI Expressway cheaper that historic district to the north), Elmhurst, Jackson Heights (especially outside the historic district), East Elmhurst/North Corona, Forest Hills, some areas of Jamaica (try for areas near the train stations but north of Jamaica Ave)

Staten Island: Not my specialty but for areas near the ferry landing:Tompkinsville, West Brighton. Closer to Verrazanno but you will have a long commute unless you work in Brooklyn - Grasmere and areas around Fort Wadsworth.

Manhattan - Washington Heights, West Harlem, Manhattan Valley and the area around St John the Divine, some areas of East Harlem, eastern parts of Yorkville, Lower East Side.

Consider too New Jersey - Jersey City around Journal Square and areas west of Grove Street PATH station (heading toward Journal Square) , Ironbound and even parts of downtown (Broad Street from Market to Washington Park//Rutgers U has some good areas and safe) in Newark, Union City (though not a ton of trains tons of buses run to Manhattan), Harrison (near the Path Station and RedBull stadium is the most convenient area)

Now, I am be rather cheap with my recommendations - yes you may find a great roommate situation in far west Midtown (I recommend the areas around Javits Center and avoid living near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel and near the bus station just too much traffic and noise unless you live way up in a high rise), Upper West Side and East Village, but it might take more time.

San Diego and NYC are different and I am thinking choosing a laid-back neighborhood close to the high energy of Manhattan would be best for you. For you, my short-term choice would be Tomkinsville in Staten Island - has a huge, historic outdoor pool, a growing Sri Lankan community and ethnic restaurants and growing artists community. If you want to be closer and less laid back than I would try East Williamsburg,Bushwick, Greenpoint, Astoria (again cheaper the further you are away from the train lines ), southern areas of Park Slope (heading toward Sunset Park).

Last edited by astroia 34567; 07-09-2013 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,490 posts, read 3,820,012 times
Reputation: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
Oh and areas to live for short-term that are reasonable to dirt cheap, Ok to very safe, but may have a long commute:

Bronx: Areas around Pelham Bay Park or Van Courtland Park, some areas of Kingsbridge, Morris Heights/University Heights from Burnside Ave north, some enclavs in South Bronx.

Brooklyn: Greenpoint, some eastern portions of Crown Heights (around Utica Ave), Highland Park area of Cypress Hills (Norwood Street Alabama St stops on J), Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, the far southern and eastern edges of Williamsburg, Bushwick, parts of Bed Sty (cheper as you get closer to the J train, nicer but a little more expensive as you go toward the A on Fulton)

Queens: Astoria/Woodside areas, Ravenswood in LIC, Woodside, Sunnyside (Greenpoint Ave to LI Expressway cheaper that historic district to the north), Elmhurst, Jackson Heights (especially outside the historic district), East Elmhurst/North Corona, Forest Hills, some areas of Jamaica (try for areas near the train stations but north of Jamaica Ave)

Staten Island: Note my specialty but for areas near the ferry landing:Tompkinsville, West Brighton. Closer to Verrazanno but you will have a long commute unless you work in Brooklyn - Grasmere and areas around Fort Wadsworth.

Manhattan - Washignton Heights, West Harlem, Manhattan Valley and the area around St John the Divine, some areas of East Harlem, eastern parts of Yorkville, Lower East Side.

Consider too New Jersey - Jersey City around Journal Square and areas west of Grove Street PATH station (heading toward Journal Square) , Ironbound and even parts of downtown (Broad Street from Market to Washington Park//Rutgers U has some good areas and safe) in Newark, Union City (though not a ton of trains tons of buses run to Manhattan), Harrison (near the Path Station and RedBull stadium is the most convenient area)

Now, I am be rather cheap with my recommendations - yes you may find a great roommate situation in far west Midtown (I recommend the areas around Javits Center and avoid living near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel and near the bus station just too much traffic and noise unless you live way up in a high rise), Upper West Side and East Village, but it might take more time.

San Diego and NYC are different and I am thinking choosing a laid-back neighborhood close to the high energy of Manhattan would be best for you. For you, my short-term choice would be Tomkinsville in Staten Island - has a huge, historic outdoor pool, a growing Sri Lankan community and ethnic restaurants and growing artists community. If you want to be closer and less laid back than I would try East Williamsburg,Bushwick, Greenpoint, Astoria (again cheaper the further you are away from the train lines ), southern areas of Park Slope (heading toward Sunset Park).
Tomkinsville is not the safest area....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM
 
9,943 posts, read 7,702,682 times
Reputation: 4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
Ok to very safe
This is a very wide range. Not sure if "OK" in Brooklyn would be the same as "OK" in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,490 posts, read 3,820,012 times
Reputation: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneFnR View Post
Yeah the not so great credit thing is a bummer, but that's why I'm shooting to just rent a room as opposed to getting my own apt. I've been looking at rooms in some of the neighborhoods I'm interested in and I'm finding lots in the 900-1100 range. I really don't mind roommates as I tend to get along with just about everyone...
Yea, my boyfriend's nephew has been trying that as well..the renting a room thing, but no luck. I do think he is only looking in Staten Island though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:01 PM
 
33 posts, read 39,748 times
Reputation: 18
I definitely want to be in manhattan but I hadn't really considered doing queens or Brooklyn for maybe two, three months while I look for the right situation, cuz I've been locked into that one year lease mentality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top