U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:46 PM

33 posts, read 39,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I'm sorry but as someone whose husband is in the restaurant business, I do not agree that selling shoes means you would be a good waiter. Taking shoe "orders" is very different than being a waiter. It's difficult to find a restaurant job without prior experience.
At my job I juggle as many as 6 customers at once bringing out multiple pairs in multiple sizes, all while answering phones, and cleaning up after myself as I go. I know it's not the same thing but if I I can carry stacks of shoes taller than me while wearing a suit and a smile I know I can handle being a waiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:08 PM

7,157 posts, read 5,525,007 times
Wayne: do us all a solid be a good citizen - save your username & password in a safe place. Please come back after all is said in done in 12 months and post an update whatever happened. Most people on these hundreds of threads just disappear and we never know what happened

Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,266,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneFnR View Post
At my job I juggle as many as 6 customers at once bringing out multiple pairs in multiple sizes, all while answering phones, and cleaning up after myself as I go. I know it's not the same thing but if I I can carry stacks of shoes taller than me while wearing a suit and a smile I know I can handle being a waiter.

At least when you drop shoes they don't break!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 PM

10,642 posts, read 20,785,867 times
Quote:
So my girlfriend of 2.5 yrs and I were planning on making the move next year, but we recently broke things off. I'm 26 and was gonna move to Chicago where id have a decent paying job, and a couple friends, but I felt uninspired so I'm just gonna stay with my original goal of moving to and living in New York....blah blah blah

Anyways, I this is somewhat spur of the moment so ill have about 10k, But absolutely zero job prospects, and only one contact.

I don't want my own apt, I'm looking to rent a room because to be honest my credit is subpar and since I don't have a job I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna lease me my own place with no income.

I have 3.5 years of high end retail experience, and I am fairly charismatic, but I'm concerned with landing a job immediately because I know how quickly 10k can go in manhattan while looking for an apartment and a job.

Is it unrealistic to think that I could nab a room within 4 days, and a job within 8-10? Can I get a decent job going door to door or is it all craigslist and networking? Is there anything I should absolutely avoid or be especially careful of?
You might be surprised and find out that you have more than one contact. Are you on Facebook? Other social networking? Make some posts, tweets, whatever, and ask your friends if they have friends in NY. This is the best way to find jobs, rooms for rent, etc.

I think you mentioned you work at Nordstrom. Any way you could do a transfer?

Your budget of $900-$1100 for a room in Manhattan is going to be tight. This is more like the cost of a room for rent in some of the average to nice places in Brooklyn and Queens. If you feel like you have to live in Manhattan, try the Upper East Side, as the apartments tend to be more reasonably priced there.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 PM

So if I was looking for one neighborhood each in both bk and queens that had great nightlife and a super quick commute to midtown where would I want to look?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
At least when you drop shoes they don't break!
Haha that's true, I'm definitely used to being bitched at by rich people tho so that's a plus

Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM

9,996 posts, read 7,731,103 times
Quote:
So if I was looking for one neighborhood each in both bk and queens that had great nightlife and a super quick commute to midtown where would I want to look?
Williamsburg in Brooklyn and Astoria in Queens.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,645,702 times
why am I hearing the Frank Sinatra song in my head while reading this thread?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
why am I hearing the Frank Sinatra song in my head while reading this thread?
Probably cuz that damn song was so ingrained into my psyche as a kid while watching Yankee games that now it's causing me to make stupid decisions as an adult haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Williamsburg in Brooklyn and Astoria in Queens.
Any other nabe in brooklyn besides williamsburg worth mentioning?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM

9,996 posts, read 7,731,103 times
Quote:
Any other nabe in brooklyn besides williamsburg worth mentioning?
Pretty much the entire northwest part of the boro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City