U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,079,314 times

Advertisements

You are still young then do it. But make sure this decision you make is based on impaired judgement post-breakup. Some people (including me) do irrational things when they are in the downside mood.
I wish you the best.
And if you want to move, better do it now before Winter comes. It will be easier for you to adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM

33 posts, read 39,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
You are still young then do it. But make sure this decision you make is based on impaired judgement post-breakup. Some people (including me) do irrational things when they are in the downside mood.
I wish you the best.
And if you want to move, better do it now before Winter comes. It will be easier for you to adjust.
Yeah this was something I wanted to do well before the breakup, I almost decided on Chicago immediately following the breakup, but once my mind cleared up I realized I shouldnt let my ex rob me of 2 and a half years and my dream of living in New York. I'm generally not one to make emotional decisions.

I'm hoping to get out there late next month which will give me a little time to settle in before the cold hits too severely.

thanks for wishing me luck, Im sure Im gonna need it in spades.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,813,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneFnR View Post
Yeah this was something I wanted to do well before the breakup, I almost decided on Chicago immediately following the breakup, but once my mind cleared up I realized I shouldnt let my ex rob me of 2 and a half years and my dream of living in New York. I'm generally not one to make emotional decisions.

I'm hoping to get out there late next month which will give me a little time to settle in before the cold hits too severely.

thanks for wishing me luck, Im sure Im gonna need it in spades.
Please post updates, would love to know how you are doing! You seem to have a good, optimistic attitude so that's a great start.

And remember, if it doesn't work out at least you tried and you won't go through the rest of your life wondering "what if".

Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Please post updates, would love to know how you are doing! You seem to have a good, optimistic attitude so that's a great start.

And remember, if it doesn't work out at least you tried and you won't go through the rest of your life wondering "what if".
Exactly, and why do it when I'm 46 when I can do it now.

I will for sure let all you guys know how it turns out. I know how tough the city can be but I'm optimistic because I feel like its a great fit for me.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Flying out early tomorrow! Wish me luck.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 PM

48 posts, read 78,530 times
good luck keep it updated, i wanted to follow your story!! you can do it!!! I will do it soon, like someone else said I did it in LA with a car full of stuff from Florida, found a decent job in 7 days, and a better one in 3 months! 4 years later I Will move to NYC

Old 10-09-2013, 08:12 PM

I found a really got retail job today so at least I have employment and I snagged an apartment with 2 female roomies in Williamsburg to start out

Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,030,254 times
Good for you! It may not be an ideal situation but at least you have a job and place to live, not easy to do when you're coming from across the country on short notice. I'd advise you to stick with what you know though until you're better established. Serving at a nice restaurant is far more difficult than you may think and it sounds like you'd do much better in the high-end retail market. Realize though that Nordstrom is not high-end whatsoever. I know Nordstrom quite well and respect it, shop it frequently. But having a limited selection of Valentino, mostly their RED label at that... at a few select stores does not make for top luxury in any way, shape, or form. Having a very current and generous collection of Valentino does. Most of this is done at the best stores via pre-order, not by the time it actually hits the racks. It may sound elitist but by the time clothing hits the racks it is assumed to be for the masses. The best way to determine how upscale of an environment you're catering to is to do research. The average Nordstrom customer makes 100K a year. Saks is more like 250K (nationwide). I'd imagine it's nearly double at their flagship store. That's where you want to be striving to be. Could make for a very stable career if executed correctly. And if you're personable you could gain a lot of personal clients, which is where the money is at when it comes to NYC retail. Just think of Hermes. A typical bag there costs 30K. With the right kind of personality you could go very far. Good luck!

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 10-09-2013 at 09:54 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Yeah the lady said dept average is 67k a yeah but a few people were making over a hundred k so I'm gonna try to pull in 80 and go from there

Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,030,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneFnR View Post
Yeah the lady said dept average is 67k a yeah but a few people were making over a hundred k so I'm gonna try to pull in 80 and go from there
That is a good start. A lot of people would envy you, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City