U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM

33 posts, read 39,708 times

Advertisements

So my girlfriend of 2.5 yrs and I were planning on making the move next year, but we recently broke things off. I'm 26 and was gonna move to Chicago where id have a decent paying job, and a couple friends, but I felt uninspired so I'm just gonna stay with my original goal of moving to and living in New York....blah blah blah

Anyways, I this is somewhat spur of the moment so ill have about 10k, But absolutely zero job prospects, and only one contact.

I don't want my own apt, I'm looking to rent a room because to be honest my credit is subpar and since I don't have a job I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna lease me my own place with no income.

I have 3.5 years of high end retail experience, and I am fairly charismatic, but I'm concerned with landing a job immediately because I know how quickly 10k can go in manhattan while looking for an apartment and a job.

Is it unrealistic to think that I could nab a room within 4 days, and a job within 8-10? Can I get a decent job going door to door or is it all craigslist and networking? Is there anything I should absolutely avoid or be especially careful of?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 PM

Also I like to go out and drink and socialize often...but I'm not looking to rage and act like I'm still in college. I'm looking for a laid back party nabe in manhattan if that's even a thing that exists.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 PM

150 posts, read 214,235 times
Don't think it's unrealistic to grab a room within 4 days.. By room, I'm assuming you're talking about hotels or something of that nature. A job within 8-10 days? Well, that depends.. Are you looking to do something specific? Or just a.. -insert word here- job like waiter, cashier, etc? I'd think it's possible, but you definitely can't be lazy with searching for one..

I honestly don't know why you would come to NY and try to live here without being fully prepared.. But that's on you ~ good luck!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 PM

I'm just in a situation where it's going to cost me just as much to stay as it will to make the move to nyc. I've researched the move and I'm fairly familiar with the city I'm just moving up my timeline due to this breakup situation. I'm willing to take an initial setback in terms of quality of life in order to make this move now as opposed to later.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:16 AM

1,367 posts, read 1,628,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneFnR View Post
So my girlfriend of 2.5 yrs and I were planning on making the move next year, but we recently broke things off. I'm 26 and was gonna move to Chicago where id have a decent paying job, and a couple friends, but I felt uninspired so I'm just gonna stay with my original goal of moving to and living in New York....blah blah blah

Anyways, I this is somewhat spur of the moment so ill have about 10k, But absolutely zero job prospects, and only one contact.

I don't want my own apt, I'm looking to rent a room because to be honest my credit is subpar and since I don't have a job I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna lease me my own place with no income.

I have 3.5 years of high end retail experience, and I am fairly charismatic, but I'm concerned with landing a job immediately because I know how quickly 10k can go in manhattan while looking for an apartment and a job.

Is it unrealistic to think that I could nab a room within 4 days, and a job within 8-10? Can I get a decent job going door to door or is it all craigslist and networking? Is there anything I should absolutely avoid or be especially careful of?
So you're literally moving from the best city in the US to the worst?

GOOD LUCK LOL

Old 07-09-2013, 07:16 AM

27 posts, read 31,714 times
I think it's possible.

Once in my life, I had a similar situation, working and living in Albany and I was sick of it. Fortunately, I has some friends where I could sleep and take a shower but nowdays, I'm sure you can find roomates via Craigslist with no problem. In my case, I got there on Saturday afternoon, went to look for a job on Monday and started working on Wednesday. It was awsome because it was bartending in a restaurant, so I had a whole morning to find a decent job.

And if I may say, you can still try to find a job via Monster etc., I recently sent around 20 job applications, got 6 invites for an interview, but since I'm currently in Europe and they were hiring immediately, it was impossible for me to land a job, but in your case, I can't find a reason why you shouldn't succeed.

p.s. sorry for my English, It's not my native language

Old 07-09-2013, 07:23 AM

316 posts, read 465,719 times
Move to Chicago where you will have a job and friends.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
So you're literally moving from the best city in the US to the worst?

GOOD LUCK LOL
I don't really see it that way. I grew up here and other than the weather and women I really find this place to be pretty lame. You get judged for being even slightly different, looked at funny for talking about art, and looked at even funnier for talking about leaving san diego. I just need a place that offers me more than a easy lifestyle. I'm not an outdoors person and I don't have a car right now because I had ditched my car last year to carpool with my gf and save money to make this move. At 26 I can already afford pretty much everything that I want out of this city, so I'm not feeling motivated to improve myself or my work situation. New York is the only city I've been to that makes me want to work my ass off to enjoy all that it offers...it's a good fit for me mentally.

Chicago would probably be easier, but I don't need easy, I've had that for the last 26 years. What it really came down to was this: I wasnt dreaming about living in Chicago since I was a little kid, I was dreaming about New York. And I'm lucky enough to have this situation where I'm single, hate my job, have no debt, and happen to have 10k (not a ton, but enough to make this move if I'm smart). It's the best shot I have to make this happen at a young age.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Go for it! I made a move to LA with more money than that but in your same situation, and I wound up OK. I'm going to be doing the same thing when I move to New York soon.

Try to find a place as soon as you get there. You can definitely find one within a week. And just apply to as many jobs as you can. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM

2,378 posts, read 2,484,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneFnR View Post
... because I know how quickly 10k can go in manhattan while looking for an apartment and a job. ...
No need to stay in manhattan while you search for a job...

I guess I'd say... rent a storage unit outside the city for your non critical things then rent a cheap room from craigslist or stay in a hostel until you find a job. Then settle your apartment.

I'm not sure what stuff you have to bring, but ie uhaul charges by the mile right? Whatever you can't fit in your car probably isn't financially worth trying to keep. Or maybe you have family nearby that can store your important stuff so you can just move by flight and have the rest shipped later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City