U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,650,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Just wondering, I'm planning a move to the city and know ny winters get cold. I own a few frs (one faux, but nice, one real im debating on buying have been saving up, but dont want to invest if ill be an easy mark for thugs on the street or peta. I'd like to hear from a New Yorkers perspective, would these coats be ok to wear on the streets, subway,etc? Or would I be constricted to wearing just to formal events where I wouldn't be doing a lot of walking.

White Fur Coat - I NEED this. Reminds me of a ... | ridiculous wants

http://s7d2.scene7.com/e2/FabulousFu...o/14227IVO.mp4 (I own this one)
Most women don’t wear fur coats every day—even if they can afford it. I don’t know if it’s a moral issue or if it’s simply not fashionable. Women might wear some fur (on the collar, for example), but not a full-length coat. If you wore a fur coat on the subway you’d look more like a Russian immigrant living in Brighton Beach than someone from SoHo.

I suggest you hold off on your purchase until after you move. What’s fashionable in New York is very different than in the rest of the country—especially at the high-end. You may find that your investment is misplaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,829,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Most women donít wear fur coats every dayóeven if they can afford it. I donít know if itís a moral issue or if itís simply not fashionable.
Both.
Excellent observations.
I did smile when I envisioned Soho ambitions juxtaposed to the fur coat thing.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,932,400 times
Anybody thinks this guy gets harassed a lot?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,918,573 times
I say bring your fur coat and wear it proudly. If people have a problem with it then they can go eff themselves. You shouldn't not have to be afraid to wear fur because some righteous PETA douche frowns upon it. We have been wearing furs since the days we first walked the earth. We kill animals for worse reasons than for their hide. Don't be afraid, be proud. And once you pass by a PETA douche make sure you give him/her the finger as you pass them by.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,829,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I say bring your fur coat and wear it proudly. If people have a problem with it then they can go eff themselves. You shouldn't not have to be afraid to wear fur because some righteous PETA douche frowns upon it. We have been wearing furs since the days we first walked the earth. We kill animals for worse reasons than for their hide. Don't be afraid, be proud. And once you pass by a PETA douche make sure you give him/her the finger as you pass them by.
This is really funny.

There you go, OP. One of your people.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM

265 posts, read 433,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Most women don’t wear fur coats every day—even if they can afford it. I don’t know if it’s a moral issue or if it’s simply not fashionable. Women might wear some fur (on the collar, for example), but not a full-length coat. If you wore a fur coat on the subway you’d look more like a Russian immigrant living in Brighton Beach than someone from SoHo.

I suggest you hold off on your purchase until after you move. What’s fashionable in New York is very different than in the rest of the country—especially at the high-end. You may find that your investment is misplaced.
Excellent advice. Thanks. I must say didnt see too many furs in SOHO--def more of an artsy even 'bohemian' theme goin' on LAst time I sppent considerable time in nyc during winter was in the early 00's--perhaps things have changed fashion wise. I think I might hold off on the f/l furs and stick to trims and down atleast until I get there. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM

5,702 posts, read 5,161,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
just curious--do you eat meat and wear leather?
nope

Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,257,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
nope
cool...I asked because I knew a few people who liked to get all preachy sometimes but had no problem scarfing down a steak and sporting new $500 leather boots lol

Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Brooklyn (hopefully just temp) until I can get a place in SOHO.
I ask that cause it may make you a target. If you are riding the train past the "hood" eyes may be on you since everyday folks can't afford to wear furs daily.

See even though I don't condone wearing fur I still care about the OP well being.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
cool...I asked because I knew a few people who liked to get all preachy sometimes but had no problem scarfing down a steak and sporting new $500 leather boots lol
Nah I'm not a peta preacher but I do enjoy making those side comments to people who wear fur. Especially the old rich ues woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or