Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nice View Post
I have a russian fur hat. Never been hassled by hood rats or crooks, but gt stink eye from some anial rights skeezer a few years ago
And the OP has found yet another like-minded companion !
Birds of a feather and all. And I would bet, also hoping to move to Soho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Yes, we all do.

However ... it is important not to discourage people from making even small moves in the right direction.
It isn't all-or-nothing. If many people made very small changes, it would add up. Then people would be encouraged to make more changes. And so on.
"Right direction"?

What direction would that be? The direction you define?

Keep preaching to those of small minds and little independent thought. They just might follow you to Hell!

The Nazis are out today. Right. Wrong. Who defines? More importantly, who *imposes*?

Because I think different, I am wrong? If I think the same, I am right?

Let us all march in the same direction, into the abyss....

OP, wearing fur everyday would get old. Wearing fur, diamonds, andd most things attributing *wealth* on the subway just isn't done. The subway is the great equalizer, no matter who you are you could be squeezed next to a homeless person, a blue collar worker, a rapist, a Wall Street executive, a robber, a housewife, and/or every sort known to mankind.

When you want to dress up in your very best, it is best to hire a car, be it black car, limo, or plain taxi.

It is important WHERE you will liive. You may be capable of affording a place commensurate with a fur at present, but in NYC, your capability will likely be vastly different! Brooklyn, sseparated from NYC w/b the third largest city in the US, so WHERE are you planning to live? In a Brooklyn ghetto or in upscale Brownstone Brooklyn? Tthere is a good bit between those extremes. Saying I am going to live in Brooklyn is meaningless!

Oh, and in this thread, it is important to note, many if not most of the negative commenters are of little means, just getting by in NYC, and do not have the disposable income to afford a fur. Their opinions are based upon their social status.

One's opinions are most validated when one can afford a thing, yet has the conviction to resist and/or to turn down temptation.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 PM

148 posts, read 271,355 times
IMO it should make you a Target,you and anybody else who wears fur!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
[quote=jcoltrane;30423235]"Right direction"?

Oh, and in this thread, it is important to note, many if not most of the negative commenters are of little means, just getting by in NYC, and do not have the disposable income to afford a fur. Their opinions are based upon their social status.

One's opinions are most validated when one can afford a thing, yet has the conviction to resist and/or to turn down temptation.[/QUOTE

Nope some of us just don't believe in the cruel treatment of those animals you get the fur from. Has Nothing to do with being able to afford it or not...

Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM

148 posts, read 271,355 times
I am lost for words, ( well not literally ) to suggest that going into the "hood" may have eyes upon you because they can't afford to wear fur is insane and quite frankly arrogant!
So because people live in the "hood" as you call it they automatically have no morals? No beliefs?
They will surely only be looking at you because you're wearing fur, could not surely be because they are as disgusted as the next human being?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
If you're going to wear fur, don't take the subway, ride in a limo. Riding in the subway ruins the effect.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,995 times
Um, you've been posting about fur coats and Manhattan since 2011... are you moving or not? How about you move first and see what people are wearing and then make up your mind?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
"Right direction"?

What direction would that be? The direction you define?

Keep preaching to those of small minds and little independent thought. They just might follow you to Hell!

The Nazis are out today. Right. Wrong. Who defines? More importantly, who *imposes*?

Because I think different, I am wrong? If I think the same, I am right?

Let us all march in the same direction, into the abyss....

OP, wearing fur everyday would get old. Wearing fur, diamonds, andd most things attributing *wealth* on the subway just isn't done. The subway is the great equalizer, no matter who you are you could be squeezed next to a homeless person, a blue collar worker, a rapist, a Wall Street executive, a robber, a housewife, and/or every sort known to mankind.

When you want to dress up in your very best, it is best to hire a car, be it black car, limo, or plain taxi.

It is important WHERE you will liive. You may be capable of affording a place commensurate with a fur at present, but in NYC, your capability will likely be vastly different! Brooklyn, sseparated from NYC w/b the third largest city in the US, so WHERE are you planning to live? In a Brooklyn ghetto or in upscale Brownstone Brooklyn? Tthere is a good bit between those extremes. Saying I am going to live in Brooklyn is meaningless!

One's opinions are most validated when one can afford a thing, yet has the conviction to resist and/or to turn down temptation.
What drivel.
People were right.
Responding in the spirit of your trajectory, ethical interests aside - people who wear furs and advocate similar are always either 90 years old or nouveau riche, which is much more about cultural orientation than money. What could be worse.
I do tolerate the former, as we must, but the latter - not well.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycvix View Post
I am lost for words, ( well not literally ) to suggest that going into the "hood" may have eyes upon you because they can't afford to wear fur is insane and quite frankly arrogant!
So because people live in the "hood" as you call it they automatically have no morals? No beliefs?
They will surely only be looking at you because you're wearing fur, could not surely be because they are as disgusted as the next human being?
FYI - plenty of 'hood folk wear fur. In fact, most of the objectionable residents do. It is, again, the "new money" thing. The distasteful flaunting of what they understand as status because they have nothing real.

At the same time, you are right that there are people living in ghetto neighborhoods who have a strong sense of decency.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM

[quote=livingsinglenyc;30423471]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
"Right direction"?

One's opinions are most validated when one can afford a thing, yet has the conviction to resist and/or to turn down temptation.[/QUOTE

Nope some of us just don't believe in the cruel treatment of those animals you get the fur from. Has Nothing to do with being able to afford it or not...
I know, shocking that someone could be that ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City